2023 Draft Talk

swede700

27 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Levis or Richardson. If I’m taking the gamble and trading up, I’m going to draft one of the QBs with elite traits. Especially with a situation like the Vikings are in, where I can let the rookie QB sit and learn behind Cousins and Mullens. 

I wouldn’t hate it if they drafted Stroud, he’s not a bad prospect by any means, but there’s just not anything special about him. If I’m being honest, when I watch and read about Stroud, he’s Cousins. A QB who’s got good enough arm strength that you don’t have to worry about him not being able to make any throw, he’s accurate at all levels of the field, and he’s very good at throwing with timing and rhythm. But, he’s also a QB who doesn’t have great pocket presence, he’s more athletic than he gets credit for but he doesn’t instinctively use that athleticism, he struggles under pressure, and he’s not a natural creator when things break down. So, while I don’t think getting a 22-23 yo QB that plays like Cousins is a bad thing, it’s not what I’d trade 3 first round draft picks for. 

All one has to do is watch Stroud vs Georgia.  He used his tools to darn-near win that game, and the one that got injured hurt their chances.  Stroud showed he's more than capable -- and ready-- to be a starting NFL QB soon.

I'm not in favor if trading up at all this draft.

The Vikes need good young players to plug-n-play.  So, for me, none of the consensus top-4 are in play, especially if one (Levis) slides to 23.  

Use a 3rd on Hooker if ya must . . . Or a 5th on Bennet or ??.  In the end, buyer beware the hype of prospects this time of year. 

I’d rather they build the team up as best they can this year, extend Kirk a year or 2 then go get the QBotF in the 2024 draft. 

But in that hypothetical trade up to number 3 I’d take Richardson or Stroud. 

Edited by Sad People
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, Sad People said:

I’d rather they build the team up as best they can this year, extend Kirk a year or 2 then go get the QBotF in the 2024 draft. 

But in that hypothetical trade up to number 3 I’d take Richardson or Stroud. 

This.  Just because we didn't extend KC doesn't mean they still can't re-sign him in the offseason if they don't get their guy this year.  It allows them to go all in next year where they'll have all their draft capital(Im pretty sure atleast) & said rookie can still sit for a year or two behind KC

• Like 2

Peter King: T-minus 10 days to round one of the draft, and the NFL world is hopping. Four big names in the first round I heard a lot about in recent days. I cast a wide net. I listen. I pry with people I’ve known for a while.

Bryce Young is (no pun intended) head-and-shoulders in the lead to be the first pick in the draft.

Tyree Wilson, the Texas Tech pass-rusher, might be in competition with Alabama’s Will Anderson for the top defensive prospect on Houston’s draft board, and that could mean something if the Texans aren’t quite as smitten with C.J. Stroud as Mock Draft World thinks.

Jalen Carter has two visits to top-10 teams left before Wednesday’s deadline for players to make pre-draft visits to teams. That’s what agent Drew Rosenhaus told me Saturday. I’ll tell you the team that is the most perfect fit for Carter in the NFL: the Pittsburgh Steelers, who’d have to trade up from 17 to get him.

Jaxon Smith-Njigba had a left hamstring injury last year. He had a gigantic 2021 season at Ohio State, then played only 60 snaps in 2022, and I’m hearing some reticence about taking a guy 12th or 18th in the first round when, in a 4.5-month season, he managed to play the equivalent of one football game with a hamstring injury.

This might sound crazy, but I’m not sure how many teams will be aggressive in trying to move up for C.J. Stroud if Bryce Young goes first to Carolina.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/17/commanders-snyder-nfl-draft-rumors-peter-king-fmia/

Chris Simms, on Dorian Thompson-Robinson, UCLA versus Will Levis, Kentucky:

Dorian Thompson-Robinson might be the most underrated prospect in the entire draft. Bigger than Bryce Young (Thompson-Robinson is 6-1 ½), better arm than Bryce Young. A little frail, but I think he’s ready to play right now. With Levis, the word for me is inconsistency—in everything. Decision-making, mechanics, quality of throw. I don’t see a guy with a natural feel for the position.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/17/commanders-snyder-nfl-draft-rumors-peter-king-fmia/

Archie Manning, on Bryce Young: 

“A lot of these kids don’t remember Fran Tarkenton, but really, he was a lot like Bryce is now. Small, wasn’t fast, could make every throw. Bryce is just like that—he’s just a ballplayer. Nice kid, polite, cool customer. He’s just great around people, and that’ll serve him well in the NFL.”

Edited by vike daddy

If Bryce Young was 6’2” 215, the average size for an NFL QB, he’d not only be a lock to go first overall, but he’d be talked about the same way Andrew Luck and Trevor Lawrence were talked about. 

I’ll still be a bit surprised if Carolina takes him with the first pick, simply because Frank Reich certainly has a type of QB that he’s worked with. But at the same, Carolina would be absolutely foolish to pass on Bryce Young. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

ESPN’s Adam Schefter: "I don’t think it’s a lock that Houston is going quarterback at number two. Bryce Young is going to visit the Houston Texans. I think it’s a waste of time."

If Young is drafted by Carolina, Houston absolutely should draft Tim Anderson Jr at #2, and then try and trade up with Arizona at 3 or Seattle at 5 to go get their QB. 

i don't think the analytically minded Kwesi will trade up, it takes too much capital to do so and he'd be doing the opposite of diversifying his chances of success: all the eggs in one basket, so to speak.

what about...

trading down from 23 (and picking up a late 2nd rounder) but staying in the first round... picking the top CB at that level... trading down again in the second round to get another 3rd... picking Dorian Thompson-Robinson as the QB choice this year in the early 3rd... and possibly still going for a QB in 2024....

If they are intent on finding the long-term answer, they should draft a QB every year until they find the one.  I imagine this year, yes, it'll likely be a mid-round one, because trading up really isn't a good option.  If they think about trading up, it should be next year when they again won't have very many picks, but will have the necessary ammunition with a full complement of 2025 and 2026 picks.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

I don't think the analytically minded Kwesi will trade up, it takes too much capital to do so and he'd be doing the opposite of diversifying his chances of success: all the eggs in one basket, so to speak.

Analytically speaking, the odds of finding a franchise QB are significantly higher when drafting a prospect in the top half of the 1st round than they are with the rest of the draft combined. Odds are that drafting a mid round QB is just throwing away a draft pick. 

The Vikings have taken the “wait and see” approach to finding a QB for the entire history  of the franchise, and it shows. If they want to find that long term, franchise QB, they are going to need to get aggressive and go get that QB. Or suck so bad that they are in a position to draft one. 

32 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i don't think the analytically minded Kwesi will trade up, it takes too much capital to do so and he'd be doing the opposite of diversifying his chances of success: all the eggs in one basket, so to speak.

what about...

trading down from 23 (and picking up a late 2nd rounder) but staying in the first round... picking the top CB at that level... trading down again in the second round to get another 3rd... picking Dorian Thompson-Robinson as the QB choice this year in the early 3rd... and possibly still going for a QB in 2024....

Wouldn't it be safer to trade the 1st round pick for an early 2nd this year and a 1st next year?  We could likely get about the same talent level a player early in the 2nd round in this years draft.  Teams overestimate how good they are going to be in the future (see the Saints last year; their 1st round pick this year, which they traded away, is 10th overall in this years draft).  Then, we would have two 1st round picks next year, which is a decent amount of ammo to trade up with for a QB.