Browns extend CB Denzel Ward (5 years, $100.5M, $71.25M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

11 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

He is very good, hes not Jalen Ramsey good but I would say equally good as guy like Xavien Howard. The only thing he doesnt have on his side is injury luck--he gets banged up quite a bit because of his slender size. However, when he is on the field I would say the only 3 CBs you could definitively say are better would be Alexander, Humphrey and Ramsey. Howard and Ward I would put in the 4th-5th spots IMO.

How do you figure? 

He’s giving up more catches, yards/game, same or more TDs/game, and significantly less turnovers than guys like Howard or Jackson. 

I’d rather have JC for $17M than Denzel for $20M.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

How do you figure? 

He’s giving up more catches, yards/game, same or more TDs/game, and significantly less turnovers than guys like Howard or Jackson. 

I’d rather have JC for $17M than Denzel for $20M.

You place far too much trust in a former Patriots defender. You want to go out and sign Jamie Collins and Malcom Butler too?

There is a better chance JC bombs in LA than there is him living up to that contract strictly based off NE defenders past production post-BB.

Edited by AkronsWitness

18 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

You place far too much trust in a former Patriots defender. You want to go out and sign Jamie Collins and Malcom Butler too?

There is a better chance JC bombs in LA than there is him living up to that contract strictly based off NE defenders past production post-BB.

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

How do you figure? 

So your case is that Denzel>JC because the latter used to be a Patriot? Interesting argument. 

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

It's going to be very interesting to see how the Browns navigate the cap next year. It is very likely this deal will already project them as over the cap in 2023. I'm sure they have a plan, just not sure exactly what it is. I thought Ward would be the one they let go. A Watson restructure akin to what we've done with Mahomes could work, though it's less manageable long term on the (relatively) shorter deal.

Also, honest question, as someone who has not watched Ward substantially. Is he worth this? My impression was that Ward was good, but one of those guys who is a bigger name due to draft position than due to his pro play so far. Not like, a disappointment, but not a star either. Is he actually this good?

This was my take as well.

Makes the Ramsey deal look good though so I'm not mad

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

It's going to be very interesting to see how the Browns navigate the cap next year. It is very likely this deal will already project them as over the cap in 2023. I'm sure they have a plan, just not sure exactly what it is. I thought Ward would be the one they let go. A Watson restructure akin to what we've done with Mahomes could work, though it's less manageable long term on the (relatively) shorter deal.

Also, honest question, as someone who has not watched Ward substantially. Is he worth this? My impression was that Ward was good, but one of those guys who is a bigger name due to draft position than due to his pro play so far. Not like, a disappointment, but not a star either. Is he actually this good?

I hope we are not relying on someone pick up the tab on Baker 

3 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

So your case is that Denzel>JC because the latter used to be a Patriot? Interesting argument. 

Well...it's also because of things like this. There isn't too many pure cover corners in the league better than him. Especially on a island with no safety help where he has proven to be one of, if not the best in the league.

But again, he's as quiet as a church mouse so many fans of other teams don't know this type of stuff about him.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I've been saying JC is not gonna not live up to that contract since he was still playing meaningful football for the Patriots. 

5 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Well...it's also because of things like this. There isn't too many pure cover corners in the league better than him. Especially on a island with no safety help where he has proven to be one of, if not the best in the league.

But again, he's as quiet as a church mouse so many fans of other teams don't know this type of stuff about him.

If we’re going to use PFF - JC had a higher grade in both 1v1 coverage and overall grading. Saw 30~ more targets in 2 more games and only gave up 5 more catches. Less touchdowns. Only 2 less INTs in 2021 than Denzel’s had in his career. Passer rating isn’t close. 

Really no argument for Ward over Jackson, without delving into 3+ years ago when JC was barely even getting snaps. Last two seasons, Jackson’s been the better player. 

7 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I've been saying JC is not gonna not live up to that contract since he was still playing meaningful football for the Patriots. 

It also says a lot that NE and BB didnt do too much to try and keep him either.....not a franchise tag, nothing. That tells me all I need to know. If BB knows your good, your going to be staying in NE. Jackson is the type of guy that they are going to let go, let him perform lackluster elsewhere for a year or two and then come back to the Patriots on a discounted rate.