UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I think Nagy and DeFillippo may have more options than we think. Nagy for sure looks like he will.

I don't doubt that these guys will have more than one interview opportunity, but that doesn't mean they will necessarily have multiple offers to pick from on where they want to coach.

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

Rank your potential 2018 Bears head coaches in order for me

I am not even going to bother ranking guys that will not happen. McDaniels, Shaw, Harbaugh and probably Patricia.

My list has changed a bit over the last couple of days

1. Matt Nagy

2. John DeFillippo

*Those are the 2 that I worry may have more than 1 option and that the Bears may not be able to land.

3. John Morton

-Great year of playing calls, wish he was a QB guy and we had more to work with. NO connection to Pace may have me moving him higher than I think.

4. Pat Shurmur

-I do not love retreads, but this is the 2nd crap QB that he is shredding defenses with.

5. Matt Lafleur

-I am dropping Lafleur till I learn more about his Atlanta exit that interview and Ledbetter tweet has me needing more information.

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

I don't doubt that these guys will have more than one interview opportunity, but that doesn't mean they will necessarily have multiple offers to pick from on where they want to coach.

I think the coaching pool is going to be a little shallower than previous years with just as many openings.

It is so tough to say as well because we have no idea how these guys command a room or the presence they have.

Our last 2 coaches were failures in far more than Xs and Os.

Maybe John Morton commands a room like a 5 star general, I have no idea.

So, really, it would be in our best interest for Trubisky to look like a solid, promising QB of the future.

For an offensive minded head coach, I think you can sell the following:

Pro Bowl RB - Jordan Howard (23 years old)

Electric COP back - Tarik Cohen (22 years old)

Potential Franchise QB - Mitchell Trubisky (23 years old)

Athletic TE with potential - Adam Shaheen (24 years old)

Ascending slot WR - Cameron Meredith (25 years old)

Just now, G08 said:

So, really, it would be in our best interest for Trubisky to look like a solid, promising QB of the future.

For an offensive minded head coach, I think you can sell the following:

Pro Bowl RB - Jordan Howard (23 years old)

Electric COP back - Tarik Cohen (22 years old)

Potential Franchise QB - Mitchell Trubisky (23 years old)

Athletic TE with potential - Adam Shaheen (24 years old)

Ascending slot WR - Cameron Meredith (25 years old)

Too bad John Fox is actively not allowing 2 of those things to be shown off.

The Pace connection wagon doesn't do a ton for me. Ranking the ones that have direct ties to him

1. John Morton, doing a lot with a little and has been hired by really good coaches multiple times

2. Pete Carmichael, can he command the room and run the team

3. Flopped in Oakland and I only want a defensive coach if he is a stud

It does suck that the only tape we are going to have of Trubisky is him running this conservative, predictable, archaic offense with little production.

If he had been given a chance to light it up this job would be much easier to sell to top guys.

Just now, G08 said:

I just don't see how Carmichael can command a room. He gives me Marc Trestman redux -- do not want.

I too would like to avoid Pace defaulting to someone he knows that will take the job.

Hard to see a hire like that turning into the coaching stud that the Bears need to be good and Pace needs to save his job.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

It does suck that the only tape we are going to have of Trubisky is him running this conservative, predictable, archaic offense with little production.

If he had been given a chance to light it up this job would be much easier to sell to top guys.

FWIW the right coach should be able to judge him on the tools not just from the tape this year but also the college tape and their own pre-draft evaluation (if they did one). 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

FWIW the right coach should be able to judge him on the tools not just from the tape this year but also the college tape and their own pre-draft evaluation (if they did one). 

It would be nice if in our sales pitch to a top coach they didn't have to look in the fine print of the film.

A couple big games would have been nice.

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It would be nice if in our sales pitch to a top coach they didn't have to look in the fine print of the film.

A couple big games would have been nice.

We're in a better position with selling Trubisky than any of the college QBs coming out. Why? Not only do we have Trubisky's college tapes, we have legit NFL tape for coaches to see what he can do, how he can read defenses and go through progressions, etc.

That's a huge plus in evaluations... unless they hate what they see. It's in our best interest for him to play with good mechanics and display some of his elite talents that got him drafted R1.2

Archived