My offer to Terry McLaruin

DCNative

32 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Yeah, I love him, but he just hasn’t shown the level of production to put him in the same class as guys like Adams, Kupp, Hill, Hopkins, Diggs, etc. And he’s probably been outpaced by the superstar kids in Jefferson and Chase, as well. 

Where he fits is somewhere in that big mess of guys behind that top tier, the group that includes guys like Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, DK Metcalf, Tyler Lockett, AJ Brown, DJ Moore, Amari Cooper, Keenan Allen, Deebo Samuel, Calvin Ridley, etc. I’d give him favorable treatment among those guys because he’s done nearly as much with absolute garbage talent around him, but it’s awfully tough at the moment to say he has to be right at the top of that group either. 

His contract should come in somewhere near AJ Brown and DJ Moore. That honestly seems like the sort of statement that should be so obvious and self-evident (to both sides) that I don’t see why this is proving to be at all difficult to get done. 

Agree with this.  I guess part of the question is how much of a premium are you paying for that C on his jersey. 

But your last sentence pretty much says it all.  They have so many comps now I don't get the issue.  It is like arguing over a house price when the identical two on either side sold the week before.  You know the value, the only point of discussion is structure and I don't see the issue since we have cap space.  I would pay it forward so we have flexibility.

• Like 1

Two outside the box thoughts since the parameters of a deal are done if you look at Moore, Brown, etc:

1) Terry doesn't really want to be here. I wouldn't blame him.

2) Dan Snyder won't sign off on an AJ type deal for Terry because Dan's a cheap, egotistical maniac who's only out for himself. 

• Like 1

Just now, MikeT14 said:

Two outside the box thoughts since the parameters of a deal are done if you look at Moore, Brown, etc:

1) Terry doesn't really want to be here. I wouldn't blame him.

2) Dan Snyder won't sign off on an AJ type deal for Terry because Dan's a cheap, egotistical maniac who's only out for himself. 

I've been adamant that its #2 - Dan is only going to pay the 90% of salary cap b/c he knows that he is being ousted and wants to keep the $$$. Terrible what we are subjected to by this man.... 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Troublez said:

I've been adamant that its #2 - Dan is only going to pay the 90% of salary cap b/c he knows that he is being ousted and wants to keep the $$$. Terrible what we are subjected to by this man.... 

All of history has shown the opposite.  Snyder has never had a problem with paying players.  And if this is the case, why did he approve paying a middling qb in Wentz 28 million?

33 minutes ago, offbyone said:

All of history has shown the opposite.  Snyder has never had a problem with paying players.  And if this is the case, why did he approve paying a middling qb in Wentz 28 million?

Buy the time you write it off as business expense and you put 4,000 to 5,000 extra people in the seats ( that seems conservative ! )  because they love Terry..Sells all those Terry jerseys etc . ,,It's a breakeven deal. He's a businessman-surely he can figure this out .

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

😂 I mean I like Terry, and I like winning — but having the most cap space every year and saving Dan Snyder as much money as possible is what really gets me going as a fan. I’ve been found out, I admit it, and I apologize to any better fans who care more about having good players and winning Super Bowls. 

So you don't want to win Superbowls? Like is this a serious post? 

I'm not blaming Dan on not wanting to Pay Terry until it's said Dan is running contracts again. Dan has never had a issue paying players. That's why most Fans wanted a Real GM because Dan was paying Players past thier prime, during the Vinny Cerato days 

I really believe this is on Ron and his GM not wanting to pay Terry oppose to Dan.

If Terry isn't signed long term and Fans continue to Support this organizationj, this just shows why The Organization can continue to do what they have been doing and stay at the top Making Money. I care about Wins and Superbowls, not filling up seats. The more fans stop supporting this BS, the quicker We can actually see Winning again in Washington.

You know the Joe Gibb days. Seven years in already I believe had been to 3 Superbowls. Even when he returned in 2004 ( I may be wrong) Players played Hard, Intelligent, and Passionate Football to Win games. They had a structure and consistently did what needed to be done to Win games. Am I the only one who knows with the Right HC and GM making the Major decisions Washington could really compete with the best of the best? 

