My offer to Terry McLaruin

DCNative

Signing bonuses &’other guarantees a player may get at signing are still prorated throughout several years of the contract. Depending on how the contract is designed and the length the contract, the guarantees could be all in the first two years or it could be for 4 or 5 years. It just depends.

An example of this is that Carson Wentz still has guaranteed $ on his contract this season. The team has a potential out after this season where there will be no dead cap for them to pay if he’s cut after this season.

The team waited to cut Landon Collins for similar reasons.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/washington-commanders

You can click on the link above, it shows all of the Commanders players w/ their contract breakdowns if you just click on the hyperlink of the players & what would happen if we cut them or traded them.

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Signing bonuses &’other guarantees a player may get at signing are still prorated throughout several years of the contract. Depending on how the contract is designed and the length the contract, the guarantees could be all in the first two years or it could be for 4 or 5 years. It just depends.

An example of this is that Carson Wentz still has guaranteed $ on his contract this season. The team has a potential out after this season where there will be no dead cap for them to pay if he’s cut after this season.

The team waited to cut Landon Collins for similar reasons.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/washington-commanders

You can click on the link above, it shows all of the Commanders players w/ their contract breakdowns if you just click on the hyperlink of the players & what would happen if we cut them or traded them.

Thanks. 

10 hours ago, DCNative said:

Can you explain how his guaranteed money effects future contracts?

The guaranteed just gives all the leverage to the player.  Typically there will be big numbers in the latter years of the contract.  If it is a lot of guaranteed then it generally means lots of dead cap late in the contract, meaning if you cut the player you still pay the cap hit. 

I am sure you are familiar with how we always see these big player deals and then a couple years in they get reworked to move the money and kick the can down the road so the cap hit isn't so severe in a particular year.  The goal of kicking the can isn't just to shift the date, but to lessen and spread out the hit more.  But if the money is all guaranteed then while the player might be open to kicking the can, they are never going to give up the guaranteed money.  So instead of spreading it out, you end up just putting a huge cap hit later.  

To illustrate the pitfalls, I kind of think Cousins' 2018 contract is a good example.  3 year 28M/year all totally guaranteed.  Everyone freaked out about the big numbers at the time, but it turns out 28M/year for a qb isn't much.  It wasn't the money, but the full guaranteed contract that was the real kicker.  Vikings cap was too tight so they needed to move the money around.  Usually this works out for the team, but because his money was all guaranteed they just made a mess of an affordable contract.  They had to then restructure it again and so if you can believe it, in this current season he has a 80 million of cap hits again in the next 3 years.  Basically the moral of the story is if the guaranteed is high, restructuring doesn't end up benefiting the team.  But it doesn't necessarily effect the average cap hit.  

5 hours ago, offbyone said:

The guaranteed just gives all the leverage to the player.  Typically there will be big numbers in the latter years of the contract.  If it is a lot of guaranteed then it generally means lots of dead cap late in the contract, meaning if you cut the player you still pay the cap hit. 

I am sure you are familiar with how we always see these big player deals and then a couple years in they get reworked to move the money and kick the can down the road so the cap hit isn't so severe in a particular year.  The goal of kicking the can isn't just to shift the date, but to lessen and spread out the hit more.  But if the money is all guaranteed then while the player might be open to kicking the can, they are never going to give up the guaranteed money.  So instead of spreading it out, you end up just putting a huge cap hit later.  

To illustrate the pitfalls, I kind of think Cousins' 2018 contract is a good example.  3 year 28M/year all totally guaranteed.  Everyone freaked out about the big numbers at the time, but it turns out 28M/year for a qb isn't much.  It wasn't the money, but the full guaranteed contract that was the real kicker.  Vikings cap was too tight so they needed to move the money around.  Usually this works out for the team, but because his money was all guaranteed they just made a mess of an affordable contract.  They had to then restructure it again and so if you can believe it, in this current season he has a 80 million of cap hits again in the next 3 years.  Basically the moral of the story is if the guaranteed is high, restructuring doesn't end up benefiting the team.  But it doesn't necessarily effect the average cap hit.  

Can you break down Kirks 84 million dollar guaranteed contract the way you did his new one? Or just break down my offer to Terry.

I'd also be willing to bring that 85 down to 60-70 with McLaruin. I do see how 85 is way more than any other WR signed in 2022. 

5 years 110 million 65 million guaranteed is my new offer. 

Edited by DCNative

7 hours ago, DCNative said:

Can you break down Kirks 84 million dollar guaranteed contract the way you did his new one? Or just break down my offer to Terry.

I'd also be willing to bring that 85 down to 60-70 with McLaruin. I do see how 85 is way more than any other WR signed in 2022. 

5 years 110 million 65 million guaranteed is my new offer. 

It just feeds into dead cap essentially, meaning you can't cut the player without providing a dead cap.

It's hard to map it out cause there are other factors like do you front load or backload.  You could front load a contract that has a lot of guaranteed so in the later years it still feels like a contract that has less.  I among others here think we should do that since we have the cap space to take a hit now on his contract.  

I think Terry's contract should fall in the 100M /4 years which is what most of the comps line up for.  And I would imagine guaranteed amount is the big sticking point between Terry and us right now.  

20 minutes ago, offbyone said:

It just feeds into dead cap essentially, meaning you can't cut the player without providing a dead cap.

It's hard to map it out cause there are other factors like do you front load or backload.  You could front load a contract that has a lot of guaranteed so in the later years it still feels like a contract that has less.  I among others here think we should do that since we have the cap space to take a hit now on his contract.  

I think Terry's contract should fall in the 100M /4 years which is what most of the comps line up for.  And I would imagine guaranteed amount is the big sticking point between Terry and us right now.  

Guaranteed money should matter. You can't tell me a team isn't willing to give Terry 60-70 million guaranteed! Especially the Team that drafted him where he's made a Huge Difference already. Fans should then especially stop buying Washington Commanders product because it's clearly shows they aren't about Winning Football Games! 

2 hours ago, DCNative said:

Guaranteed money should matter. You can't tell me a team isn't willing to give Terry 60-70 million guaranteed! Especially the Team that drafted him where he's made a Huge Difference already. Fans should then especially stop buying Washington Commanders product because it's clearly shows they aren't about Winning Football Games! 

Yes, I would think around $60 mil in total guarantees would be fair.

AJ Brown’s contract is:

4 yrs, $100 million 

$23.234 signing bonus

$39.999 guaranteed at signing 

$57.22 in guarantees 

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yes, I would think around $60 mil in total guarantees would be fair.

AJ Brown’s contract is:

4 yrs, $100 million 

$23.234 signing bonus

$39.999 guaranteed at signing 

$57.22 in guarantees 

Ok I know I offered 65 guaranteed while AJ only got 57.22. Terry is My Guy, the Guy We drafted so Yes I'm Willing to give him More guaranteed money than AJ Brown and others. This little petty money to Snyder shouldn't be what keeps Franchise guys from being kept, Especially in Washington.