UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

The Weiderer and Campbell podcast was all about how attractive the Bears job is and I think they summed it up well.

It will all come down to how much the coach likes Mitch Trubisky.

The Bears will not be able to offer the job security of other jobs. They will not be able to offer a coach his input on GM. That will hurt them compared to other jobs.

So we will see what the Bears can do within those parameters. 

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The Weiderer and Campbell podcast was all about how attractive the Bears job is and I think they summed it up well.

It will all come down to how much the coach likes Mitch Trubisky.

The Bears will not be able to offer the job security of other jobs. They will not be able to offer a coach his input on GM. That will hurt them compared to other jobs.

So we will see what the Bears can do within those parameters. 

The thing is I can't see there being that many job openings...

New York Giants - Obviously.

Arizona Cardinals - I think they stick with Arians and get him a QB.

Cincinnati Bengals - I think they stick with Lewis for another year...he has enough good faith.

Indy Colts - I think this will be an opening.

Miami Dolphins - I think Gase did well enough year one to stick.

New York Jets - I think it would be a little stupid to get rid of Bowles right now especially if Morton stays there (which I reckon he will)

Tampa Bay Bucs - I think Koetter will be a gonner...but if he is I think it's for Gruden coming back to the NFL.

Oakland Raiders - this one could come out of left field but I doubt it.

So really along with us I think only the Giants and Colts are guaranteed.

I expect that the Bears will be squarely in the middle of the pack.

I think NYG and Indy will clearly be more desirable jobs. If Oakland opens that would be a more desirable job.

After that I think Trubisky offers more than the other teams. Who also will probably keep their GMs.

A guy name Toovey107 found/posted this video on another forum I frequent, regarding the potential coaching search/DeFilippo. Worth a watch, and I like how he breaks things down...   I was leaning towards Carmichael since I think our roster is quite comparable to the Saint's offensively, but DeFilippo is hard to ignore... given his success with Carr and Wentz, and the fact that IMO priority #1 has to be towards developing Mitch, with regard to our next HC.

36 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

There will be 6-7

Chicago, Indy, NYG, TB, Arizona, Cincy

Maybe: Denver, Oak, Clev, 

There could even be some surprises. Schefter said on ESPN 1000 that he thinks there will be 7.

I see no way Joseph is let go in Denver...they are a QB away from being an elite team again...Cleveland are in a position where they might as well roll with Jackson because no one better is going there and they need consistency more than anything...I think Tampa only pull the trigger if they can get Gruden...3 of the 5 are nailed on but Cinncy have been to the playoffs 5 of the last 7 seasons and Arians is loved in AZ.

The Giants job is arguably the most attractive and it sounds like McDaniels is their top choice. 

Indy is a bit of a mess because nobody really knows the health status of Andrew Luck. 

Chicago is the Charter Franchise if the NFL (which matters to some, although not all), has a franchise QB with a year's experience and a young, up and coming defense. The WRs on offense are about to be overhauled with whatever the next head coach wants and the defensive coordinator, ostensibly, may have free reign to run that show how he sees fit (I'm assuming we hire an offensive minded coach). 

I think it will be one of these three:

John DeFilippo 

Pat Shurmur 

Pete Carmichael Jr. 

23 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I see no way Joseph is let go in Denver...they are a QB away from being an elite team again...Cleveland are in a position where they might as well roll with Jackson because no one better is going there and they need consistency more than anything...I think Tampa only pull the trigger if they can get Gruden...3 of the 5 are nailed on but Cinncy have been to the playoffs 5 of the last 7 seasons and Arians is loved in AZ.

There will be 6-7 there is that many every single year.

There were rumours Vance Joseph was going to get fired last week.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

The Giants job is arguably the most attractive and it sounds like McDaniels is their top choice. 

Indy is a bit of a mess because nobody really knows the health status of Andrew Luck. 

