NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

We'll take 5 or 6 unprotected firsts then, thanks!

hahahahaha you'll get Jericho Sims, Obi Toppin, 2 top 5 protected firsts and maybe 2 pick swaps and you'll like it. Just have to outbid Herro/Robinson/2 firsts. I'd rather have Knicks firsts than Miami's just given franchise history.

9 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Except the Nets don't have to trade him. Despite what anyone says, Kyrie isn't going to sit out the rest of his prime because he didn't get his way. If I'm an owner (especially one with no 1st rd picks in the coming years) I'd rather play hardball than get pennies on the dollar in value.

If you dont think Kyrie will sit out you haven't watched Kyrie these last...5 years? lol Guy doesn't care. At all. 

5 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

If you dont think Kyrie will sit out you haven't watched Kyrie these last...5 years? lol Guy doesn't care. At all. 

Then let him.  Next time a diva tries to get his way, he'll think twice.  It's not like a Lakers pick 5-6 years from now is drastically changing your fortunes.

19 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Then let him.  Next time a diva tries to get his way, he'll think twice.  It's not like a Lakers pick 5-6 years from now is drastically changing your fortunes.

Then you lose the asset entirely. 

You can keep the expiring contract with Russ and add THT + 2 1sts. Or you get nothing.

Don't let being stubborn cloud your judgement. 

47 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Then you lose the asset entirely. 

You can keep the expiring contract with Russ and add THT + 2 1sts. Or you get nothing.

Don't let being stubborn cloud your judgement. 

If he doesnt play, they save 36M.  If they trade for Russ and THT, they are paying 45M for a couple first round picks in the distant future. 

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

If he doesnt play, they save 36M.  If they trade for Russ and THT, they are paying 45M for a couple first round picks in the distant future. 

I'm not entirely sure how it works, but they would just fine him until they get the money back. They dont just get that money in cap space next season. 

It's getting nothing vs getting nickels, but its still something. Nets hold all the leverage on KD, but Kyrie, not so much.

6 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I'm not entirely sure how it works, but they would just fine him until they get the money back. They dont just get that money in cap space next season. 

It's getting nothing vs getting nickels, but its still something. Nets hold all the leverage on KD, but Kyrie, not so much.

If he just sits out without injury, they wont have to pay him.  I am sure he would fake something like ben Simmons did but still, 45 is a lot to pay for some future picks that likely are mid to late first rounders knowing how the Lakers typically rebuild. I would be all for setting a precedent that teams have some leverage if you sign the contract to avoid this pouty, trade me to a dynasty attitude. The return from the Lakers is not valuable IMO.  Nothing you cant easily get in any year with a bench player. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

If he just sits out without injury, they wont have to pay him.  I am sure he would fake something like ben Simmons did but still, 45 is a lot to pay for some future picks that likely are mid to late first rounders knowing how the Lakers typically rebuild. I would be all for setting a precedent that teams have some leverage if you sign the contract to avoid this pouty, trade me to a dynasty attitude. The return from the Lakers is not valuable IMO.  Nothing you cant easily get in any year with a bench player. 

If someone was going to do it, they would have done it by now. There's reason teams dont stand up to players. They will lose and hurt their chances at obtaining FA's in the future. 

No other team is offering anything for Kyrie because he knows where he wants to go and is willing to sit out.

So we are back to square 1. You either get nothing for the asset or you get very little. 

11 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Except the Nets don't have to trade him. Despite what anyone says, Kyrie isn't going to sit out the rest of his prime because he didn't get his way. If I'm an owner (especially one with no 1st rd picks in the coming years) I'd rather play hardball than get pennies on the dollar in value.

He LITERALLY did that last year.  What makes you so sure he wouldn't do it again?

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

No.  But if your choices are to get something (a large expiring contract and a future unprotected pick or two) or to pay him to sit in street clothes while you're stuck paying the luxury tax, it seems pretty simple.

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

They don't.  They can fine him, and try to recoup some of that money but that's assuming the player is willing to go down without a fight.  And you don't get any luxury tax savings.

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He LITERALLY did that last year.  What makes you so sure he wouldn't do it again?

Because at some point you have to assume he won't want to piss away the rest of the prime of his career

3 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Because at some point you have to assume he won't want to piss away the rest of the prime of his career

He is a FA at the end of the season.  He can then be free to sign anywhere he wants.