Edited by DCNative

On 6/13/2022 at 10:50 AM, e16bball said:

Not trying to be difficult, but just for the record, 4/$100M is actually more (on a yearly basis, at least) than 5/$120M. On its face, I’d much rather give Terry the 5/120 because it would mean an extra year on the back end for $20M. Which I suspect will still look like a good value in 2026, even though Terry will be into his 30s by then. 

AJ got $57M guaranteed, so giving Terry $85M would be a massive jump from there. Adams only got $67.5M guaranteed over 5 years, so there’s really no way Terry is going to approach that territory. If he wants an absolutely unprecedented $85M guaranteed, that would be the entire contract for me. I’m not giving extra contract money on top of that massive guarantee. 

I think he’ll come in right around Brown’s deal. I think the Eagles overpaid, which they probably had to do in order to get their money’s worth out of the trade they made for him — but I do think that’s going to be a bit of a sticky point in the negotiations, because $25M is too much for Terry based on the other deals we’ve seen for good receivers this offseason (with Christian Kirk being the major exception). 

My proposal (as Washington) would be something like 5/$115M with $60M guaranteed. That’s way more than I expected it to take to retain him 6 months ago, but their “conservative” approach (that doesn’t conserve a damn thing) has put us here after the WR market exploded. It’s more than I’d like to pay him, to be honest — but for some guys, you just bite the bullet and pay. 

Ok so where 5 million apart on the total 120 but I'll take the 60 million guaranteed. Are you ready to lose Terry McLaruin for 5-10 million guaranteed dollars? 

3 hours ago, offbyone said:

I'd say things have changed in recent years. I don't think the spending is as willy nilly gung ho as it used to be, do you? Sure there are exceptions, but I think Snyder from 2000s doesn't exist. 

1 hour ago, DCNative said:

Ok so where 5 million apart on the total 120 but I'll take the 60 million guaranteed. Are you ready to lose Terry McLaruin for 5-10 million guaranteed dollars? 

I'd say you do to 2m-5m extra in guaranteed $. That should get the deal done. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'd say things have changed in recent years. I don't think the spending is as willy nilly gung ho as it used to be, do you? Sure there are exceptions, but I think Snyder from 2000s doesn't exist. 

True, we haven't, but I attribute that to that more to Snyder not actually being a GM and making the deals but rather just approving the big deals.  That has pretty much been a constant since the Bruce Allen era when Snyder took a big step back from direct recruitment.  

Although I will circle back to Carson Wentz.  If he is cheap, how can he approve that deal?  If he is cheap, how could he approve tagging Scherff a second time?  I just have a real hard time putting the issue on Snyder.  When you also consider the list of players Rivera's front office has bumbled, hard for me not to put it on Rivera.  

Just now, offbyone said:

True, we haven't, but I attribute that to that more to Snyder not actually being a GM and making the deals but rather just approving the big deals.  That has pretty much been a constant since the Bruce Allen era when Snyder took a big step back from direct recruitment.  

Although I will circle back to Carson Wentz.  If he is cheap, how can he approve that deal?  If he is cheap, how could he approve tagging Scherff a second time?  I just have a real hard time putting the issue on Snyder.  When you also consider the list of players Rivera's front office has bumbled, hard for me not to put it on Rivera.  

I'm not saying my theory has a legit shot of being correct, I'm just throwing out there that with all the turmoil surrounding him, what might have changed? Throwing darts is all. 

2 hours ago, DCNative said:

I'm not blaming Dan on not wanting to Pay Terry until it's said Dan is running contracts again. Dan has never had a issue paying players. That's why most Fans wanted a Real GM because Dan was paying Players past thier prime, during the Vinny Cerato days 

I appreciate your perspective here; however, I think that Dan is no longer sitting at the table. This dude is being called before Congress to answer questions regarding 2 separate scandals, both of which could result in a forced termination. I know the NFL has certain marketability premiums when teams are sold - but generally, anyone close to an exit a la sale will be prudent with expenses to increase profitability of a potential gain. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'd say you do to 2m-5m extra in guaranteed $. That should get the deal done. 

5 million extra in guaranteed and it's a done deal. This is how Washington should be negotiating with McLaruin and his agent. I'm pretty sure McLaruin and his agent aren't asking for some outrageous deal. They just want Market Value for McLaruin. Also McLaruin fits the bill in Washington.