Texans off-season thread

ET80

1 minute ago, navysaintsfan said:

I know I am. Dude seemed to be an incredible locker room guy. Not to mention he could play any position on the OLine well. I have seen him take snaps at every position and you never heard me saying, "Man he is not opening any running lanes" or "Guys are getting right past him" or "Snap timing is off". Dude is just consistent. He won't really wow you anywhere. But he will bring consistency to whatever position he is playing. Sorry to see him leave, but you guys are getting a great guy.

Do you think he can play LT full time?

2 minutes ago, navysaintsfan said:

I know I am. Dude seemed to be an incredible locker room guy. Not to mention he could play any position on the OLine well. I have seen him take snaps at every position and you never heard me saying, "Man he is not opening any running lanes" or "Guys are getting right past him" or "Snap timing is off". Dude is just consistent. He won't really wow you anywhere. But he will bring consistency to whatever position he is playing. Sorry to see him leave, but you guys are getting a great guy.

so do you think he will be a starter with us then?

1 minute ago, Pastor Dillon said:

so do you think he will be a starter with us then?

I think he can easily start at left or right G. I think asking him to start at T could be asking a lot, but he has done it before. I think he is capable, but not a future Pro Bowler if you know what I mean. I could be wrong though.

We just signed Fulton to start at one of the guard positions. If this guy can start at the other, then we will have our interior line figured out. We will just need to get a couple tackles. Maybe sign Justin Pugh to start at RT, and resign Chris Clark to play LT, or maybe we like what we have seen out of Davenport. I dont see henderson starting, but who knows. Either way, we have upgraded the offensive line significantly already this off season. Filo literally cost us at least 2 of the first 7 games. 

15 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

I’m almost positive he’s played center as well. He’s a fantastic backup. if he’s your starter you probably won’t notice him but that’s not always bad

edit: he did play center in TC and preseason. He’s also only missed one game in 3 seasons and played in all 16 last year

good signing by you guys 

26 minutes ago, navysaintsfan said:

Appreciate the feedback, and I think you guys already covered whether or not he could play LT. I like to believe the plan is to play him at G, alongside Martin and Fulton, with Henderson competing with Newton at RT and Davenport/Allen competing at LT (save for the disasterous 4th down v Tennessee, Allen looked somewhat competent at LT).

Overall, you've revamped the line with two new starters on the interior and another guy out right, all for about $20mm less than what the Giants paid for Nate Solder. 

Granted, these guys could be big disappointments and it could still be money wasted, but we won't know that for a while.

11 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

Fido retired (redid his deal)

JJo - 2 year deal

I'm interested in the money, but I have no qualms with Joseph back in the fold. Hope we still find one more CB/DB - Tyrann Mathieu would make this a very good FA period.

So our offensive line currently consists of 

T - Davenport, Henderson, Newton, Lamm, 

G - Fulton, Allen, Kelemete, slade, Quessenberry, 

C - Martin, Mancz, Fuller

we really need another tackle, at the very least bring back clark and draft a guy in the 3rd round. I am not sure we currently have a starting level tackle. Maybe Allen will swing out there. 

currently our best starting 5 would be Allen/Fulton/Martin/Mancz/Kelemete ......move Kelemete to guard and start Henderson at RT, and we might be the same. 

ideally we find a LT and move Allen to RG and Kelemete to RT. 

either way, the line is better than it was last season. 

6 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Great.  Another 2 years of seeing Joseph get burned.

He was our best CB last season, resigning him was always going to be a good idea, the problem is that he cant cover the other teams best WR anymore, so we need to add someone who can . 

17 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Fido retiring saves us how much money?

by my calculation, we still have a ton of money we can spend

Roughly about $51mm left to spend. Fido reduced his cap hit down to $790,000 (think he was due roughly $5.1mm) and received a $229,000 advance.

$4.3mm saved. Not bad.

6 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

He was our best CB last season, resigning him was always going to be a good idea, the problem is that he cant cover the other teams best WR anymore, so we need to add someone who can . 

Saying he was our best CB last year is like saying Sam Dekker is the best out of Bobby Brown, Markel Brown, and RJ Hunter.  We need to sign EJ Gaines.

Archived