2023 Draft Talk

swede700

Did anyone else read about this CB out of Jackson State, coached by one Deion Sanders?  Isaiah Bolden is the kid's name and he measured in at 6' 2" 205 lbs.  Ran a 4.31-sec 40 and had good vert and broad jumps.  Sounds like an interesting cat.  Played slot corner and was a returner with a 36.9 yard per return average in 2021.  Last season, Sanders pulled him from return duties to focus on CB.  

If anything, he sounds like a skinny Cordarrelle Patterson, but a CB.  Jackson State made the move to FBS D-1A last year.  When they were FCS they were competing hard with the NDSUs, SDSUs and other top teams.  Is this guy just being overlooked in the draft process?  

If he's a UDFA, seems like a great target, but given size/speed, how high can a guy like this climb?  He's gotta be considered in the 5th round, right?

17 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Did anyone else read about this CB out of Jackson State, coached by one Deion Sanders?  Isaiah Bolden is the kid's name and he measured in at 6' 2" 205 lbs.  Ran a 4.31-sec 40 and had good vert and broad jumps.  Sounds like an interesting cat.  Played slot corner and was a returner with a 36.9 yard per return average in 2021.  Last season, Sanders pulled him from return duties to focus on CB.  

If anything, he sounds like a skinny Cordarrelle Patterson, but a CB.  Jackson State made the move to FBS D-1A last year.  When they were FCS they were competing hard with the NDSUs, SDSUs and other top teams.  Is this guy just being overlooked in the draft process?  

If he's a UDFA, seems like a great target, but given size/speed, how high can a guy like this climb?  He's gotta be considered in the 5th round, right?

I never noticed the guy watching Jackson State, interesting return potential as a kick return man, Travis Hunter was the talented DB on that Jackson State team last year though.  

Pretty lacking in production for a guy with that speed so kind of makes it seem like it is pretty straight line speed so slot CB might not really be an option at the next level.

Great stats no doubt about it but it was a pro day so potentially inflated time.  James Houston I was far more impressed with last year and he did turn out to be pretty solid in the pros for the Lions.  But Houston was a dominating player on Jackson State and a former Florida Gator, not sure Bolden was all that dominating and he was once a FSU player.

Maybe the kid can play and sure as a UDFA could be a decent target.  

Not sure return men are really an issues for the Vikings though with Nwangwu, Powell and Reagor on the roster already.  So doubling as a return guy and potentially that being his best ability, not sure that is a need currently.  It does suck Jackson State does not play any big schools, they basically stay in the SWAC and only play HBCUs, but I guess so what now they will stink now that Deion is gone and not bringing in top recruits.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I never noticed the guy watching Jackson State, interesting return potential as a kick return man, Travis Hunter was the talented DB on that Jackson State team last year though.  

Pretty lacking in production for a guy with that speed so kind of makes it seem like it is pretty straight line speed so slot CB might not really be an option at the next level.

Great stats no doubt about it but it was a pro day so potentially inflated time.  James Houston I was far more impressed with last year and he did turn out to be pretty solid in the pros for the Lions.  But Houston was a dominating player on Jackson State and a former Florida Gator, not sure Bolden was all that dominating and he was once a FSU player.

Maybe the kid can play and sure as a UDFA could be a decent target.  

Not sure return men are really an issues for the Vikings though with Nwangwu, Powell and Reagor on the roster already.  So doubling as a return guy and potentially that being his best ability, not sure that is a need currently.  It does suck Jackson State does not play any big schools, they basically stay in the SWAC and only play HBCUs, but I guess so what now they will stink now that Deion is gone and not bringing in top recruits.  

I did notice the stats didn't include the 3-cone and short shuttle results.   So, maybe that's it?  If he showed fluid hips I suspect I would've read about it, but gotta give the kid props on speed.  Compared to other 6' 2" 200 lb guys, he's a little short in the reach department with a 76" wingspan (likely "normal").  I believe a few others like Joey Porter and Julian Brent's are over 80".   That couple inches makes a huge difference . . . Especially if pass recognition timing is solid for a CB. 

On 4/1/2023 at 6:16 PM, Boda said:

Maybe draft wise but McCombs failed to put the necessary resources into the team, hell the team had the fewest coordinators of all time I believe & if memory serves me correctly they cut positions and some had to pull double duty.  McCombs failed to spend money in FA I remember that being a big talking point way back in the day

McCombs neglecting the resources into the team came after the Denny era when he couldn't get the new stadium.  And Denny was the Vikings' head coach and defacto GM for 6 years before Red even bought the team.  The failures on defense were all Denny's inability to identify defensive talent in the draft and free agency.  The only defensive players he had of any substance were either acquired before he got there (Randle, Henry Thomas) or lucked into them via UDFA or late round (Ed McDaniel and Robert Griffith). 

Green was a brilliant offensive mind, but couldn't identify defensive talent (Warren Sapp) when it was staring him in the face.  Not only did he screw up that pick, in 1996 he took Duane Clemons with Ray Lewis sitting on the board, James Manley with Lance Johnstone on the board, and Sean Boyd with Zach Thomas and LaRoi Glover on the board.  I could let it go if he had come up with a single defensive player of any substance in the first 2 rounds of any draft he had, but he didn't.  You can talk about the absurdity of the Underwood pick, but that was just one in a pattern of his inability to draft any defensive player whatsoever his entire tenure.  When the best defensive picks in the first 2 rounds he had are probably Orlando Thomas and Corey Fuller, that says a lot. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

would either of those teams be trading to #3 to take anyone other than a QB?

No, I can't imagine that.  As it would all be in an effort to get ahead of the Colts.  The Titans would clearly have the advantage since the Cardinals' GM worked for them for years. 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2023 at 12:06 PM, ArcticNorseman said:

It would be great to have Bolden play for the Vikings, as my last name is Boldin!!

• Like 1