IOWA DB Josh Jackson

chargerbuckeye

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, fasteddyWVa said:

Could he be a better free safety than CB

He doesn't need to play FS so he won't. I think he could maybe play FS, but he is so technically good at corner that he won't need to transition to FS. The team that drafts him needs to run a zone system like Carolina did when they had Josh Norman (they still might, idk). He's a physical dude with a great understanding of when to snap on routes vs. continue to maintain cushion. He will tackle. He will make plays on the ball. He's long and athletic enough to challenge a high pointed football.

My only gripe with him is that I don't think he runs well at the combine. Playing him in press man might not go so well for him as I think he needs a little bit of space to read and react, especially against WR's that can fly. I still wouldn't hesitate to take him in the top 15 if I ran a zone scheme or an off man system, but teams that love to play a bunch of cover 0 probably won't have him that high.

I like his skill set as a FS, but I don't believe you should take your best corner (I expect him to probably be his team's top CB) and move him out of that spot. While he will have some speed deficiencies, I don't envision him being a guy that gets torched all that often because it seems like he has enough sense to understand how to play different WR's based on their skill sets...or at least the Iowa coaches played his skill set perfectly.

Perfect NFL comparison IMO is Josh Norman.

3 hours ago, Profound23 said:

If he played for Bama or OSU Jackson would be going in the top 5.  

NFL scouts aren't this dumb. If there's a supremely talented player, teams won't discriminate against the college. Khalil Mack went in the top 5 and he went to school at Buffalo. I don't see any team taking him in the top 5. The reason is not where he went to school, but how I expect him to time. If he runs a 4.3 (he won't), he might go top 5. But considering he's more likely to run a 4.55ish 40 will be the reason the top 5 eludes him.

Also, if he played at Bama or OSU, he would have struggled a lot more because of their press man schemes. He needs to play off coverage primarily. Bama and OSU get in your face and challenge your athletes to beat theirs. Jackson doesn't have the wheels to win footraces by lining up that tightly to speedsters.

4 hours ago, Profound23 said:

If he played for Bama or OSU Jackson would be going in the top 5.  

Since 2013, we've had a number one overall pick who went to central michigan, a #2 overall pick that went to North Dakota St, a #3 overall pick who went to UCF, and  #5 overall picks that went to Buffalo, Western Michigan, BYU....and oh yeah, Iowa, which is where Jackson goes. 

I'm not sure you have a leg to stand on with that comment. 

He's one of my personal favorite prospects this year. I love his length, instincts, and ball skills. If he tests well, he will be a steal in the back end of the first if not 2nd round in my opinion. I can't help but think of the Josh Norman comparisons in terms of the way he plays. JMHO

Archived