UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

I really like what John Morton is doing with the Jets as well and their is a one year overlap between him and Pace in NO and Morton was rehired by the Saints after Pace was here.

They run a system similar to the Saints. Some air raid concepts out of 3 WR shotgun sets. But while running the NO type system he is doing so with next to no talent on offense and producing.

That tells me that he is a play calling advantage.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

You have to move quickly.

More so to land the top assistants. My guess is a DC like Pettineis going to be in demand with his HC experience and the Bears need to get those type of guys to support a young coach.

I thought HC candidates usually talked to their potential assistants to make sure that they in fact would be on board with joining them on a new team.

Pettine is out there, Pagano as well... I feel okay defensively.

Offensively... I don't care how it happens, I guess, but I want one head coach and one coordinator plucked from the Eagles and Rams. I don't love Greg Olson, but he has been working with Goff in McVay's offense... I think pairing him with DeFilippo would be solid and you can bring experience with Pettine or Pagano.

19 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Absolutely you need to move fast.  Read that story about the McVay hire and you'll see that they were putting the deal in place while he was on the way to another interview, and telling him so. 

For the criticism of Pace, you can't say he doesn't pull the trigger or act fast when he's certain on someone, so hoping this means he's got some tampering in place to get first interviews with people he likes. This is also when the issue of playoffs comes up... DeFillippo and Reich are going to be busy long after Fox gets fired, right?

Pace is a calculated MFer... I'm sure he has an idea of who he wants to interview. I believe the Eagles are in line for a first round bye, so we can interview DeFilippo and/or Reich that week. The Rams we will have to wait until if/when they get bounced.

Well, learn something every day: i didn't think you could interview during the bye. Thanks!

As a side note of positivity,  I have learned a ton from this forum and appreciate the thoughtfulness of the conversation around here. Also like the Brett Kollman videos, although I swear the second he says someone is a can't miss prospect they either suck or get injured. 

Guys, how many coaches do we know beyond reasonable doubt are going to get fired on Black Monday?

My guess:

John Fox (duh) - Bears

Marvin Lewis - Bengals (his contract is up and I don't think they bring him back)

Chuck Pagano - Colts

Dirk Koetter - Buccaneers (ehhhh... I'm not so sure he's gone, has anyone heard anything)

11 minutes ago, G08 said:

Guys, how many coaches do we know beyond reasonable doubt are going to get fired on Black Monday?

My guess:

John Fox (duh) - Bears

Marvin Lewis - Bengals (his contract is up and I don't think they bring him back)

Chuck Pagano - Colts

Dirk Koetter - Buccaneers (ehhhh... I'm not so sure he's gone, has anyone heard anything)

Giants would makes 5

Arians retires makes 6

Add in the at least 1 surprise guy and I think we hit 7.

Colts, Bengals and Giants are the ones that jump off as being better than the Bears job, maybe the Bucs depending on what they do at GM,

11 minutes ago, G08 said:

My guess:

John Fox (duh) - Bears

Chuck Pagano - Colts

Lol this made me laugh.  “Your honor...ehhh...he’s probably guilty.”

I think Vance could be one and done in Denver.  If the wheels really fall off over the next few weeks, maybe Adam Gase.  The Browns said Hue is safe for next year, but the Browns could Browns and reneg on that.  Then there will probably be one that comes totally out of left field.

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Giants would makes 5

Arians retires makes 6

Add in the at least 1 surprise guy and I think we hit 7.

Colts, Bengals and Giants are the ones that jump off as being better than the Bears job, maybe the Bucs depending on what they do at GM,

I don't think Arians is going anywhere unless he chooses to retire. Giants of course with Hack-a-Poo gone.

I think the Giants are getting McDaniels so that wipes them off my list.

The Bengals don't jump out at me as an awesome gig, but they have pieces there that are in stone (Dalton, Green etc).

The Colts look like a good option but nobody knows how injured Luck is and that defense isn't anything special.

The Bears are young on both sides of the ball and the new head coach will have his option of overhauling both the WR and CB positions.

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

I don't think Arians is going anywhere unless he chooses to retire. Giants of course with Hack-a-Poo gone.

I think the Giants are getting McDaniels so that wipes them off my list.

The Bengals don't jump out at me as an awesome gig, but they have pieces there that are in stone (Dalton, Green etc).

The Colts look like a good option but nobody knows how injured Luck is and that defense isn't anything special.

The Bears are young on both sides of the ball and the new head coach will have his option of overhauling both the WR and CB positions.

The Bengals have way more talent than the Bears at every single position.

The Colts offer more job security.

Giants is the Giants

I think that the Bears will Ben middle of the pack unless someone loves Trubisky.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Extensive Coordinator experience is helpful but not an absolute requirement for a HC. Tomlin was a DC only 1 year, Doug Pederson was an OC (no play calling) 3 years and McVay just 3 years as an OC. They have to be leaders and those 3 are

Yeah this really takes precedent. Needs to be the right guy, not just the best playcaller.

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

Extensive Coordinator experience is helpful but not an absolute requirement for a HC. Tomlin was a DC only 1 year, Doug Pederson was an OC (no play calling) 3 years and McVay just 3 years as an OC. They have to be leaders and those 3 are

In the end we just need a good coach.

The sloppiness and lack of discipline did John Fox in more than Xs and Os.

Archived