UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

36 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I think the Amukamara and Wright signings were good ones tbh.  Wright isn't going to have a great statistical year but in out neutered offense no one would. He has been the best WR we have had since the offseason and if like him to be re-signed. 

Prince doesn't really get turnovers for us but in all but 1 or 2 games has been silently playing pretty damn well. 

Yeah the others were busts but their contract structures show they were gambles that he wanted to be able to cut ties with if they sucked. That was a smart play, especially if done since Pace knew the staff might be completely different in 2018. 

A smarter play would be to sign good players and not flush 50 million in guarantees.

Imagine how much better things would look is Sims, Wheaton and Cooper looked like they were at least starting calibre NFL players. Instead all 3 probably need to be replaced.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

A smarter play would be to sign good players and not flush 50 million in guarantees.

Imagine how much better things would look is Sims, Wheaton and Cooper looked like they were at least starting calibre NFL players. Instead all 3 probably need to be replaced.

Sims was signed mainly for his blocking and red zone proficiency.  He's been a disappointment for sure. No doubt about this one.

Wheaton was signed to somewhat offset the loss of Jeffery.  Bad move in hindsight, but this was before they knew Meredith and White would be lost for the year.

Cooper was signed to mainly push Fuller, and so far it has worked.  Overall, we can't be too upset with the play from the starting combo of Fuller and Amukamara this year.

All these deals can be terminated this off season without much cap impact.

6 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Sims was signed mainly for his blocking and red zone proficiency.  He's been a disappointment for sure. No doubt about this one.

Wheaton was signed to somewhat offset the loss of Jeffery.  Bad move in hindsight, but this was before they knew Meredith and White would be lost for the year.

Cooper was signed to mainly push Fuller, and so far it has worked.  Overall, we can't be too upset with the play from the starting combo of Fuller and Amukamara this year.

All these deals can be terminated this off season without much cap impact.

They were still bad evaluations and wasted money.

The goal is not to sign bad players who you can cut. The goal is to sign players who can play with you for 3-4 years and improve your team.

The free agency class if a reason the Bears are going 3-13.

30 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

They were still bad evaluations and wasted money.

The goal is not to sign bad players who you can cut. The goal is to sign players who can play with you for 3-4 years and improve your team.

The free agency class if a reason the Bears are going 3-13.

Sure that's the ultimate goal, but you don't want free agency to be your go to in terms of how you build your team.  It should be used to enhance the roster and create competition, not create the foundation of your roster.

It has been shown countless times that the best teams in this league do no rely on free agency to be good.  They draft well and build within before adding a few final pieces in FA.

Everyone wanted the Bears to draft and develop after the Angelo/Emery years and now that they are trying to do that they are getting ragged on for not signing enough top shelf free agents, who aren't exactly in abundance every off season.  Not to mention there's also 30 other teams competing for the services of these said free agents.  

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Sure that's the ultimate goal, but you don't want free agency to be your go to in terms of how you build your team.  It should be used to enhance the roster and create competition, not create the foundation of your roster.

It has been shown countless times that the best teams in this league do no rely on free agency to be good.  They draft well and build within before adding a few final pieces in FA.

Everyone wanted the Bears to draft and develop after the Angelo/Emery years and now that they are trying to do that they are getting ragged on for not signing enough top shelf free agents, who aren't exactly in abundance every off season.  Not to mention there's also 30 other teams competing for the services of these said free agents.  

Why can't you do both? We have plenty of cash to spend on top FAs. Signing Bouye as the only FA signing would have had a much better impact than all these bums.

11 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Why can't you do both? We have plenty of cash to spend on top FAs. Signing Bouye as the only FA signing would have had a much better impact than all these bums.

Bouye is a nice player but tell me how much better has he been than both Kyle Fuller and Prince Amukamara this season?  Does he alone make this team have more than 3 wins right now.  Not so sure...

Pace knows this is a slow rebuild through the draft... I don't think he was banking on any of these free agent busts to be studs (hence their contracts).

I think this year Pace will throw money at a WR position... why? Because he whiffed on Kevin White.

If he likes Fuller (dude seems like there's something off about him if you ask me...) then I expect him to be re-signed or Franchise Tagged at least a la Alshon Jeffery.

I expect EDGE rusher to be valued high in this draft as well as WR and CB. Depending upon how they feel about Massie, OT/RT might be important as well.

We're not that far off, IMO, guys.

59 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Bouye is a nice player but tell me how much better has he been than both Kyle Fuller and Prince Amukamara this season?  Does he alone make this team have more than 3 wins right now.  Not so sure...

He has 4 ints any of those could have been game changing plays. I'm not saying he would alone let us win another 3 games, but I would rather have 1 really good player than mediocre to bust FA class Pace has brought in this year. 

Demps is the only one I am willing to give a break to because he was injured the entire year. 

54 minutes ago, G08 said:

Pace knows this is a slow rebuild through the draft... I don't think he was banking on any of these free agent busts to be studs (hence their contracts).

I think this year Pace will throw money at a WR position... why? Because he whiffed on Kevin White.

If he likes Fuller (dude seems like there's something off about him if you ask me...) then I expect him to be re-signed or Franchise Tagged at least a la Alshon Jeffery.

I expect EDGE rusher to be valued high in this draft as well as WR and CB. Depending upon how they feel about Massie, OT/RT might be important as well.

The fact we've dominated the Panthers, Steelers, and Ravens makes me hopeful we aren't far off but I've seen this conversation before regarding potential vs reality. I really hope this is 50% coaching because that's a lot easier to solve than massive talent deficiencies. 

10 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

The fact we've dominated the Panthers, Steelers, Falcons, and Ravens makes me hopeful we aren't far off but I've seen this conversation before regarding potential vs reality. I really hope this is 50% coaching because that's a lot easier to solve than massive talent deficiencies. 

I think it's scheme, overall ideology of how to win games, and injuries that have derailed the team. At least two of those can be solved through staff change, if not all three.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

No, but in addition to 2-3 other good signings be puts them closer to those wins

And he is better than both Fuller and Prince.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

The next step is game changing talent, which we have next to none.

While we may not be far off the next step is by far the most difficult. Game changing talents are harder to find, they are more expensive to sign, they require more premium picks..

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

No one is saying it should be the foundation.

This years free agent class has provided next to nothing. They have not created competition or enhanced anything but the bench.

Last years was a really good class, I do not expect that every year, but you need to get more from 50 million in guarantees. They are not getting ragged on for not signing top shelf free agents, they are getting ragged on for signing BAD PLAYERS.

The defense is another edge rusher away from having a, dare I say, elite front 7.

I like our safeties, believe it or not.

Our corners? Huge question mark that I expect to be addressed.

Offensively... I love our QB, RBs, and some of our line. Is Sitton going to be healthy? How about Long? Are we upgrading Massie?

I'm curious what we do at TE as well... I feel like Massie isn't going anywhere but who knows.

The WR room needs to be detonated.

Archived