2022 Around league

dll2000

4 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Yup.  Justin fields needs to get “injured” after the bills game and out on IR.  Soreness, Covid, flu, reaggravation of shoulder injury, i don’t care.  Those two games worry me.

If we get to that point, and were still at the #2 pick, someone just has to grab Justin and explain it to him.

If its about 2 games at the end of the season, and hes been fighting through a few bangs and bruises, he has to understand its about the future, his future. Honestly if he doesnt get that, it worries me a little 

• Like 2

Thought it would be interesting to compare Braxton Jones' performances this year to the 1st rounders who have played similar snaps...

Braxton Jones...809 snaps...5 sacks allowed...8 penalties

Ikem Ekwonu...706 snaps...3 sacks allowed...11 penalties

Charles Cross...752 snaps...5 sacks allowed...6 penalties

Tyler Smith...786 snaps...4 sacks allowed...10 penalties

For anyone who takes the site seriously PFF is also saying Jones has a higher grade than them all as well...

Jones - 74.0

Ekwonu - 62.8

Cross - 64.4

Smith - 64.4

Hopefully Jones is Poles Trey Smith of this year long term...if he can keep finding later round gems like this up front we will have this team built in no time.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Thought it would be interesting to compare Braxton Jones' performances this year to the 1st rounders who have played similar snaps...

Braxton Jones...809 snaps...5 sacks allowed...8 penalties

Ikem Ekwonu...706 snaps...3 sacks allowed...11 penalties

Charles Cross...752 snaps...5 sacks allowed...6 penalties

Tyler Smith...786 snaps...4 sacks allowed...10 penalties

For anyone who takes the site seriously PFF is also saying Jones has a higher grade than them all as well...

Jones - 74.0

Ekwonu - 62.8

Cross - 64.4

Smith - 64.4

Hopefully Jones is Poles Trey Smith of this year long term...if he can keep finding later round gems like this up front we will have this team built in no time.

I like what I've seen of Jones so far and I love your optimism think Poles can find a hidden gem every year.  I think I'll temper my expectations and enjoy it when it happens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bfan said:

I like what I've seen of Jones so far and I love your optimism think Poles can find a hidden gem every year.  I think I'll temper my expectations and enjoy it when it happens.

I don't think he is finding a starting OL every year haha...just hope he can find these later round guys that can contribute at least somewhere on the field.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bfan said:

He needs to play with more leg bend and better hands still.   His fundamentals are bad often.

I will admit he shows potential, but he is far from there or a done deal.   His length is a huge plus in his favor.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

He needs to play with more leg bend and better hands still.   His fundamentals are bad often.

I will admit he shows potential, but he is far from there or a done deal.   His length is a huge plus in his favor.

I think that we will see more of a jump from him in the offseason. We all saw the surprise jump he made from the Tape you could watch pre-draft to what we got on field at training camp, those are the times of year that you can actually work on those things.

Its very hard to make whole sale changes mid season, its more about little things for each of your opponents during that time.

Now if he comes in next year and is doing all the same stuff, then yea he has hit a ceiling, and we will likely need to start looking for an upgrade. But the good thing is (I will keep using this term for the next few years) he sets the floor for the LT position, and either he gets better, or we upgrade. And by extension, he starts to set the floor for the entire OL.

7 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think that we will see more of a jump from him in the offseason. We all saw the surprise jump he made from the Tape you could watch pre-draft to what we got on field at training camp, those are the times of year that you can actually work on those things.

Its very hard to make whole sale changes mid season, its more about little things for each of your opponents during that time.

Now if he comes in next year and is doing all the same stuff, then yea he has hit a ceiling, and we will likely need to start looking for an upgrade. But the good thing is (I will keep using this term for the next few years) he sets the floor for the LT position, and either he gets better, or we upgrade. And by extension, he starts to set the floor for the entire OL.

I would agree.   But I thought Daniels was going to take a huge jump after his rookie year and it didn't happen, he actually regressed. 

You never know.

• Like 2

A lot of Bears twitter is jumping on this right now.   I disagree.

Go back and watch that game.  I watched it last night and thought he should be frustrated - I was watching condensed and didn't even see his reactions until today on twitter.  

QB didn't even look or glance his way most of game for some reason. I understand his frustration.

He has had multiple beast mode blocks and highlight reel catches. Were he drafted by CHGO many people would be wearing his jersey right now.

That being said he wasn't drafted in first round and fell because he is an obvious a-hole.   But **** Butkus and Mike Ditka and Lawrence Taylor were a-holes too.   You have to be able to handle and manage these types of personalities with big talents.   If you can, they can be very useful. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I would agree.   But I thought Daniels was going to take a huge jump after his rookie year and it didn't happen, he actually regressed. 

You never know.

Absolutely, thats why I think we will know to start next year if he has hit his ceiling, or if he can keep growing

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Absolutely, thats why I think we will know to start next year if he has hit his ceiling, or if he can keep growing

That would be one of the reasons why you really need to be prepared for this rebuild to take two or three off-seasons.  We may get lucky and everything works out but to many "ifs" to  count on that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

A lot of Bears twitter is jumping on this right now.   I disagree.

Go back and watch that game.  I watched it last night and thought he should be frustrated - I was watching condensed and didn't even see his reactions until today on twitter.  

QB didn't even look or glance his way most of game for some reason. I understand his frustration.

He has had multiple beast mode blocks and highlight reel catches. Were he drafted by CHGO many people would be wearing his jersey right now.

That being said he wasn't drafted in first round and fell because he is an obvious a-hole.   But **** Butkus and Mike Ditka and Lawrence Taylor were a-holes too.   You have to be able to handle and manage these types of personalities with big talents.   If you can, they can be very useful. 

I feel it's time to put the whole Pickens thing to bed...I loved the talent on the field...I couldn't have been clearer on that early in the process last season but let's not act like this is another Trubisky over PMIII or Watson...nearly every team passed Pickens over and it wasn't because of his play it was because things like this are the tip of the iceberg when it comes to him thinking he is better than he is right now...

Now that said had we had a quality team and Poles was looking for a pick that came with risk but could also have put us over the top then I say go for it...but for a GM in his first draft trying to build a culture on what he knows is going to be a pretty poor team the risk was far too big.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I feel it's time to put the whole Pickens thing to bed...I loved the talent on the field...I couldn't have been clearer on that early in the process last season but let's not act like this is another Trubisky over PMIII or Watson...nearly every team passed Pickens over and it wasn't because of his play it was because things like this are the tip of the iceberg when it comes to him thinking he is better than he is right now...

Now that said had we had a quality team and Poles was looking for a pick that came with risk but could also have put us over the top then I say go for it...but for a GM in his first draft trying to build a culture on what he knows is going to be a pretty poor team the risk was far too big.

There is no choice.  It's spilt milk.  Like Mahomes.  

But for people to act like he is a bust or something already and Poles is completely vindicated in passing on him because he complained after a game is wrong.

That guy Swifty virtually said in offseason every draft pick was a future starter and nearly every FA was going to work out. 

He is way overly positive on everything.   Some Bears twitter people called him out on it yesterday or day before and he went on a blocking spree.   Overly sensitive.

They were being pricks about it. 

But still.  It's twitter.  It's internet.  If you are going to be a "network" you need some thick skin.