RIP ChicagoAl

CBears019

I know I'm really late to say something here but I would be remiss if I didn't. Al and I used to argue all the time. Constantly...24/7 about draft prospects. Between Aaron Donald and Tavon Austin I will have those two engrained in my head for the rest of my life. It was always enjoyable because he would respond almost immediately and always with some life advice or something to that affect. It was like arguing with my grandfather which even though it may have sounded like I hated it I actually loved. I've been on here since I was 15 years old and I'm turning 31 last this year. Al was a big part of my stay on here. RIP Al. 

5 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Mostly constant trolling and continuing to break the rules even after several warnings within a short period. These were typically users from the old Espn forums when it existed and that place use to let users run rampant with no sort of restrictions whatsoever and those same people thought it was the same on this forum. I can't count how many new users used to get banned because their first 3 posts were severe cussing, disrespecting members, and/or breaking other rules. You can tell which accounts weren't going to last long.

What's really funny to me is that for years people used to complain the mods were too strict and now some fruitcakes think they're too lenient 🤷‍♂️ . There's just no winning with some people.

I bristle at moderated forums often because I am a big free speech guy, which used to be a base norm in our society.  Ironically a lot of same people that used to champion free speech when they were not in power, now want it done away with for their opponents.

At same time I get a specific forum that wants to stay on topic.  It is something people want to make money on and nothing divides like politics.  

I also don’t object to bans on swearing and personal attacks as it adds nothing to an argument.  

I think controversial points that may naturally offend can be made without being rude or uncouth and should be tolerated, but unfortunately people take something they disagree with as offensive no matter how it is presented and they want it silenced.  Now people not only want it silenced they want speaker punished.   A lot of people are very casual about someone losing their job which can be a devastating thing that can lead to depression and worse. 

This societal attitude is not going well generally.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I bristle at moderated forums often because I am a big free speech guy, which used to be a base norm in our society.  Ironically a lot of same people that used to champion free speech when they were not in power, now want it done away with for their opponents.

At same time I get a specific forum that wants to stay on topic.  It is something people want to make money on and nothing divides like politics.  

I also don’t object to bans on swearing and personal attacks as it adds nothing to an argument.  

I think controversial points that may naturally offend can be made without being rude or uncouth and should be tolerated, but unfortunately people take something they disagree with as offensive no matter how it is presented and they want it silenced.  Now people not only want it silenced they want speaker punished.   A lot of people are very casual about someone losing their job which can be a devastating thing that can lead to depression and worse. 

This societal attitude is not going well generally.  

Yeah, I think it's necessary for forums like these. To be honest I wouldn't be here if political talk was allowed of any kind. I come to talk sports and sports only. We hear enough about politics.

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Yeah, I think it's necessary for forums like these. To be honest I wouldn't be here if political talk was allowed of any kind. I come to talk sports and sports only. We hear enough about politics.

Politics and NFL intersect all the time via official NFL policy and stances so sometimes it is difficult to avoid.  Or even individual player stances on something NFL related.  You simply cannot discuss some NFL issues without discussing politics they are one and the same and cannot be divided.  

Much of player/employee/front office discipline and hiring policy is politically driven.   Covid same.  

Even CBAs are political in nature.  

I get it though, for a lot of hot topics there is just no way for most to calmly discuss it.  And many don't want to. 

What I am saying is it does feel weird sometimes to just ignore it when something new comes down from NFL or NFL related and it is elephant in the room. 

A lot of times a thread will start on it and be locked.   I don't even comment in them now because I know it is coming.