Ty21 and ET Proudly Present, an ET80 and Ty production: Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty (potential spoilers)

ET80

I feel it’s important to bring up this show …given we’re primarily a sports message board.

This show is GREAT. A throwback to the late 70s/early 80s and the origins of one of the best and most recognizable sports dynasties ever, the Showtime Los Angeles Lakers. It really weaves in the story of Dr. Jerry Buss buying a fledgling franchise in a near failing league along with the ascension of Earvin “Magic” Johnson - from NCAA phenom from Michigan State to the most recognizable basketball player in the world (up until 1984ish). 

There might be some details that are dramatically enhanced - but the core details are intact, and the storytelling, camera work and acting are absolutely top notch. Quincy Isaiah as Magic Johnson is a near carbon copy of Magic - his look, his voice, the way he moves - all of it, it’s incredible. John C. Reilly as Dr. Jerry Buss is another inspired casting choice, where his comedic timing represents the flamboyant playboy that Buss was.

Just a great show. Anyone else watching?

• Like 2

Been here since day 1. I’m okay with McKay and Ferrell not being friends anymore because Ferrell wasn’t cast, it would’ve been a terrible casting. A lot of it seems on point so far. Finally a decent sports show on hbo after they forced me through ballers 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Been here since day 1. I’m okay with McKay and Ferrell not being friends anymore because Ferrell wasn’t cast, it would’ve been a terrible casting. A lot of it seems on point so far. Finally a decent sports show on hbo after they forced me through ballers 

Wait, is that why they had a blow up, because McKay didn't cast Ferrell as Buss?

10 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Wait, is that why they had a blow up, because McKay didn't cast Ferrell as Buss?

That’s officially why but it sounds like it’s been building for a while and they each wanted to make different kinds of movies. I feel like they nailed a lot of the likenesses in the show but Ferrell looks nothing like Buss 

I didn't like how the handled West early on by making him some hardass that I don't think he ever was but they at east backed it up with depth. Everything else so far has been great. It's insane how crazy that first offseason and a month of the season actually were.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I'm excited for season 42 where Lebron builds one of the worst rosters of his career.

I’ve talked about it with some buddies - I’d really like to see one about The New England Patriots. Start it from when Drew Bledsoe had his lungs removed by Mo Lewis, the actual start of Brady/Belicheck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I feel it’s important to bring up this show …given we’re primarily a sports message board.

This show is GREAT. A throwback to the late 70s/early 80s and the origins of one of the best and most recognizable sports dynasties ever, the Showtime Los Angeles Lakers. It really weaves in the story of Dr. Jerry Buss buying a fledgling franchise in a near failing league along with the ascension of Earvin “Magic” Johnson - from NCAA phenom from Michigan State to the most recognizable basketball player in the world (up until 1984ish). 

There might be some details that are dramatically enhanced - but the core details are intact, and the storytelling, camera work and acting are absolutely top notch. Quincy Isaiah as Magic Johnson is a near carbon copy of Magic - his look, his voice, the way he moves - all of it, it’s incredible. John C. Reilly as Dr. Jerry Buss is another inspired casting choice, where his comedic timing represents the flamboyant playboy that Buss was.

Just a great show. Anyone else watching?

Oh there definitely are. Jerry West, for example, is like a caricature, but I’m ok with it. I think of it as a comedic historical fiction, and I love it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I'm excited for season 42 where Lebron builds one of the worst rosters of his career.

I WOULD like to see them get to a point when Jordan was drafted. Maybe even talk of how they’d pick Sam Bowie over Jordan in that spot, too.