UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

I also think there is a 0% chance that McDaniels takes the Bears job.

a] he would be working with a GM he has no connection to.

b] the GM will have 36-37 loses on his resume and may get fired in 2018-2019. I think he will go somewhere where he and the GM are on the same timetable.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

b] the GM will have 36-37 loses on his resume and may get fired in 2018-2019. I think he will go somewhere where he and the GM are on the same timetable.

He will go somewhere where he can bring Nick Caserio as his GM. That won't be in Chicago.

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The fact that he has been incredibly successful at a major program with less talent than 3-4 other teams in his conference. The fact that he seems to be a real CEO /leader and the fact that he is an offensive coach that runs a pro style attack is even better.

His teams are always well prepared and disciplined as well.

In college. Leading men is a different ballgame than leading guys not old enough to buy their own beer. You can say all the same things about Saban before he got to Alabama and in the NFL he was a complete **** show. If you’re Pace are you pinning your career to a guy who hasn’t been in the NFL in a dozen years and even then was only a position coach? I personally think that’s unlikely. I think the hire is gonna be either Harbaugh (unlikely) or one of the we-hope-he’s-the-next-McVay guys. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

In college. Leading men is a different ballgame than leading guys not old enough to buy their own beer. You can say all the same things about Saban before he got to Alabama and in the NFL he was a complete **** show. If you’re Pace are you pinning your career to a guy who hasn’t been in the NFL in a dozen years and even then was only a position coach? I personally think that’s unlikely. I think the hire is gonna be either Harbaugh (unlikely) or one of the we-hope-he’s-the-next-McVay guys. 

They are all a major risk.

None of the others have head coaching experience. We have no idea if they can even command a college locker room.

Many of them have never even called plays.

Give me a guy with some experience running a team and program.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

They are all a major risk.

None of the others have head coaching experience. We have no idea if they can even command a college locker room.

Many of them have never even called plays.

Give me a guy with some experience running a team and program.

Agree wholeheartedly that they’re all a major risk, and we don’t know how whatever players are here next year will see any of their qualifications outside of a Harbaugh hire who’s actually a proven successful NFL coach. Everyone else is a projection. 

Whatever. Just get the right guy. For once. 

Here's where I'm at right now... it's one part what I want and another part what I think will happen:

HC: John DeFilippo
DC: Mike Pettine 
OC: Greg Olson

Doesn't look like a star-studded cast, but DeFilippo has the undying affection of Carson Wentz and Derek Carr. Carson Palmer spoke well of him as well. I think he has the demeanor and work ethic, and youth/relateability to win over a young roster. He'll be buddy-buddy with you one minute and if you're off ******* around he'll get up your *** the next minute. I like that in a coach... you need a little red ***.

Greg Olson... yes THAT Greg Olson that was here developing Rex Grossman in 2003. Not a sexy name, but he has called plays before, worked with Flip, and the real reason I want him is because he spent this season with the Rams and he can bring some concepts to Chicago.

Mike Pettine... him and Flip have a solid relationship, apparently, dating back to their time together on the Jets. When Pettine was HC of the Browns he brought in Flip to be his OC. He comes from that Rex Ryan defensive background, aggressive, blitzing 3-4 which I love and he has head coaching experience so Flip can lean on him from time to time.

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Point B makes the case for firing pace along with fox  

If  your GM is going to get fired after your first season as head coach of the bears. Who would want that job?  

i have really soured on pace in the last 24 hours. His 2017 FA evaluations is a major failure for him not only did he miss evaluate everyone he signed he failed to provide enough WRs for his QB. He can redeem himself in my eyes a little by not waiting to fire fox 

41 minutes ago, G08 said:

Here's where I'm at right now... it's one part what I want and another part what I think will happen:

HC: John DeFilippo
DC: Mike Pettine 
OC: Greg Olson

Doesn't look like a star-studded cast, but DeFilippo has the undying affection of Carson Wentz and Derek Carr. Carson Palmer spoke well of him as well. I think he has the demeanor and work ethic, and youth/relateability to win over a young roster. He'll be buddy-buddy with you one minute and if you're off ******* around he'll get up your *** the next minute. I like that in a coach... you need a little red ***.

Greg Olson... yes THAT Greg Olson that was here developing Rex Grossman in 2003. Not a sexy name, but he has called plays before, worked with Flip, and the real reason I want him is because he spent this season with the Rams and he can bring some concepts to Chicago.

Mike Pettine... him and Flip have a solid relationship, apparently, dating back to their time together on the Jets. When Pettine was HC of the Browns he brought in Flip to be his OC. He comes from that Rex Ryan defensive background, aggressive, blitzing 3-4 which I love and he has head coaching experience so Flip can lean on him from time to time.

I would be very happy with that staff. My last mock draft had that as the staff and I think it gives you experience and a QB focus.

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I would be very happy with that staff. My last mock draft had that as the staff and I think it gives you experience and a QB focus.

I like it very much too as of right now.

LaFleur is my other top guy along with DeFilippo.

I have kind of soured on Carmichael lately. Just don't know that he has that coaching "it" factor this team needs.

Nagy is still intriguing but the Chiefs struggles lately have me a bit concerned plus he's a bit more inexperienced than the top two guys.

Other than that there aren't alot of guys that get me excited.  Harbaugh would be good I guess but it's very unlikely.

30 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Holy crap I just saw that! I swear I wasn't trying to steal your idea and pawn it off as my own lol

I am really shocked at just how awful John Fox has been.

I never expected his teams to be unprepared and unprofessional.

But I keep telling myself not to swing the pendulum too far the other way. I am going to hire the anti-John Fox and you grab some young guy who also has no business being coach.

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am really shocked at just how awful John Fox has been.

I never expected his teams to be unprepared and unprofessional.

But I keep telling myself not to swing the pendulum too far the other way. I am going to hire the anti-John Fox and you grab some young guy who also has no business being coach.

Knowing how critical this next hire will be for Pace we will just have to trust that whoever he chooses will have to be the right guy for the job.  If it doesn't work out this next time around then oh well... time to start over from scratch again.

I have been looking at the Jets a little recently and what John Morton is doing with that offense is really impressive.

They are hanging points on people with 

QB: Josh McCown

RB: 100 year old Forte

WR: Robby Anderson

Jermaine Kearse, who was a trade throw in

And an OL I would consider mediocre at best.

12 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

Point B makes the case for firing pace along with fox  

If  your GM is going to get fired after your first season as head coach of the bears. Who would want that job?  

i have really soured on pace in the last 24 hours. His 2017 FA evaluations is a major failure for him not only did he miss evaluate everyone he signed he failed to provide enough WRs for his QB. He can redeem himself in my eyes a little by not waiting to fire fox 

I think the Amukamara and Wright signings were good ones tbh.  Wright isn't going to have a great statistical year but in out neutered offense no one would. He has been the best WR we have had since the offseason and if like him to be re-signed. 

Prince doesn't really get turnovers for us but in all but 1 or 2 games has been silently playing pretty damn well. 

Yeah the others were busts but their contract structures show they were gambles that he wanted to be able to cut ties with if they sucked. That was a smart play, especially if done since Pace knew the staff might be completely different in 2018. 

Archived