Trade Up to 50, pick WR Tyquan Thornton

DoleINGout

On 5/10/2022 at 9:52 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Why did he fail so bad? Surely he could have found a place just being a monster. But even that he couldn't do

Internal makeup. You tell someone he has to do this and he follows it to the letter. unfortunately that's not the way it works. can't always run through the wall sometimes you have to go around it or find another way.

On 5/10/2022 at 5:52 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Just used Mockdraftable to find comps.

He doesn't have a great likeliness score with anyone. For example, Tee Higgins has a likeliness score of 98.4% with Drake London 

Thornton's closest is Paul Richardson at 76%. Then, it's Kevin Austin (same broad jump, wing span and tiny hands). Also not unlike Pickens from this class.

He's kind of rare...

As an aside, Cam McGrone is a replica of Dylan Moses. According to metrics/measurables. I know you weren't high on him...

T&T reminds me of James Lofton. They both have a floating rhythm when they run. There's a certain glide when they move.

4 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

from who?

Weei .. I'll believe it when I see it. 

Judge at least had some more experience on the offense and I believe it was mentioned he was involved in the offense with the Giants.. how you don't give Caley a shot I have no idea though

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... so I keep hearing that Thornton is going to struggle at the next level because of his size.. does anyone else find this to be ridiculous? I find it hard to believe he's just going to get run over by CB's at the next level or thrown aside on jump balls leading to interceptions. 

Given that people keep saying this, I thought back to this draft in general.. WR's in general don't seem to weigh over 200 like everyone seems to be wanting. The funny thing though is that everyone keeps bringing it up about Thornton and never any other WR's in this class. He could certainly be a bust, and I wouldn't be surprised if they want him to put on 5-10 lbs without losing his speed .. but his weight isn't going to be the reason why he potentially fails in the NFL

Tyquan Thornton

6'2

181 lbs 

Fastest player in draft

Below average agility numbers

Elite explosiveness metrics 

• Garrett Wilson (Top 10 Pick) 
    • 5'11 (Shorter than Thornton) 
    • 183 lbs (2lbs heavier than Thornton) 
    • 4.38 40 (Slower than Thornton) 
    • Below average agility testing (Same as Thornton) 
    • Worse explosive metrics than Thornton
  • Jameson Williams (1st Rd Pick) 
    • 6'1 ( Shorter than Thornton) 
    • 179 lbs ( 2lbs LESS than Thornton) 
  • Chris Olave ( 1st Rd Pick)
    • 6'0 (Shorter than Thornton) 
    • 187 lbs (6 lbs heavier than Thornton) 
    • 4.39 40 (Slower than Thornton) 
    • Worse explosiveness metrics 
  • Jahan Dotson ( 1st Rd Pick) 
    • 5'10 ( Shorter than Thornton) 
    • 178lbs (3lbs LESS than Thornton) 
    • Worse Speed Metrics
    • Worse Explosiveness Metrics

The two big knocks I keep hearing about him are that he is too skinny and his agility numbers were bad... so if that's so important... are all of these 1st round picks going to fail too? 

The point I'm making is simply that I don't believe the narrative around the guy makes sense right now. It feels like everyone heard he was a reach and never watched him play so they point to his weight and say he will fail... but all of those same people would have gone crazy if the team drafted Jameson Williams in the first round... It would have been really fun to see Thornton with 1 year at Alabama similar to Williams. I really wonder if the narrative would have been similar, because before transferring to Alabama Williams was on the bench at Ohio State. 

On 5/26/2022 at 10:15 PM, Crimmage said:

Thornton is going to struggle at the next level because of his size.. does anyone else find this to be ridiculous?

No i don't think it is ridiculous and it has nothing to do with the player.  It has to do with history with someone his size in the NFL. Instead of me writing, here is a article that explains my concern.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/devonta-smith-size-height-weight-alabama-crimson-tide-nfl-draft-comparisons

his agility numbers were bad... so if that's so important... are all of these 1st round picks going to fail too? 

IMO these players offer so much more potential, which means nothing to me however others would argue potential til the cows come home. I could care less how a player gets it done.  T&T potential (game) is like Metcalf, Willie Gault and Ted Ginn.

IMO  He has no idea how to play WR. He learned nothing at Baylor that will help him at the next level. That the only reason he will/could fail in the NFL, especially with the Pat's so call complicated system.

Alabama Williams was on the bench at Ohio State

This has no bearing on William skill level. I have seen 100's of idiot coaches that had no clue. EX Tom Brady MU coach Carr. I would shake my head screaming at the TV play frigging Brady! 

IMO T&T would of been better off transferring.  Baylor's gimmick offense does no favor for their WRs that want to play in the NFL.

