Who Would You Pick?

Daniel

With mixed results on who the Titans picked, what would you have done in their place?

Whether that's who you would have taken in real time during the draft, or who you would take now, kind of knowing how the board fell.  Make your picks how you would have done.  Maybe we'll see in a few years if anyone outperforms JRob.

For me (in the moment) it would have been 18: Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas, 35: Malik Willis, QB, Liberty, 69: Abraham Lucas, OT, Wash St, 86: Calvin Austin III, WR, Memphis, 131: Isaiah Likely, TE, Coastal Carolina, 143: Dominique Robinson, Edge, Miami OH, 163: Jamaree Sayler, OG, Georgia, 204: Kalon Barnes, CB, Baylor, 219: Reed Blankenship, S, MTSU

Who would you have picked?

I’ll be honest, and this is coming from someone who doesn’t follow CFB closely

im good with our draft on paper 

but from a long term perspective, I don’t think it’s unfair to say it all kinda hinges on if Malik pans out or not 

him not becoming a starter doesn’t really set us back 5 years cuz it was only a third round pick…but man we need a QB

40 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I’ll be honest, and this is coming from someone who doesn’t follow CFB closely

im good with our draft on paper 

but from a long term perspective, I don’t think it’s unfair to say it all kinda hinges on if Malik pans out or not 

him not becoming a starter doesn’t really set us back 5 years cuz it was only a third round pick…but man we need a QB

Yea I like our draft. I really think we operate by for the most part taking the best player they think is available, and I like that mentality. I would have loved to see us take a guard, but maybe they have a plan for filling that guard spot that makes sense, I am ok with waiting to what that plan is. 

Getting Malik in the third gives us a lot of flexibility. We can take our time to evaluate to see if he really has any potential. We really now have options when it comes to evaluating and future possibilities depending on how this year pans out. It’s a strong asset we hold as long as he shows promise.

But yea, this franchise needs that quarterback that we can solidly build around the next 10-15 years. We just have never really really had that guy. And I want it.

The draft is the draft and we have seen guys like Edelman come out of the 7th. I really liked what we did in getting Burks and Philips. Watching Philips tape I really think he can be an early contributor.

I am by no means a cfb guy, but when I turn on the tape, I love what I see from our rooks.

Honestly when it comes to the draft I stop caring after the 3rd round reason being, I feel that 4th-7th are mostly guys you swinging at hoping to develop. Usually 1st-3rd are guys you hoping to come in & start or plug in & play. That said, I love our picks 1-3 rounds. Favorite player taken as of today Roger McCreary 2 yrs from now I’m hoping it’s Willis. McCreary was a bit of a reach but I love his film. Patient at the LOS, nice feet fluid hips understands route concepts therefore he can play off. Doesn’t have elite speed or recovery speed but you can scheme around it whenever he’s lined up vs a guy who’s 4.3 or a burner if you feel he can’t hold his own on a island. Burks is my least favorite pick, simply because I love WR’s that excel at running routes. Though I think worse case scenario he’s a big slot like Jarvis Landry. Best case Debo prayers by a miracle he’s AJ. 

Edited by TitanRedd

I’m completely fine with our draft. Burks was a favorite of mine before the draft, I just didn’t think he’d make it to 26 and he most likely wouldn’t of. I still hate the trade of AJ to get the picks but it’s clear he didn’t want to be here. He’d rather try to catch passes from a bottom of league type QB so it’s whatever. Some can say the McCreary pick wasn’t a need that high but I disagree. You have Farley who is a walking injury. Fulton has yet to play a full season. CB depth isn’t something you should be light on. McCreary is a nice talent and it damn sure wasn’t a reach at all. He’s played against some big time receivers and has played very well against them.  Kid was a borderline 1st rounder and we got him in the 2nd, so I wouldn’t call that a reach. Can play inside and outside unlike Molden so it gives us some flexibility. One of my favorite picks of the draft. The NPF and Haskins are iffy to me but they were needs. NPF is just raw and has some horrible film against elite players at LT. Luckily, he had some very good film at RT. I think he’s a year away from starting so hopefully Radunz is ready. Ideally, I think they want NPF as the swing guy this year, Radunz at RT and Brewer, Jones, or FA at LG. For 2023, they release Lewan, move Radunz to LT and NPF to RT. Haskins looks to be a solid pro but he’s pretty slow so I wouldn’t expect any long runs. If he can be a decent compliment to Henry to pick up the tough yardage like Foreman did, that’s completely fine. They have a COP guy in Hilliard who had some big plays last year. Chig, Phillips, and Campbell are all good value/need picks. Chig is raw and will compete for the 2nd TE spot. Phillips competes for the starting slot job and PR. Campbell competes for LB4/SPT. That leaves the Willis pick. Probably the best pick of the draft. Potential is through the roof but likely shouldn’t be starting for at least a season if not more. Hopefully Kelly and O’Hara can be huge for him. Keep Downing as far away as possible. The only thing about the draft I’d change is probably taking a TE sooner or maybe even a WR but I like Chig as a potential guy. Breaks tackles and has good speed. Also isn’t just one of those flex TE guys they use a lot in college who has no value in the blocking game. I still think we need to add a WR and a OG(hopefully Flowers).

