Texans off-season thread

ET80

I would take Watson over any QB drafted in the last 15 years......

espn's bold move for us is to sign Eric Reid and then draft 4 offensive linemen from Iowa....which seems crazy.

I think we really only need 2 starting linemen. Davenport will be given a chance at RT. Martin will return assuming healthy to start at C. I suspect we keep Allen, simply because we cant replace 3 starters. I also like Mancz a lot, but i think he needs to serve as our back up G/C giving us depth. We will need a LT and LG for sure. I think we can draft a guard or find one fairly cheap in free agency. LT is where we need to spend some money to get a guy. 

I think our D can be back to being top 5 if we were to sign Reid and Butler both. Bring back Joseph and give Jackson the option to take a pay cut or be cut. I am not as down on Hal as a lot of guys are and I think he can be a fine starter if we get 2 more guys back there. Kevin Johnson gets one more season. We use Jackson if he takes a pay cut as a 4th CB/3rd safety, basically giving us Butler/Joseph/ Johnson/ Reid/ Hal/ Jackson in the secondary. 

our D could be really good if healthy. Clowney/Cunningham/McKinney/Mercilus would be a top 5 linebacking group 

6 minutes ago, amazingandre said:

Honey Badger might be available, I would sell the farm for him

Yes, oh yes I would be all over that. Mathieu becomes priority #1 for the team if he's on the market - send out the private jet to fly him in, don't let him leave Houston until he signs a deal.

8 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Yes, oh yes I would be all over that. Mathieu becomes priority #1 for the team if he's on the market - send out the private jet to fly him in, don't let him leave Houston until he signs a deal.

ummmm guys hes not going anywhere......his cap hit this season is 14 million, if they cut him, his cap hit is 28 million. 

on another note, I would be ok with spending a 3rd round pick on a QB. Maybe JT Barrett(maybe not a 3rd) or if Jackson was still around in the 3rd, he would be worth the risk to give us some insurance and also a project we can flip at some point. Hes probably too big a name to go get in the 3rd without creating controversy. 

5 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

ummmm guys hes not going anywhere......his cap hit this season is 14 million, if they cut him, his cap hit is 28 million. 

Based on this article, there's a team option to pick up on - if the Cardinals didn't pick it up, he'd be a UFA:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000918166/article/debrief-tyrann-mathieu-arizona-cardinals-heading-for-divorce

Don't get me wrong - if I'm a betting man, I'm assuming the Cardinals are picking up the option. This article is a bit of click bait in that sense, but if the option WASN'T picked up, you've got to attack.

Just now, EliteTexan80 said:

Based on this article, there's a team option to pick up on - if the Cardinals didn't pick it up, he'd be a UFA:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000918166/article/debrief-tyrann-mathieu-arizona-cardinals-heading-for-divorce

Don't get me wrong - if I'm a betting man, I'm assuming the Cardinals are picking up the option. This article is a bit of click bait in that sense, but if the option WASN'T picked up, you've got to attack.

I dont understand everything, so i could be wrong, but from what ive been reading, I think they can get out of paying him anymore money, but cant get out of the cap hit they will take by cutting him. I might not be understanding that right though

16 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I dont understand everything, so i could be wrong, but from what ive been reading, I think they can get out of paying him anymore money, but cant get out of the cap hit they will take by cutting him. I might not be understanding that right though

Gregg Rosenthal is making it seem as if the team option is for 2018 and 2019 - in essence, by not picking up the option, there would be no penalty:

https://mobile.twitter.com/greggrosenthal/status/968892020508020736

I'm just as clueless on this as you are, so I'll see how it plays out.

Kenny Vaccaro is due to hit the market shortly - he seemed out of place in New Orleans, playing more of a deep zone coverage scheme when his true strength is playing in the box and covering backs and TEs out of the box. He'd have flashes of brilliance in the position, he'd make pretty heady and athletic plays once in a while.

I think he'd be a nice compliment in our secondary, and could be had on the cheap. He ended the season with an injury so you'd have to vet that out...

9 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Kenny Vaccaro is due to hit the market shortly - he seemed out of place in New Orleans, playing more of a deep zone coverage scheme when his true strength is playing in the box and covering backs and TEs out of the box. He'd have flashes of brilliance in the position, he'd make pretty heady and athletic plays once in a while.

I think he'd be a nice compliment in our secondary, and could be had on the cheap. He ended the season with an injury so you'd have to vet that out...

I'm on board with Vaccaro, but only as a fallback behind Burnett, Joyner, and Reid all of whom present far superior coverage ability which is job #1 as far as I'm concerned.  I don't think he is going to come cheap by any stretch (just cheap-er than the other 3) as he's a 27 year old 1st rounder who had a solid season and seemed more misused in New Orleans than anything (they just signed Kurt Coleman for 3/$18 as 30 year old vet depth, so KV is getting more years and I suspect almost double the money).  This is a team that let Malcolm Jenkins walk as well, so I think it's a matter of Marcus Williams being a steal, Bell being solid/cheap, and them having cap priorities elsewhere in a division that doesn't feature the slot much.  Doesn't mean the rest of the league doesn't view Vaccaro as at least an above average starter which still means lots of money considering some barely above average corners are about to break bank.  Personally, I don't think he's elite by any stretch, but in the right environment he could finally show the consistency that has been lacking in part due to injury and "above average" might as well be "elite" for what we've been sticking out there at Strong Safety since Daniel Manning's knees went. 

My only real objection is that he seems a bit similar to Kareem Jackson as a solid tackler who makes some great plays followed by some head scratchers and is really limited to the slot or box as he was exposed deep, albeit before the Saints had real corners.  Question for me is where the line is where Jackson's poor coverage skills for a corner translate to good for a strong safety and if it's enough to compensate for the size difference as Jackson may be a hitter, but he'd be way undersized giving up 2 inches and 20+ lbs to Vaccaro which is a concern in a division featuring Fournette, Henry/Murray, and maybe Barkely. There are no guarantees that Jackson translates to safety as his biggest problems have always come in poor route recognition, poor tracking skills, and poor foot & hand technique all of which are needed at safety although it should help mitigate his other problem which is slow play speed and now declining real speed.  What remains a mystery to me is in what universe proven studs like Mathieu, Sherman, Talib, and Earl Thomas are possible trade candidates to cut salary (along with Haden last year) while $9 million slot corner Kareem Jackson seems to still be safe despite topping out a mediocre and yet another season confirming his status as one of the worst cover corners in the league (tackling corner aint a thing you pay for / cover corner is).

8 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Seahawks release Jeremy Lane.  I know Gaine was in Buffalo last season but maybe he might have interest in him for CB depth. 

Think Lane failed a physical, no?

8 hours ago, amazingandre said:

I’d be offering Zona something for honey badger 

Yup. You've gotta think an extension is part of the deal, so you can probably drive the price down. Two 6th round picks (the two comp picks for Simon and Demps) and a 4th next year should be fair compensation (look at what Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib just went for). 

If Gaine does something of this nature, he's immediately my favorite GM of all time for the Texans.

2 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Think Lane failed a physical, no?

Yup. You've gotta think an extension is part of the deal, so you can probably drive the price down. Two 6th round picks (the two comp picks for Simon and Demps) and a 4th next year should be fair compensation (look at what Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib just went for). 

If Gaine does something of this nature, he's immediately my favorite GM of all time for the Texans.

You cant trade comp picks

Archived