Edited by m haynes

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2022 at 3:15 AM, Crimmage said:

Ok... so I keep hearing that Thornton is going to struggle at the next level because of his size.. does anyone else find this to be ridiculous? I find it hard to believe he's just going to get run over by CB's at the next level or thrown aside on jump balls leading to interceptions. 

Given that people keep saying this, I thought back to this draft in general.. WR's in general don't seem to weigh over 200 like everyone seems to be wanting. The funny thing though is that everyone keeps bringing it up about Thornton and never any other WR's in this class. He could certainly be a bust, and I wouldn't be surprised if they want him to put on 5-10 lbs without losing his speed .. but his weight isn't going to be the reason why he potentially fails in the NFL

Tyquan Thornton

6'2

181 lbs 

Fastest player in draft

Below average agility numbers

Elite explosiveness metrics 

• Garrett Wilson (Top 10 Pick) 
    • 5'11 (Shorter than Thornton) 
    • 183 lbs (2lbs heavier than Thornton) 
    • 4.38 40 (Slower than Thornton) 
    • Worse explosive metrics than Thornton
  • Jameson Williams (1st Rd Pick) 
    • 6'1 ( Shorter than Thornton) 
    • 179 lbs ( 2lbs LESS than Thornton) 
  • Chris Olave ( 1st Rd Pick)
    • 6'0 (Shorter than Thornton) 
    • 187 lbs (6 lbs heavier than Thornton) 
    • 4.39 40 (Slower than Thornton) 
    • Worse explosiveness metrics 
  • Jahan Dotson ( 1st Rd Pick) 
    • 5'10 ( Shorter than Thornton) 
    • 178lbs (3lbs LESS than Thornton) 
    • Worse Speed Metrics
    • Worse Explosiveness Metrics

The two big knocks I keep hearing about him are that he is too skinny and his agility numbers were bad... so if that's so important... are all of these 1st round picks going to fail too? 

The point I'm making is simply that I don't believe the narrative around the guy makes sense right now. It feels like everyone heard he was a reach and never watched him play so they point to his weight and say he will fail... but all of those same people would have gone crazy if the team drafted Jameson Williams in the first round... It would have been really fun to see Thornton with 1 year at Alabama similar to Williams. I really wonder if the narrative would have been similar, because before transferring to Alabama Williams was on the bench at Ohio State. 

I was listening to Phill Perry on a podcast, he did some digging on prospects like Thornton to compare and maybe get an insight to how he'd do.

Here's the thing - there are no comparisons.

WRs who were over 6ft but under 185 lbs at the combine over the last 20 years; Devante Smith, Dede Westbrook, Mario Manningham and Brandon Lloyd. Rare to be this skinny.

Then he did sub 4.3 40 WRs in that same time span - John Ross, Rondale Menendez, Brashad Perryman, Jerome Mathis, Dre Archer, Marquise Goodwin, Anthony Schwartz, Mike Wallace, Jacoby Ford, JJ Nelson and Johnny Knox.

So no overlaps - NONE. Only Thornton does. The NFL has never seen anything like Thornton, in terms of combining his weight and speed 

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 2

Brandon Lloyd was under 185? That's an interesting one because he was with the Patriots for 1 year. I think he had something like 950 yards too, would be interesting to see if they profile him as a faster Lloyd if that's the case. 

6 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Brandon Lloyd was under 185? That's an interesting one because he was with the Patriots for 1 year. I think he had something like 950 yards too, would be interesting to see if they profile him as a faster Lloyd if that's the case. 

Lloyd's issue wasn't lack of skill. He was just a wuss who never fought for extra yards and shied away from contact. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 4:34 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

I was listening to Phill Perry on a podcast, he did some digging on prospects like Thornton to compare and maybe get an insight to how he'd do.

Here's the thing - there are no comparisons.

WRs who were over 6ft but under 185 lbs at the combine over the last 20 years; Devante Smith, Dede Westbrook, Mario Manningham and Brandon Lloyd. Rare to be this skinny.

Then he did sub 4.3 40 WRs in that same time span - John Ross, Rondale Menendez, Brashad Perryman, Jerome Mathis, Dre Archer, Marquise Goodwin, Anthony Schwartz, Mike Wallace, Jacoby Ford, JJ Nelson and Johnny Knox.

So no overlaps - NONE. Only Thornton does. The NFL has never seen anything like Thornton, in terms of combining his weight and speed 

IMO  T&T based on your list of players has more natural skills than all listed, except Devante Smith.  The major killer is the school. They taught him nothing. Put him with Bama and he comes out playing the same type of game as Smith. Smith knows how to play in the NFL being a smaller player because he was taught technique the would help him at the next level.