My offer to Terry McLaruin

DCNative

33 minutes ago, Troublez said:

I appreciate your perspective here; however, I think that Dan is no longer sitting at the table. This dude is being called before Congress to answer questions regarding 2 separate scandals, both of which could result in a forced termination. I know the NFL has certain marketability premiums when teams are sold - but generally, anyone close to an exit a la sale will be prudent with expenses to increase profitability of a potential gain. 

So we agree Dan isn't the one making the decision not to pay Terry McLaruin. 

2 hours ago, DCNative said:

So we agree Dan isn't the one making the decision not to pay Terry McLaruin. 

I'm not sure how to respond to this other than - no, we don't agree. Dan is 100% the reason we're not paying Terry. For the reasons I previously commented on....

• Like 3

Give him a 4 year extension worth 100 mill like brown, but structure a 10 million raise this year guaranteed, which would put him around 14 mill this year.

With the 10 mill raise this year that would essentially be 90mill over the next 4 years. Roughly 22.5mill average over the 4 years.

no guarentee in year 4 of extension

boom done

• Like 2

On 6/14/2022 at 8:52 PM, LoganF89 said:

Give him a 4 year extension worth 100 mill like brown, but structure a 10 million raise this year guaranteed, which would put him around 14 mill this year.

With the 10 mill raise this year that would essentially be 90mill over the next 4 years. Roughly 22.5mill average over the 4 years.

no guarentee in year 4 of extension

boom done

You don’t need to give Terry a raise this year. You structure the contract where his base salary/cap hit doesn’t go up to $20m + until next year.

If Terry gets a $100 mil contract his guaranteed $ is going to be $50 to $60 mil. He’ll get all of that $ upfront, the day he signs. Like the signing bonus for example which should be $10-20 mil, he’ll get that the minute he signed the contract it’s guaranteed. There can be other guarantees in there as well at signing. Amari Cooper got $40m guaranteed at signing, $60m in total guarantees in his 5 year, $100m contract he signed in 2020.

38 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You don’t need to give Terry a raise this year. You structure the contract where his base salary/cap hit doesn’t go up to $20m + until next year.

If Terry gets a $100 mil contract his guaranteed $ is going to be $50 to $60 mil. He’ll get all of that $ upfront, the day he signs. Like the signing bonus for example which should be $10-20 mil, he’ll get that the minute he signed the contract it’s guaranteed. There can be other guarantees in there as well at signing. Amari Cooper got $40m guaranteed at signing, $60m in total guarantees in his 5 year, $100m contract he signed in 2020.

The Market Value for WR's has went up since 2020. Terry Agent has failed him if he were to sign that same deal in 2022. 

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

You may not “need” to — but why wouldn’t you want to? 

Thanks to having sat out FA almost completely, we’ve got a ton of cap space available at this point. There’s very little in terms of high-dollar talent left out there for the taking. We may as well use some of that space to absorb some of Terry’s new contract, even if it’s just the pro-rated portion of whatever signing bonus he gets. We can soften the impact on future years’ cap numbers by eating more up front than a team typically might choose to (if they’re flush against the cap). 

And if agreeing to give him more money up front might get him to drop his total money demand, it could work in your favor twice to do so. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

Thanks to having sat out FA almost completely, we’ve got a ton of cap space available at this point. There’s very little in terms of high-dollar talent left out there for the taking. We may as well use some of that space to absorb some of Terry’s new contract, even if it’s just the pro-rated portion of whatever signing bonus he gets. We can soften the impact on future years’ cap numbers by eating more up front than a team typically might choose to (if they’re flush against the cap). 

And if agreeing to give him more money up front might get him to drop his total money demand, it could work in your favor twice to do so. 

True, this is why you’re my vote for GM of the Washington Commanders every year!

Edited by turtle28

On 6/17/2022 at 3:26 PM, e16bball said:

Was just about to say exactly this to Turtle. Glad to see someone else said it. We have the space. Let's use it for part of Terry's contract so it makes other contracts later down the line easier to get done

My guess is he ends up getting traded. Even if Dotson has been a stud in minicamp, there’s a strategic reason you’re hearing so much about him. They’re preparing the fanbase for Terry’s departure.  He’s not going to report for training camp and they’ll say they did all they could do “offered highest contract ever” and Terry declined. If I had to really guess he’ll start the year as a Patriot or Packer. 

I think he sits out Camp and the first 7 or 8 games of the season. This will give him credit for a full year I think if he comes in at like game 8 or something. Then we franchise 2023 and maybe 2024 . It'll be ugly . 

We're not going to overpay and that is what it will take to sign him . We should trade him now if we can get a # !. 

Just now, RSkinGM said:

I think he sits out Camp and the first 7 or 8 games of the season. This will give him credit for a full year I think if he comes in at like game 8 or something. Then we franchise 2023 and maybe 2024 . It'll be ugly . 

We're not going to overpay and that is what it will take to sign him . We should trade him now if we can get a # !. 

What’s an overpay? It literally took them 40 years to draft a receiver of this quality. We suck. We’ve sucked forever. What are you saving this money for? Like I cannot wrap my head around the fans calling this an overpay. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

What’s an overpay? It literally took them 40 years to draft a receiver of this quality. We suck. We’ve sucked forever. What are you saving this money for? Like I cannot wrap my head around the fans calling this an overpay. 

An Overpay is Top 5 money . whatever that is. Please understand - I want nothing more than to see a Headline. "Commanders sign Terry McLaurin for 5 years ! " I'm just saying how I expect this mess to play out. 

• Like 1

Gonna be pretty disappointing if we lose Terry McLaurin. We've waited years to find a #1 talented WR that WE DRAFTED & was just unable too.

From Rod Gardner, Josh Doctson, Michael Westbrook, Desmond Howard, etc. of failed 1st Rd draft prospects throughout the years. The list goes on & on & on....

Now part of that could have been because we didn't have a good QB to throw to them, which we've waited longer for it seems as well. (A QB)

But, Scary Terry is the real deal. Great leader, locker room player, captain, etc. 

Could his numbers actually get better, with better QB play? One has to wonder...

So for that reason alone, I'm locking this dude up as our franchise WR as much as I can.

I do not let this player walk, I do NOT trade this player. Period!

I franchise TAG him every year, till he caves or he's 30.

Or, if a stupid team like the Browns offers multiple 1sts & 2nd Rd picks.

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

Lets be honestly, we are absolutely going to overpay.  We are trailing a booming WR market and so thats just how its gonna be.  It will be very hard for him to play up to this contract and I suspect that will be true for at least half the top WRs who signed this year.  But we need to have context, he will still be much cheaper than stop gap like Wentz and i prefer to overpay our own drafted guy we know and like than some free agent.  We just need to get it done already.

Here is a slightly different perspective, that has zero facts to back it up what-so-ever, I believe Terry McLaurin, Deebo Samuel and D.K. Metcalf have a pact that none of them will accept below a certain amount. That they all defined a value for their status as #1 WRs and will all sign for around the same amount, but not below their assigned minimum. 

I also said that the Dotson pick concerned me when it happened, because he reminds me a lot of Terry McLaurin. They publicly opted to replace DaRon Payne with Phidareus Mathis and they may quietly have attempted to replace Terry McLaurin with Jahan Dotson. (At the very least it was an insurance policy)

I still think they will get a deal done with Terry. The majority of this fanbase would riot if he wasn't paid appropriately. He is everything an organization should want out of an employee. 

• Like 1