Round 2 Pick 34; Christian Watson, WR, NDSU

Packerraymond

2 hours ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

This is exactly it. He doesn’t create separation (besides go routes and stop routes.) Hes not a big body who bodies guys out and dominates with contested catches. So he’s limited. He’s going to be feast or famine. Two big plays for 110 yards one game and then 0 the next game. 

But we needed a deep threat and we got one. He’s going to produce. I highly doubt he’s a bust.

I just don’t think he’ll ever be a consistent #1 receiver. I see him as a deep threat and a #2 guy. 

I think the Packers know what they got in Watson, Yes he will require some seasoning and coaching.  Will he attain #1 status??  He has a lot of work to do for that, but he could over time.  

First things first, work on catching the freaking ball,  and go from there.  

The kid will be dynamic whatever his role is and as long as he catches the ball.

Edited by NFLGURU

50 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

pr132836img3.jpg

They should really change their playbook, clearly not working.

They're so *insertrword'ed*

They're goal isn't to get that dude the most yards or the best ******* draft stock. That being said I do think they play too conservative but that's kind of that conferences' MO.

51 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

How are fans of the team that drafted Rashan Gary unaware of "sometimes projectable traits are much more important than production"?

Because they want to feel smart when he doesn't work out and tell everyone even though odds are way on their side anyways. 

And they have no ability to look at the progression other players have made. They forget they worked themselves into it and act like they always were and everyone always knew they had the stuff.

It's what idiots do. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Rashan Gary will never be a consistent #1 WR...

I'm still mad that a guy who told me Kumerow got open all the time and I was an idiot for thinking he doesn't, like a week after wanted to legit move Gary to ILB. I even still remember who it was even though he never posts anymore.

Tall guys at WR are pretty rare. To find a guy who’s 6’4” plus who can move well enough to create separation is rare. 

Most of the tall guys have big bodies and box out to create separation. 

If taller was really better, WR rooms would look like basketball teams. But it’s not an advantage. It’s a disadvantage. 

There are three tall skinny guys who have ever gone over 10,000 yards. AJ Green, Keyshon Johnson and Randy Moss. The other 47 guys had a different body type. 

So physically he has to overcome his height (slower breaks and cuts) and slight build (no advantage in blocking out). He will be a rarity if he somehow makes it. 

That’s why I say he’s not raw. He’s played a lot of football. He’s limited. But three guys in the history of the NFL have overcome it. There’s no saying he can’t. 

He is going to have to be a worker and a grinder if he wants to round out his game. There’s no saying he can’t, just that it’s going to be really hard. 

39 minutes ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

Tall guys at WR are pretty rare. To find a guy who’s 6’4” plus who can move well enough to create separation is rare. 

Most of the tall guys have big bodies and box out to create separation. 

If taller was really better, WR rooms would look like basketball teams. But it’s not an advantage. It’s a disadvantage. 

There are three tall skinny guys who have ever gone over 10,000 yards. AJ Green, Keyshon Johnson and Randy Moss. The other 47 guys had a different body type. 

So physically he has to overcome his height (slower breaks and cuts) and slight build (no advantage in blocking out). He will be a rarity if he somehow makes it. 

That’s why I say he’s not raw. He’s played a lot of football. He’s limited. But three guys in the history of the NFL have overcome it. There’s no saying he can’t. 

He is going to have to be a worker and a grinder if he wants to round out his game. There’s no saying he can’t, just that it’s going to be really hard. 

Is the expectation for Watson to achieve 10k in receiving yards?

Did any of Nelson, Jennings, Jones, Adams, Cobb reach 10k yards?

Edited by squire12
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

He blocks. You can throw him screens and let him go to work with the ball in his hands. You can give him end arounds and let him press the edges of the defense. He runs a good stop route. And he gets amazing YAC after catching them. Most of all, he’s a deep threat. 

He’s a good player. 

I just don’t think he’s a consistent #1 WR and I don’t think he has the skillset to ever be. 

That's your opinion, I hope he lights it up ... not sure he was ever drafted to be the #1 receiver.  Being a #2 would be just fine for a 2nd round choice.  

2 hours ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

This is a Packers board. I get it. Your second round receiver is the best receiver in the draft. Non of his red flags are red flags. Everything he didn’t do in college is because the team didn’t ask him to get open. 

We got the steal of the draft at 34 and the other teams are stupid for passing on him. ****, we passed on him twice. 

I know you don’t want to hear that he has weaknesses, but I’m shooting straight. He has red flags and weaknesses. That’s why a 6’4” guy who runs 4.36 lasted until the second round. He would have been taken earlier if he was a sure thing.

Sorry dude ... thinking you are one hell of a troll ... sorry.

13 minutes ago, squire12 said:

So GB has only had 1 true #1 WR in the franchise history. 

He's going to get 9997 career yards and the dude will swear he was right. Just wasn't quite consistent enough to get 10k

• Like 1

You can go to top 150 and add Ed McCaffrey to the list. This is careers like Amari Cooper, Randall Cobb and Robert Woods. 

So you get 5 guys out of 150 who are tall and skinny. That’s 3%. 

It’s rare to find tall skinny #1’s. 

They struggle to create separation and don’t have the bodies to box out. It’s a bad combo. 

But Watson is a deep threat, runs a good stop route and turns up field like a beast and you can run him on jet sweeps. He can be a good #2 with his skillset. But people creaming their pants over him are going to be disappointed. He has to get the ball in his hands before he can use his best skill (his talent with the ball in his hands) and he doesn’t project to do that like a #1