• Like 1

I probably would have gone with Kyler Gordon at that spot over McCreary, but after seeing McCreary's numbers against SEC competition, I really can't argue with it. Good with the draft -- my favourite pick is actually Kyle Phillips. I think with the type of player he is, he makes up for the fact that we didn't draft Amon-Ra St. Brown last year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

I probably would have gone with Kyler Gordon at that spot over McCreary, but after seeing McCreary's numbers against SEC competition, I really can't argue with it. Good with the draft -- my favourite pick is actually Kyle Phillips. I think with the type of player he is, he makes up for the fact that we didn't draft Amon-Ra St. Brown last year. 

My hype is real for Philips. I feel like he could be a guy.

I loved the value we had with each pick and maybe the only thing I would have done differently is taken Raimman over Petit-Frere.  Maybe even considered Faleele or Max Mitchell.  The Petit-Frere pick is the only one I have some doubts about.  I like Burks as well as any WR in this draft.  I also think McCreary is a top CB.  Obviously the Willis pick was great.  I've seen people hate on the Haskins pick but from what I've seen of him he looks darn good for a late 4th round pick.  The TE at #38 in the 4th was darn good as well.  Philips in the 5th even better.  

I really have no issue with the positions picked. It was all positions I thought we'd address.

I would have picked OL in the 2nd but looking at who was there and where others were picked, it looked like the league didn't have any guys rated worth a 2nd round pick.
I would have picked up David Bell somewhere in there to be my slot, but Kyle Phillips looks to be a great choice.
I would have maybe picked Brian Robinson Jr or Ty Chandler at RB, but Hassan Haskins is good.
I would have maybe picked a different corner later, but Roger was someone I thought about in the 1st. 
Treylon was the ONE guy I wanted in this draft no matter what. So glad he is a Titan. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2022 at 10:55 AM, Daniel said:

With mixed results on who the Titans picked, what would you have done in their place?

Whether that's who you would have taken in real time during the draft, or who you would take now, kind of knowing how the board fell.  Make your picks how you would have done.  Maybe we'll see in a few years if anyone outperforms JRob.

For me (in the moment) it would have been 18: Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas, 35: Malik Willis, QB, Liberty, 69: Abraham Lucas, OT, Wash St, 86: Calvin Austin III, WR, Memphis, 131: Isaiah Likely, TE, Coastal Carolina, 143: Dominique Robinson, Edge, Miami OH, 163: Jamaree Sayler, OG, Georgia, 204: Kalon Barnes, CB, Baylor, 219: Reed Blankenship, S, MTSU

So in hindsight that is what you came up with?  First of all guess who the Titans take at QB if Ridder is on the board.  Ridder and not Willis.  My guess is they were hoping for Ridder all along but after he got nabbed they figured they better move up and get Willis or they might miss him as well.  The only pick I'm unsure of is the OT.  Physically he might fit as good as anyone but he was made to look pretty bad by Hutchinson.  Of course the Jags not taking Hutchinson is about as darn idiotic as it comes.  Eithe4r way I'm very happy with who we ended up with and the value at each spot.  Outside of Frere with Lucas and Raimann available each pick is spot on.  Frere might be the best of those three down the road.  I thought Raimann maybe fit the future LT best but we shall see.   

4 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

So in hindsight that is what you came up with? 

On 5/5/2022 at 9:55 AM, Daniel said:

• 2 months later...

Jrob had a master class so not sure I'd change much if anything.  He doesn't just draft BPA but targets guys where he thinks he can get them.   In all honesty Ridder or Willis could have been pretty well out of the picture for us assuming we expected them to go much earlier.  Willis was too good to pass up.  If the Titans were really desperately wanting a QB they would have drafted one of them a round or more earlier.  

Guys like Chig, Haskins and Phillips might have been guys Jrob hoped to get all along.  All real good fits and they seem mature and high value where we got them.  I'd assume JRob feels the same way about PFN as he saw traits that would translate athletically.  Some of these guys take a few years.

As for another possibility maybe take Penning instead of Burks (taken right after our pick at 18) and then look for a WR like Watson.  Metchie might have been a decent guy in the 2nd if we trade down.  Also, we could use the 5th pick in the 3rd to take Ridder if we really wanted him since he got picked 10th.  Again, if JRob was chomping at the bit to find Tannehill's replacement all he had to do was pull the trigger with that 2nd 1st round pick assuring he got the QB he wanted that was left.  Keep in mind they took a WR (to replace Brown), a CB and an OT before they even picked Willis.  IMO Willis was sitting there and simply too hard to pass on.  A gift.