Chicago is the Charter Franchise if the NFL (which matters to some, although not all), has a franchise QB with a year's experience and a young, up and coming defense. The WRs on offense are about to be overhauled with whatever the next head coach wants and the defensive coordinator, ostensibly, may have free reign to run that show how he sees fit (I'm assuming we hire an offensive minded coach). 

I think it will be one of these three:

John DeFilippo 

Pat Shurmur 

Pete Carmichael Jr. 

We don't have a franchise QB, we have a highly drafted QB.

That is why it really comes down to what the candidate thinks of Trubisky.

The Bears cannot offer the security that a new GM/coach hire would and as much as Indy could who is only 1 year into a rebuild. Without being able to offer more security Trubisky will be the centre of the pitch.

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

A smarter play would be to sign good players and not flush 50 million in guarantees.

Imagine how much better things would look is Sims, Wheaton and Cooper looked like they were at least starting calibre NFL players. Instead all 3 probably need to be replaced.

Pace tired to sign a few better players, they wanted to go elsewhere or get more money than he was willing to pay.

While people seem to talk like Fox is well respected, I think word is more likely to be that he is an idiot who might relate to the players, but not get wins without a great roster to carry him.

It is easy to do mock after mock on here, but selling the player on your franchise is way harder to do. Having Fox didn't help, having missed the playoffs for so many consecutive years doesn't help, and we were moving on from Jay while he was by far the best FA QB on the market (not exactly going to inspire a WR), etc. He took a few mid-tier swings and missed.

Bouye was a 5 year, $67.5 million dollar signing going to a great defense and what was expected to be a solid overall team. How much more would you have been willing to pay him to come here?  How much more do you think it would take to get him to come here over Jacksonville? 2-3 of those "good players" and you can't afford to field the team without a lot of vet minimums and serious structure juggling.

We all wanted better, sometimes it just isn't going to happen.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

There will be 6-7 there is that many every single year.

There were rumours Vance Joseph was going to get fired last week.

Well if they are stupid enough to fire Joseph then we should roll up with a ton of money for him to be our next DC because he is one of the best in football.

48 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You didn't need to spend top dollar to land better players than the losers Pace signed.

No one is comparing signing Cooper and Bouye.

False. Please tell me who you'd have signed then

CB

Butler was tendered by the Pats as a 1st round tender

Bouye made bank and went to a better situation

Johnson was franchise tagged

Logan Ryan made $10 mil per year and went to a much better situation than here

Gilmore went to NE, a MUCH MUCH better situation than here

Amukamara came here

Claiborne sucked until last year, and even then was injured again

Collins was busted for PEDs

Shields is nearing 30 and missed nearly the whole season with a cincussion

Revis played like crap in 2016

Kirkpatrick made bank as well

How about TE

Bennett? - No

Barnidge was a one year wonder and almost everyone knew it.

Cook sucked while having Rodgers throwing the ball to him. The hell would we have been able to get with Glennon passing to him?

Burton had a 2nd round tender

Doyle, Wilson, Green wanted to stay with Luck, Russell Wilson, and Big Ben - much better than looking at a giraffe throwing to you

Cameron retired

Davis clearly didn't fit the desired of young players.

Lets try WR

Pryor - I agree that this should have been a move, but he went to work with Cousins. Much better chance at a big year than with Glennon

Jeffery - Went to a better team, had a much better QB, and got his big deal.

Garcon - over 30, like Davis didn't fit the desires of Pace

Maclin - 29 and coming off a pretty mediocre season

Decker - Mariota or Glennon....

D Jackson - Work with Winston and Evans or Glennon and White. Hmmmm

Thielen  was a RFA

Britt had one year he acted like he gave a damn

Inman had a 2nd round tender

Go crawling back to Brandon Marshall? I doubt it

Patterson is a returner, not a receiver. Hester 2.0

Gabriel had a 2nd round tender

Stills has huge spurts of drops and still got over $8 mil a year

Woods got almost $40 mil

Floyd had red flags galore

Boldin retired

Who do you sign without throwing a lot of cash at then? I'm not seeing it.

Archived