Ravens sign veteran RB Mike Davis

sp6488

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33891514/baltimore-ravens-rb-mike-davis-reach-agreement-source-confirms

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- The Baltimore Ravens reached an agreement with running back Mike Davis on Tuesday, a source confirmed.

Davis, 29, adds experienced depth to a Ravens backfield that was devastated by injuries last season. Baltimore's top two running backs -- J.K. Dobbins and Gus Edwards -- tore ACLs before the start of last season and aren't expected to return to the field until training camp.

Last season, Davis was a part-time starter in his only season with the Atlanta Falcons, gaining 503 yards rushing and three touchdowns on 138 carries. The Falcons cut Davis on May 2 to free up $2.5 million in salary cap space.

Not thrilled with this move, but also not upset. Fairly neutral. Assuming it's for close to the vet minimum.

May help take bulk carries early in the season while Gus and Dobbins come back from injury.

2 hours ago, drd23 said:

Its just insurance in the extremely unlikely case of what happened last year happening again

Yeah probably here just to let him learn the playbook some, use him as a camp body, and if injuries happen then we got someone who knows the scope of the offense vs trying to make adjustments on the fly to accommodate guys who are unfamiliar with the scheme.

You guys already nailed my thoughts on this. Gives us depth verse scrambling come week 1. He learns the playbook and is familiar with our offense if he indeed makes the roster. 

This move caused us to remove our tender offer on Ty’son. Doesn’t surprise me, but would have rather saw him kept over Justice Hill

4 hours ago, ravens5520 said:

You guys already nailed my thoughts on this. Gives us depth verse scrambling come week 1. He learns the playbook and is familiar with our offense if he indeed makes the roster. 

This move caused us to remove our tender offer on Ty’son. Doesn’t surprise me, but would have rather saw him kept over Justice Hill

Justice is a key ST's contributor, can pass block and has a lot of upside in space as a pass-catching back.

Ty'Son does none of those things.

7 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Justice is a key ST's contributor, can pass block and has a lot of upside in space as a pass-catching back.

Guess I just never see that about Hill. We certainly prioritize our special teams contributors. 

9 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

In addition to the fact that when all three of our RBs went down Tyson found his way in the dog house more than he found his way onto the field.

Now maybe it’s just our coaches hated his productivity (which he was very productive), maybe they hated his work ethic/class room attentiveness,  maybe they didn’t feel they could trust his ability to carry without fumbling, or maybe he fell victim to FA politic dynamics… either way, the opportunity was there for him and the coaches didn’t have him as the guy to seize it. What’s the use of keeping him around if we don’t like the idea of using/relying on him?

At least with Hill there’s the potential that with his speed and explosiveness, he increases his field impact too.

• Like 1

What's the odds of JK and Gus starting the year on the pup? Between signing Davis and drafting Badie, that's a lot of running backs on the roster. I'm sure McCrary will stay as a PS Squad member, but yeah...

• Dobbins
  • Edwards
  • Hill
  • Davis
  • Badie
  • McCrary