Last Chance 2022 Mock - Discussion

dcat

@dcat I'm representing the Jets in another collaborative mock elsewhere. 

So far that draft sits at pick 21 I believe. I ended up sitting pat at 4 and 10, grabbed Sauce Gardner at 4 (the secondary was bad last year and he brings an attitude). I had kind of planned to go Edge or Olave at 10. But when Kyle Hamilton slid right down to 10 I couldn't help myself. Two core pieces on the back end for the next 5 years who both have the potential to be All-pros. Any thoughts on that approach?

The downside is, unlike the other mocks I've done this year, the teens had a savage run at WR and all of the consensus top went by 18. So any thoughts I had about potentially moving up for Olave in the late first were dashed. 

Now with the two 2nds I'm planning on splitting them between Edge and somewhere on offense. I certainly considered going Olave and coming back around to S in the 2nd. Anyways...Gardner and Hamilton certainly might prove to be the correct move in time. In mock form, we can't KNOW...

13 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

So far that draft sits at pick 21 I believe. I ended up sitting pat at 4 and 10, grabbed Sauce Gardner at 4 (the secondary was bad last year and he brings an attitude). I had kind of planned to go Edge or Olave at 10. But when Kyle Hamilton slid right down to 10 I couldn't help myself. Two core pieces on the back end for the next 5 years who both have the potential to be All-pros. Any thoughts on that approach?

The downside is, unlike the other mocks I've done this year, the teens had a savage run at WR and all of the consensus top went by 18. So any thoughts I had about potentially moving up for Olave in the late first were dashed. 

Now with the two 2nds I'm planning on splitting them between Edge and somewhere on offense. I certainly considered going Olave and coming back around to S in the 2nd. Anyways...Gardner and Hamilton certainly might prove to be the correct move in time. In mock form, we can't KNOW...

Jets fans do not want Hamilton at 10. Period. We are still suffering from PTSD caused by absurdly drafting Jamal Adams in rd 1, immediately followed by Marcus Maye in round 2 of the same draft. No. Not for another decade does the word safety and round 1 go together. /the end

I don't mean to be rude, but Hamilton in rd 1 is very disturbing

Edited by dcat
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

I like Olave. 

1 minute ago, dcat said:

Jets fans do not want Hamilton at 10. Period. We are still suffering from PTD caused by absurdly drafting Jamal Adams in rd 1, immediately followed by Marcus Maye in round 2 of the same draft. No. Not for another decade does the word safety and round 1 go together. /the end

I don't mean to be rude, but Hamilton in rd 1 is very disturbing

I understand the frustration possibly related to the decisions of those prior drafts. But I would make the counter argument that was a different regime. I would say Hamilton is more versatile than Adams, and that Marcus Maye, for all his positives, was a reach in round 2. Should have been a round 3-4 pick. That regime just clearly wanted to solve their Safety issues, and committed whole sale to that. Somewhat similar to the Falcons double dip on OL a couple-3 years back. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

I understand the frustration possibly related to the decisions of those prior drafts. But I would make the counter argument that was a different regime. I would say Hamilton is more versatile than Adams, and that Marcus Maye, for all his positives, was a reach in round 2. Should have been a round 3-4 pick. That regime just clearly wanted to solve their Safety issues, and committed whole sale to that. Somewhat similar to the Falcons double dip on OL a couple-3 years back. 

Here's why we need Edge at 4 or 10: The Jets pass rusher in the last 25 years has been Jamal Adams.  Rd 1 will likely include at least 1 OT, Edge or WR.  If the picks are Sauce/Hamilton, sit back, grab your popcorn and visit the Jetsnation forum to watch the fireworks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dcat said:

Here's why we need Edge at 4 or 10: The Jets pass rusher in the last 25 years has been Jamal Adams.  Rd 1 will likely include at least 1 OT, Edge or WR.  If the picks are Sauce/Hamilton, sit back, grab your popcorn and visit the Jetsnation forum to watch the fireworks.

LoL. Maybe true. But in my scenario I'm Joe Douglas, I get final say, and I made the call. 

I certainly could have gone Olave or J.J. at 10. In truth I really love Olave myself. He's my #1. But I don't think the WR need on this team is quite as glaring as DB or Edge. Probably rank OT over WR as well personally. I mean Corey Davis is coming back, E.Moore looked very good last year. They signed some decent TE's. I think Saleh would prefer to build up the OL and protect the young QB with the running game. Play good defense and keep the scores lower, at least for another year while Zach grows as a passer.

I think if he survives to me Mafe will be my first pick in round 2, then I'll try to find another value Edge in round 3 or later.

32 minutes ago, BowserBroncos said:

Oh boy....draft someone you think should have been looooooong gone but isn't a need or draft the top player on the board that would fit a need?

I'll think about this for the next 30-40 minutes, if someone wants to trade up and give me more time to think...🤣

Depends. I think after the move for Wilson Broncos are thinking win-now. So if it were me I'd go for option B; Filling a need

• Like 2

Just now, RTTRUTH said:

Depends. I think after the move for Wilson Broncos are thinking win-now. So if it were me I'd go for option B; Filling a need

Greatfully Atlanta move up.....I'm pretty ok on moving down since I have so many guys that I like and fill a need still on the board