The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

36 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It sounds like the Colts are prepared to take Levis at #4. If you want a QB you basically have to get to #3.

Interesting.  I’d absolutely pass on moving up.  Far too much cost and risk for me.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Devilshark69 said:

I’m hoping it’s all smoke , no fire personally. I’d absolutely hate a trade up this year. 

I think it’s real. I mean we know for a fact they were in discussions with the Bears about #1 already 

3 hours ago, Devilshark69 said:

To me it’s very simple, and no need for overthinking this. All 4 this year have “questions” so to speak. Then leave them to others. Wait for next years draft. Do what ya gotta do next year to secure “the guy”. We’re not gonna keep pace with Herbert and mahomie with a “maybe”. Go with someone like DTR later in the draft to develope and be the back up for this year. 

The only challenge I see with this is the Raiders may not select this high again, so there is risk you can't get the guy. Same logic Seattle is applying when thinking QB in the draft. You don't get a lot of opportunities to draft this high. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It sounds like the Colts are prepared to take Levis at #4.

If Carolina won't trade down to #4, yes.

A RBquaQB (aka a "RBQ") such as Anthony Richardson will appeal to a certain type of team:  decoy WRs, often a fine TE, great defense, and willing to replace that asset every five or six years.  The antipodal opposite of the Raiders.  Think Carolina (28th in 2022 WR targeting; remember Cam Newton?) or Baltimore (30th, Lamar Jackson?) here.

Ziegler will probably "let the field decide":  sit with Garoppolo unless Levis or Hooker is still around at #38 (as unlikely as that may be).  Trading up to #3 is out of the question but trading from #38 into the first round for Levis-Hooker is a vague possibility.

While the franchise has other priorities I'd be surprised if Ziegler took anything other than a CB [or DL] at #7.

In order to get Williams or Maye, would have to be in the top 3. MH2 I believe could go #2 if the team already has a QB. I believe both 2023 and 2024 has starting caliber QBs all over it

Penix, Nix, Rattler , Pratt , Leary, Hartmann are potentially the 2nd level who will be drafted next year. 

• Like 1

Just now, big_palooka said:

The only challenge I see with this is the Raiders may not select this high again, so there is risk you can't get the guy. Same logic Seattle is applying when thinking QB in the draft. You don't get a lot of opportunities to draft this high. 

I understand that bro, and I get it. Call me pessimistic but I just don’t see us being very good this year if I’m being honest. Hell I tried to be optimistic last year in spite of my gut feeling. I have zero optimism this year. I truly believe well be picking in the top 10 again. We’ll see. And no, I’m in no way hoping for that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

If Carolina won't trade down to #4, yes.

A RBquaQB (aka a "RBQ") such as Anthony Richardson will appeal to a certain type of team:  decoy WRs, often a fine TE, great defense, and willing to replace that asset every five or six years.  The antipodal opposite of the Raiders.  Think Carolina (28th in 2022 WR targeting; remember Cam Newton?) or Baltimore (30th, Lamar Jackson?) here.

Ziegler will probably "let the field decide":  sit with Garoppolo unless Levis or Hooker is still around at #38 (as unlikely as that may be).  Trading up to #3 is out of the question but trading from #38 into the first round for Levis-Hooker is a vague possibility.

While the franchise has other priorities I'd be surprised if Ziegler took anything other than a CB [or DL] at #7.

Idk Ziegler has been overly aggressive when it comes to skill position guys and extremely conservative addressing other position groups / the defense. We only carried 7 OL so that we could keep 5 RB and then didn’t use any of them except Jacobs lol

2 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

In order to get Williams or Maye, would have to be in the top 3. MH2 I believe could go #2 if the team already has a QB. I believe both 2023 and 2024 has starting caliber QBs all over it

Penix, Nix, Rattler , Pratt , Leary, Hartmann are potentially the 2nd level who will be drafted next year. 

Ewers >

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Also Seattle wasn’t picking this high, they’re playing with funny money, they have 2 firsts so they can afford a miss easier than we can by far. Slightly better situation than us. 

• Like 1

Just now, big_palooka said:

Wouldn't even be top 5. 

Giving up multiple firsts / premium picks to move up for a 24 year old QB who’s weaknesses are pocket presence, accuracy, decision making, and reading defenses…

It’d definitely be up there because we’d be setting’s  ourselves back 2-4 years.  

3 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

I understand that bro, and I get it. Call me pessimistic but I just don’t see us being very good this year if I’m being honest. Hell I tried to be optimistic last year in spite of my gut feeling. I have zero optimism this year. I truly believe well be picking in the top 10 again. We’ll see. And no, I’m in no way hoping for that. 

You need to picking top 3 to land "the guy" in any draft. If Williams and Maye were in this class, they'd go 1 and 2. 

Depends on Jimmy G's health for me. I think he stays relatively healthy and they are a .500 team. I don't write him off as injured like most. Most his things are freaky and unrelated.