Official Yankees Thread

mission27

1 hour ago, pollino14 said:

He barely can go 5. His era is good for the year, but his last what? 4-5 starts have been trash. Idt they’ll do it, but we need more reliability 

Dont disagree.

His pitch count has gotten out of hand in recent starts and we need more reliability across the board from our Starters.

Mentioned it a few posts back that we're on a pace to burn out our BP - and this trend will keep us carrying extra arms for the bullpen - and keeping bats in the minors.

We need a #2 to park behind Sevy - eat up innings - give us wins and push everybody else down a notch.

Edit: Or make that a #3 behind Tanaka.

Edited by Leader

I texted the following to a friend/NYY fan last night when we were down 5-3:

22Ks and 6 errors in 2 games. Not a recipe for beating a team as good as HOU.

Of course - they came back (good) and made a "liar" of me (bad) - but forget the errors - those wont repeat at quite that rate - but the K's are a habit against this team / pitching staff.

We'll need RELIABLE Starters to beat these guys - or somebody's gonna have to design a different way our hitters approach the HOU pitchers cause they strike us out at an alarming rate.

On 5/15/2018 at 9:07 AM, pollino14 said:

Still early, but we’re 5 games ahead in the loss column of Hou. Home field would be huge come playoffs.

Was just looking that far ahead in fact..........

We definitely want to win the division - if not - most certainly the WC race (which I'm presuming would put the WC game in Yankee Stadium).

We end the season with TOR / BOS / BALT / TB / BOS  - all east coast teams.

Right now - SEA & LAA trail us in the WC race. Last thing we want is to have to fly out to either of these locations for a one game WC playoff - then fly back east again.

A long way off still.....but.....

9 hours ago, pollino14 said:

Cannot wait until Stanton gets hot and plays mvp caliber ball

Agree entirely. I'm concerned he doesnt get the Arod label affixed to him and get into the fans permanent dog house.

Question - if you had opportunity for a redo - would you take JD Martinez over Stanton?

Martinez is tearing it up at the moment.

BOS travels to HOU for a four game set.  Scheduled pitchers:

Pomeranz vs McCullers Jr.

Sale vs Cole

Price vs Verlander

Porcello vs Morton

Interestingly HOU hits better on the road than at home:  .235 home // .274 Away (Had to double check that as I thought it odd. Must be a scheduling thing - or else the HOU players just like to get away from their wifes/GFs).

Whereas BOS is tearing it up at home:  .289  //  while not so much on the road: .248 Away

BOS shares the league lead in hitting categories with the NYY - whereas HOU has most of the pitching categories covered.

Be interesting to see how this series plays out.

35 minutes ago, Leader said:

Agree entirely. I'm concerned he doesnt get the Arod label affixed to him and get into the fans permanent dog house.

Question - if you had opportunity for a redo - would you take JD Martinez over Stanton?

Martinez is tearing it up at the moment.

I wouldn’t. Stanton is two years younger and plays the field pretty darn good. 

Betts and Martinez have been scorching hot all year. I can’t see it continuing at this rate.

3 hours ago, pollino14 said:

https://twitter.com/alexrichardsnyy/status/1001986345236074496?s=21

Hamels for a deal centered around Chance Adams... shoulda done it yesterday Cash!

How do you post the tweet outright btw 

Yeah - I'd read an article by Joel Sherman of the NYPost (he's my touchstone on all things NYY. During time when I wasnt keeping close watch, he could/would break down the team with insights on the current roster and minor leagues. In fact I used to send him "Thank-you" emails at the end of each season for his efforts keeping me in the loop.)..

In any case - he'd broken down a potential trade for Hamels - but included in the discussion J.A. Happ - who apparently has very similar numbers. I'll try to locate the article and post if for you.

As for posting a tweet. Its easy....

Open up the single tweet you want to post.

Copy/Paste that URL in the mssg box here - and click on Submit.

Done.

Here's that article: https://nypost.com/2018/05/28/yankees-shouldnt-ignore-blue-jays-under-the-radar-lefty-at-deadline/

Edit: All things considered, it appears Happ is the better pitcher at this time - at least record-wise - it could be the supporting team - and he's a helluva lot cheaper - which fits our goal to stay under that luxury tax.

Edited by Leader

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Yeah - I'd read an article by Joel Sherman of the NYPost (he's my touchstone on all things NYY. During time when I wasnt keeping close watch, he could/would break down the team with insights on the current roster and minor leagues. In fact I used to send him "Thank-you" emails at the end of each season for his efforts keeping me in the loop.)..

In any case - he'd broken down a potential trade for Hamels - but included in the discussion J.A. Happ - who apparently has very similar numbers. I'll try to locate the article and post if for you.

As for posting a tweet. Its easy....

Open up the single tweet you want to post.

Copy/Paste that URL in the mssg box here - and click on Submit.

Done.

Here's that article: https://nypost.com/2018/05/28/yankees-shouldnt-ignore-blue-jays-under-the-radar-lefty-at-deadline/

Edit: All things considered, it appears Happ is the better pitcher at this time - at least record-wise - it could be the supporting team - and he's a helluva lot cheaper - which fits our goal to stay under that luxury tax.

That was easy enough lol.

I don’t mind Happ, Idt Tor would trade him to us.

Ill take the playoff experience of Cole Hamels though. He’s been pitching real good as of late as well.

If we’re only giving up Adams I’m fine, but if we give up Clint and more of our upper tier guys it better be for a younger ace like guy.

The tweet from that guy mentioned mid-level prospects. Guys I'm certain not to know anything about (which makes trading them less painful) - so it would seem to preclude Frazier and the GANG down there. The guy we never mention (or not much at least) is Florial (sp?) - he's supposedly a TOP prospect - and if I'm not mistaken another OF guy.

We'll need to field 4 outfielders!

As for which pitcher to bring on - I'm just taking it all in as I dont watch any of their games to see how they pitch. I just have a general requirement - whoever it turns out to be has got to be able to handle the NY pressure and playing games that COUNT every single time out. Dont want some exceptional talent on a perennial loser (well, maybe if they're exceptional I'd give it a thought......) - but want somebody willing and able to compete at a top level right from the get go (something I'm not sure Mr. Gray is succeeding at.......)

@pollino14  -  " Montgomery, who has not pitched since May 1, was on the disabled list with a flexor strain in his left, throwing elbow. In six starts this season, Montgomery held a 3.62 ERA and a 2-0 record. The 25-year-old’s spot in the rotation has been filled by Domingo German since the injury"

https://nypost.com/2018/06/05/yankees-lose-jordan-montgomery-to-tommy-john-surgery/

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

@pollino14  -  " Montgomery, who has not pitched since May 1, was on the disabled list with a flexor strain in his left, throwing elbow. In six starts this season, Montgomery held a 3.62 ERA and a 2-0 record. The 25-year-old’s spot in the rotation has been filled by Domingo German since the injury"

https://nypost.com/2018/06/05/yankees-lose-jordan-montgomery-to-tommy-john-surgery/

Not ideal for sure. Too bad for the kid. It’s almost a guarantee we trade for a pitcher and it gives German time to develop 

2 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Not ideal for sure. Too bad for the kid. It’s almost a guarantee we trade for a pitcher and it gives German time to develop 

Yup. Puts pressure on German to put it together. I like his stuff - but he's raw at the moment and we could have used Montgomery coming off DL to help us a bit.