Official Yankees Thread

mission27

12 hours ago, Leader said:

That year pre deadline was the only time I wanted one of my teams to lose. Like Cash, I knew the team didn’t have a shot. Had they kept winning they prob would’ve sold off some of their better pieces in order to try to stay in the race 

From the NY Post:

First baseman Greg Bird and outfielder Billy McKinney have been added to the Single-A Tampa roster. Bird is on the DL coming back from ankle surgery and McKinney is on the shelf due to a left (throwing) shoulder sprain. Bird was at first base for five innings and went 0-for3 with an RBI. McKinney played left field for seven innings and went 0-1 with two walks.

Knowing that Torres’ 2017 season ended with Tommy John surgery on his left (non-throwing) shoulder last June, Boone would rather not see his starting second baseman slide headfirst into home plate like he did on Gardner’s triple. “Obviously I have seen that slide a couple of times and saw the slide last year that hurt him,’’ Boone said. “In the end we are playing and you got to play. You have to chalk up last year a little bit [of a fluke]. Things happen when you are in major league sports. In a perfect world I would like to see guys slide a particular way on a particular play.’’ <<I've noted what I think are quite a few weird slides by NYY in recent games. Whats up? Has everybody forgotten how to slide foot first? We're lucky we've not seen our guys get injured on these plays>>

6 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Gleyber has been unbelievable.

He certainly has all the tools. I expect he'll replace Gardner at the top of the order - or certainly move up. He's shown too good a bat to be batting last.

He should give up the head first sliding IMO. He's already lost time to Tommy John surgery as a consequence of his sliding and its fraught with too many varibles to be safe.

Along those lines - somebody needs to talk to the team about its sliding techniques cause in just the last few days they've made some really odd decisions and are lucky to come away w/o injury:

• Stanton's "to slide or not to slide" - try to jump over the catchers tag" - thing - was just downright strange.
  • Torres slide at the plate and came down on his elbow/shoulder hard.
  • Judge made a "slide" into 2nd that was a half-hearted effort and got his legs "tied up" under him.

Somebody's gonna get hurt. What happened to the foot first slide?

Justus Sheffield, one of the organization’s top pitching prospects, was pulled in the fourth inning of his start for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Friday.

According to reports, the left-hander felt stiffness in his shoulder, but isn’t overly concerned and doesn’t expect to undergo any tests.

4 hours ago, pollino14 said:

Clint Frazier with 9 XBH in 12 games, 3 HRs. Hicks and Gardner struggling, wouldn’t shock me if he’s integrated in the main roster soon.

Nice production. Wasnt aware of that - thanks.

I've no problem with Frazier on the roster. Think he''s got skills to develop. Who you think would be sent down as a consequence of bringing him up? One of the back bench bullpen guys?

21 minutes ago, Leader said:

Nice production. Wasnt aware of that - thanks.

I've no problem with Frazier on the roster. Think he''s got skills to develop. Who you think would be sent down as a consequence of bringing him up? One of the back bench bullpen guys?

Torreyes would have to go. Austin too 

Romine, Drury, Walker and Clint

6 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Torreyes would have to go. Austin too 

Romine, Drury, Walker and Clint

While I hear what you're saying - I like what Torreyes brings us: coverage at all the infield positions other than 1st base - and when he was getting steady playing time, he was hitting for a good clip. I'd rather send some low end BP guy.

Infield coverage. Fill in the blanks or correct me where I'm wrong:

Torres - 2nd, 3rd, SS as well?

Walker - 1st base, 2nd, I think 3rd? SS as well?

Drury - 3rd base and 2nd.

Tyler - 1st, 3rd....where else?

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

While I hear what you're saying - I like what Torreyes brings us: coverage at all the infield positions other than 1st base - and when he was getting steady playing time, he was hitting for a good clip. I'd rather send some low end BP guy.

Infield coverage. Fill in the blanks or correct me where I'm wrong:

Torres - 2nd, 3rd, SS as well?

Walker - 1st base, 2nd, I think 3rd? SS as well?

Drury - 3rd base and 2nd.

Tyler - 1st, 3rd....where else?

Drury could play first and corner OF in a pinch. I think Austin is gonna be an odd man out. Just don’t thibk he has it to be an everyday guy, and with Walker/Drury and Bird there’s no ABs for him.

3 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Drury could play first and corner OF in a pinch. I think Austin is gonna be an odd man out. Just don’t thibk he has it to be an everyday guy, and with Walker/Drury and Bird there’s no ABs for him.

Didnt know that about Drury - thanks. He's a good ball player. Hope they figured out his problems up top.

Tell you the truth - I dont trust Bird. Not his talent. I think he'd got an excellent swing - but he's had so much downtime due to foot issues.......cant recall the player's name, but there was a top notch basketball player who's career - while not ended - took a decided turn for the "less than if could have been" because of recurring foot problems. I just hope the NYYs dont give away the farm (or all this interchangeable depth) in some trade - counting on Bird to be a steady player. He's not proven he can do it yet - whereas - we're showing we can win without him. 

I think we'll need a pitcher at some point along the way. If this guy Sheffield can be that guy.....great, we dont have to lose alot of these "variables". The "variable" I'd like to lose - to some team somewhere - is Ellsbury. God - what a lousy trade that was.

Walkers a steady veteran and while I was kind of down on him - I never followed him when a NYM, so no clue as to abilities - it was mentioned he was one of those guys that had no spring training - and he's had some good at bats for us of recent. On such a young team, he's worth keeping around. 

Stanton (IMO) should go to the plate every time just looking to rifle the ball thru the pitcher and right over 2nd base. With that close stance and his "immobile" cut at the ball - go up the middle with it. Park the outside stuff into the right field bullpen - and yank / crank on the slower inside stuff - putting it into the left field stands. He's one strong dude.The ball makes a different sound when he hits it.