UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

John

De

Filippo

He may be the guy

Making the jump from QB coach to HC is a big jump, but the Bears may have to take the risk if the top guys have better offers.

HC; DeFillippo

OC: Someone with serious play calling experience

DC: Mike Pettine

I could live with that.

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He may be the guy

Making the jump from QB coach to HC is a big jump, but the Bears may have to take the risk if the top guys have better offers.

HC; DeFillippo

OC: Someone with serious play calling experience

DC: Mike Pettine

I could live with that.

It's a jump, but this is what I read about him that jumps out at me:

Very involved in getting to know all his players, on a personal level

Very detail oriented

Not afraid to get up someones rear-end if they need it; able to tell which players need an arm around them and which need a kick in the tail

Praised heavily and called a future head coach by Derek Carr, Carson Palmer (he said "you can just tell"), Greg Knapp, Brian Baldinger, etc.

He got the freaking Cleveland Browns to throw for 4,100+ yards and rush for 1,500+ yards. The BROWNS.

Carson Wentz loves him, says that he played a huge role in his growth and development.

He's a grinder... Mike Pettine said he was drawn to him with the Jets because often times while he was game planning late at night, he'd look across the building at the offensive side of the room and only see one light on.

My personal favorite: he told his wife that football comes first (if you're married, you know how crazy you have to be to say something like that to wifey xD)

He needs a proven, veteran DC to run that side of the ball and a strong offensive mind as well to help his transition.

9 minutes ago, G08 said:

It's a jump, but this is what I read about him that jumps out at me:

Very involved in getting to know all his players, on a personal level

Very detail oriented

Not afraid to get up someones rear-end if they need it; able to tell which players need an arm around them and which need a kick in the tail

Praised heavily and called a future head coach by Derek Carr, Carson Palmer (he said "you can just tell"), Greg Knapp, Brian Baldinger, etc.

He got the freaking Cleveland Browns to throw for 4,100+ yards and rush for 1,500+ yards. The BROWNS.

Carson Wentz loves him, says that he played a huge role in his growth and development.

He's a grinder... Mike Pettine said he was drawn to him with the Jets because often times while he was game planning late at night, he'd look across the building at the offensive side of the room and only see one light on.

My personal favorite: he told his wife that football comes first (if you're married, you know how crazy you have to be to say something like that to wifey xD)

He needs a proven, veteran DC to run that side of the ball and a strong offensive mind as well to help his transition.

He's my #1a guy right now. #1b is LaFleur, #2 Nagy.

I don't know anything about LaFleur other than Atlanta let him go because they didn't feel like he did a good job. 

Someone fill me in here. Dude has never called plays, right? I see that he was quality control under Kubiak and then QB coach under Kyle Shanahan. 

I guess if he could bring Gary Kubiak in to be our offensive coordinator I'd be all for it. 

32 minutes ago, G08 said:

I don't know anything about LaFleur other than Atlanta let him go because they didn't feel like he did a good job. 

Someone fill me in here. Dude has never called plays, right? I see that he was quality control under Kubiak and then QB coach under Kyle Shanahan. 

I guess if he could bring Gary Kubiak in to be our offensive coordinator I'd be all for it. 

I just read the article and tweet, that is a little concerning.

Tough call, I do not like that Atlanta let him leave, but at the same time a really good coach scooped him up.

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I just read the article and tweet, that is a little concerning.

Tough call, I do not like that Atlanta let him leave, but at the same time a really good coach scooped him up.

Do we know exactly what they didn't like about what LaFleur did?   I mean Matt Ryan was the MVP of the league last year and LaFleur was his QB coach and now that both he and Shanahan are gone he has dropped off quite a bit from that level.  Has to count for something no?

Don't want to overspeculate but usually when you bring a new offensive coordinator in like they did with Sark the guy will brings in some of his own coaches.  Weird they didn't just promote LaFleur instead.  Maybe they thought he wasn't ready to take over calling plays?

I just worry about guys who are going to have multiple options not picking the Bears.

Hoge and Jahns talk about this on their latest podcast. There are serious questions about Ryan Pace, whether it is job security or talent evaluation and guys with options my choose to work with a newer GM with more security or someone with less question marks like a Chris Ballard in Indy.

Maybe personal connections will play a bigger role than we think because it will be easier for Pace to answer those questions to someone who knows him well.

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I just worry about guys who are going to have multiple options not picking the Bears.

Hoge and Jahns talk about this on their latest podcast. There are serious questions about Ryan Pace, whether it is job security or talent evaluation and guys with options my choose to work with a newer GM with more security or someone with less question marks like a Chris Ballard in Indy.

Maybe personal connections will play a bigger role than we think because it will be easier for Pace to answer those questions to someone who knows him well.

Do you really feel that all of the first time head coaching candidates will have the necessary clout to interview Pace and demand answers while Pace interviews them?

I could see this being a topic of discussion with guys like Harbaugh, McDaniels, Patricia etc but not so much with the up and comers and second tier retreads .  Those guys will be eager to jump at most opportunities.

23 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Do you really feel that all of the first time head coaching candidates will have the necessary clout to interview Pace and demand answers while Pace interviews them?

I could see this being a topic of discussion with guys like Harbaugh, McDaniels, Patricia etc but not so much with the up and comers and second tier retreads .  Those guys will be eager to jump at most opportunities.

That is what I am saying.

I worry that we are going to be relegated to the 2nd tier in this coaching search.

Of course there are guys who will take the job, but sucks that the pool could be limited right out of the gate.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I worry that we are going to be relegated to the 2nd tier in this coaching search.

Of course there are guys who will take the job, but sucks that the pool could be limited right out of the gate.

Rank your potential 2018 Bears head coaches in order for me

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I know but I am saying that I don't think the current situation and Pace's track record as GM will affect  Bears not being able to get guys like DeFilippo, LaFleur and Nagy on board if they really want them.

These guys are the hot candidates right now.  The NFL is such a weird league that there's no telling what will happen next year and there may not be another opportunity like this for these guys again.

On the other hand guys like Harbaugh, McDaniels, Patricia will always be in the mix year in and year out just because of their track record and being tied to a certain pedigree of coaching, so they have more clout to demand where they go and what not.

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I know but I am saying that I don't think the current situation and Pace's track record as GM will affect  Bears not being able to get guys like DeFilippo, LaFleur and Nagy on board if they really want them.

These guys are the hot candidates right now.  The NFL is such a weird league that there's no telling what will happen next year and there may not be another opportunity like this for these guys again.

On the other hand guys like Harbaugh, McDaniels, Patricia will always be in the mix year in and year out just because of their track record and being tied to a certain pedigree of coaching, so they have more clout to demand where they go and what not.

I think Nagy and DeFillippo may have more options than we think. Nagy for sure looks like he will.

Archived