UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

So, as always with you, things could be better. Ever the wet blanket. Of course if we had a more established QB we’d be an easier sell. That isn’t exactly breaking news. That doesn’t mean he’s not still a strong selling point. 

I swear Windy you could win the lotto and you’d probably respond by saying “Yeah... well I’ve still never had a hole-in-one.”

A big part of why we are going to be searching for a new coach in the first place is BECAUSE Mitch hasn’t gotten the chance to be showcased more this year. Would you at least agree that we are in a better position to sell the job to the top candidates than last time we were hiring a HC with Cutler in toe?

Just being realistic about the job.

You are welcome to ignore reality because it is too negative. This entire Mitch thing has been botched, which sucks because he is our best selling point for the job.

We are in a better position that last time, but the past doesn't really impact the search this season. Comparing the Bears to the Bears only means you are better than horrible.

9 hours ago, G08 said:

I think ultimately what is going to sell THIS job is Pace's ability to sell his humility and desire to be great. He doesn't operate with a "you rank below me, know your role" type of demeanor; in fact he is quite the opposite.

If you want to take Windy's stance that we are a 2nd rate team in the NFL, nobody wants to come here, then why wouldn't DeFilippo be interested if we are? Why are teams like the Giants and Colts gunning for someone who only has one year of experience calling plays in the NFL?

Hiring Defilippo is rolling the dice and betting on upside. I maintain that he is 1-2 years away from being a highly touted head coaching prospect; it is why I want to pounce on him NOW: we don't have the luxury of waiting another 1-2 years.

You put him in a room with Pace, then put him in a room with Mitch, and see where the cards fall. As for the Colts, I'm of the opinion that Chris Ballard will be gunning for Dave Toub or maybe even Matt Nagy.

Never said no one wants to come here.

I said that we are probably the 3rd or 4th desired location this season.

If this was last year we would have been 2 behind the Rams, but the landscape of openings is different.

You posted an article about how DeFillippo will have multiple options and that he will be a hot candidate. So you are arguing against yourself when you saw we can scoop him early. 

I think we we will interview DeFillippo, but I think if the Colts come knocking, that is a tougher sell for us. Or maybe even the Bucs who have a more talented team, if you can fix the QB.

Unfortunatly the Bears are a 2nd tier team right now. They have lost a ton of games, they have not figured out the QB position, although I like Trubisky, and they have a somewhat embattled GM in place.

If Matt Nagy is the closest thing to Sean McVay this season and blows Pace away in the interview,

I don't want to watch him become the Colts head coach.

I truly feel that the only way for the Bears to be in the drivers seat is to let Trubisky show something for 3-4 games that gets the coaching candidates really excited.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

If Matt Nagy is the closest thing to Sean McVay this season and blows Pace away in the interview,

I don't want to watch him become the Colts head coach.

I truly feel that the only way for the Bears to be in the drivers seat is to let Trubisky show something for 3-4 games that gets the coaching candidates really excited.

Love the new picture of Ryan Pace as your profile pic

the Ryan pace hiding from the media story might be the nail in his coffin.  All week on radio has been talking about Pace's decisions and it feels like emery/tresman all over again.

The sad truth is the bears are probably going to be the last choice of head coaching candidates.  Ryan Pace is on the hot seat and needs to show major improvement in 2018 or he could be gone.  that means the next coach is looking at a 2 year job if things go bad.      

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Never said no one wants to come here.

I said that we are probably the 3rd or 4th desired location this season.

If this was last year we would have been 2 behind the Rams, but the landscape of openings is different.

You posted an article about how DeFillippo will have multiple options and that he will be a hot candidate. So you are arguing against yourself when you saw we can scoop him early. 

I think we we will interview DeFillippo, but I think if the Colts come knocking, that is a tougher sell for us. Or maybe even the Bucs who have a more talented team, if you can fix the QB.

Unfortunatly the Bears are a 2nd tier team right now. They have lost a ton of games, they have not figured out the QB position, although I like Trubisky, and they have a somewhat embattled GM in place.

You have to read what I wrote. If we are a second rate team then we have no shot at the "big name" guys. Instead, we have to take a chance on a 39 year old QB coach that has been an OC once in his NFL career. I'm of the opinion he's 1 to 2 years away from being a head coach. The teams you claim are more attractive than us won't have to "reach" for that kind of coach. 

We can, and we should. I think it's the best move we can make if we want to swing for the fences. If we don't, just go for the bunt single and get Carmichael Jr. 

6 minutes ago, G08 said:

You have to read what I wrote. If we are a second rate team then we have no shot at the "big name" guys. Instead, we have to take a chance on a 39 year old QB coach that has been an OC once in his NFL career. I'm of the opinion he's 1 to 2 years away from being a head coach. The teams you claim are more attractive than us won't have to "reach" for that kind of coach. 

We can, and we should. I think it's the best move we can make if we want to swing for the fences. If we don't, just go for the bunt single and get Carmichael Jr. 

You posted an article where DeFillippo is talked about as a hot candidate and someone who will get multiple interviews.

You can believe that the Bears can "steal" DeFillippo early, but that does not seem like reality based on what people around the NFL are saying.

The Bears are going to have to comepete for DeFillippo because as the article you posted said the NFL does not think he is a "year away."

Flip is one of the hot names. He is not a crafty, under the radar hire.

4 hours ago, G08 said:

This makes no sense. Is Trubisky going against NFL defenses? Are they throwing everything at him from a schematic standpoint to confuse him? 

The fact that he has a better rating than Carr/Wentz/Goff in their rookie seasons, in what you call "[not] a real NFL offense" should make him look even BETTER as a prospect. 

But that would go against the “Everything is **** at all times” narrative. ?‍♂️

25 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

Love the new picture of Ryan Pace as your profile pic

the Ryan pace hiding from the media story might be the nail in his coffin.  All week on radio has been talking about Pace's decisions and it feels like emery/tresman all over again.

The sad truth is the bears are probably going to be the last choice of head coaching candidates.  Ryan Pace is on the hot seat and needs to show major improvement in 2018 or he could be gone.  that means the next coach is looking at a 2 year job if things go bad.      

I don't think they will be the last option.

They have a Talented/Unknown QB which is better than what some teams can offer.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Gabriel didn't even mention Flip in his latest article discussing head coaching options. 

He was talking about him on the Score.

Flip is getting a ton of pub right now. He is going to be a hot name.

Perfect world the Bears can move quickly, grab Flip before he gets on the interview circuit and then lock up Pettine before Nagy does wherever he lands.

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

Gabriel didn't even mention Flip in his latest article discussing head coaching options. 

Extensive Coordinator experience is helpful but not an absolute requirement for a HC. Tomlin was a DC only 1 year, Doug Pederson was an OC (no play calling) 3 years and McVay just 3 years as an OC. They have to be leaders and those 3 are

I believe this tweet was in relation to the conversation.

Gabriel is a huge fan of what they have done in Philly.

Just now, WindyCity said:

I believe this tweet was in relation to the conversation.

Gabriel is a huge fan of what they have done in Philly.

Read his latest article. He lists a handful of coaches, Flip isn't one of them. 

Archived