Can Shanny/Lynch survive in San fran Trey Lance if he busts?

Kiwibrown

On 5/9/2022 at 7:04 AM, ronjon1990 said:

I think their overall level of success buys them some time. 

They've won a good bit with arguably sub par QB play. 

If Lance outright busts, it'll sting, but I have a difficult time seeing SF totally flopping. 

If Lance busts and the team suffers, maybe it's a different story. But I just don't feel like Shanny/Lynch are as intertwined with Lance as HC/GM usually is with their QB. 

I think it'll be tough for him to just be an outright bust because they have so much talent around him and it's not like they're going to just throw him to the wolves. They'll do their best to protect him, especially early on, he clearly has the physical talent. Even if he doesn't work out as hoped, with the way that QB's are passed around in the modern NFL and how good the 49ers currently are, I'm sure they could replace him fairly easily and remain in contention. 

On 5/9/2022 at 6:38 PM, Forge said:

Investment comes in different shapes. The niners invested 3 firsts and a third. Id say the second greatest draft pick investment in a prospect behind rg3.  They have a lot invested in seeing him succeed and it's just as important as the finances. The raiders didn't have to play him just because they were paying him

jake locker sat a year, still got 23 starts and he was awful. Darnold got 38 with the jets and he was terrible and then got more with the Panthers. Trubs got 3 years. Daniel Jones will get 4. High picks like that teams are especially reticent to move on from too quickly. And some of those guys didn't require an investment beyond the pick. Top 3, top 5, top 8... People with egos have a lot riding on them. 

THere are certainly outliers. Rosen comes to mind. Does he get moved if they don't have access to Kyler? I dunno. But for one Rosen, there's a gabbert and ponder. 

As you move down the first round teams more willing to just move on for sure. Ej Manuel, Lynch, Haskins... But those early picks? You don't see that happening too often

JaMarcus Russell had to play because he was the #1 pick and had that huge contract. But I'd agree that the draft capital the 49ers invested and their current situation makes his success more important for the 49ers than Russell's was for the Raiders. When the Raiders took Russell they were an absolute bottom feeder, the 49ers are on the cusp of a Super Bowl and went all in with premium draft capital to get Lance because they believe he's the guy that can get them over the top. 

Josh Allen wasn't very good early in his career and they were patient with him, primarily because of his physical tools and the picks they invested into him. 

The only scenario that I could see the 49ers moving on from Lance anytime soon would be if they kept Jimmy on the roster this season and Trey either gets hurt or is so bad that they have to bench him and then Jimmy lights it up and leads the team to the Super Bowl.

38 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Did Jimmy G really bust though? In the two seasons he has been healthy they went 22-9, nearly won a super bowl, and nearly made it to another one last season, lol.

People have this mindset you're either an elite future Hall of Famer or you're complete and utter trash, as if there's no middle tier.

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Did Jimmy G really bust though? In the two seasons he has been healthy they went 22-9, nearly won a super bowl, and nearly made it to another one last season, lol.

Thats my point

Lance can bust and the 49ers could still make it to the superbowl

• Like 1

Just now, Malfatron said:

Thats my point

I'm sure no one will complain if they make it to the Super Bowl, with Lance's play style though I doubt they make it if he's a bust.

21 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

Thats my point

So long as they keep Jimmy around, yes.

I assumed the question involves Lance being the guy, offloading Jimmy, and then Lance busting.

34 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think it'll be tough for him to just be an outright bust because they have so much talent around him and it's not like they're going to just throw him to the wolves. They'll do their best to protect him, especially early on, he clearly has the physical talent. Even if he doesn't work out as hoped, with the way that QB's are passed around in the modern NFL and how good the 49ers currently are, I'm sure they could replace him fairly easily and remain in contention. 

This. 

The ownership and fans know they have a good team. Lance busting would be a black eye at best. It would sting, but it's not costing anyone their job. 

Like I said, if the entire team came out flat and sucked, there's a problem, but that problem would go well beyond the QB position. 

The 49ers have put Lance in one of the best situations to succeed I've ever seen. If he flops, that's ultimately gonna be on him and the coaching staff will just be forced to look elsewhere. 

Lance would need to be Ryan Lindley bad to be the sole reason anyone loses their job. Otherwise, the team around him would have to be pathetically bad for the guillotine to get close to Lynch or Shanahan. 

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

This. 

The ownership and fans know they have a good team. Lance busting would be a black eye at best. It would sting, but it's not costing anyone their job. 

Like I said, if the entire team came out flat and sucked, there's a problem, but that problem would go well beyond the QB position. 

The 49ers have put Lance in one of the best situations to succeed I've ever seen. If he flops, that's ultimately gonna be on him and the coaching staff will just be forced to look elsewhere. 

Lance would need to be Ryan Lindley bad to be the sole reason anyone loses their job. Otherwise, the team around him would have to be pathetically bad for the guillotine to get close to Lynch or Shanahan. 

He looked progressively better in his couple of appearances last season, although they were pretty limited. I'd guess that the offense looks very different next season with Lance at QB then it has over the last couple of years with Jimmy starting. And one of the biggest things working in Trey's favor is his mobility, because even if he's not a great passer they can still make it work and the threat of him running will open things up by default like we've seen with guys like Josh Allen (early on), Cam, Lamar, Hurts, etc. 

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He looked progressively better in his couple of appearances last season, although they were pretty limited. I'd guess that the offense looks very different next season with Lance at QB then it has over the last couple of years with Jimmy starting. And one of the biggest things working in Trey's favor is his mobility, because even if he's not a great passer they can still make it work and the threat of him running will open things up by default like we've seen with guys like Josh Allen (early on), Cam, Lamar, Hurts, etc. 

I'd be a bit shocked if they weren't one of the most run heavy offenses in the league. Shanny can make stars out of RBs and masking any passing deficiencies should be a cakewalk for him. 

Lance would have to be a fumble machine and absolutely sick beyond belief throwing the ball for things to get really really ugly.