UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

I already stated this early

Carr, Claiborne would have been better signings than Cooper. Carr and Claiborne were coming off really strong seasons for the Cowboys.

Goodwin, Maclin, Ginn would have been better signings than Wheaton.

If you want to talk about previous seasons Wheaton was on IR all of last season.

The point wasn't to defend the picks. Most of them sucked, it is a fact.

The point is that Pace has to try and sell the players to come here. Either the situation has to be better or money has to be quite a bit better. Pace has also stated numerous times he wants youth through the team.  You named a few players at or past 30, Claiborne probably knew Amukamara would start over him and he might not beat Fuller for the other starting gig, and I also liked Goodwin but Hoyer passing to him was a better shot at him getting a deal than Glennon. That is doubly so when looking between Shannahan's offense vs Loggains under Fox.

And then Fox, I just don't get where the love comes from through the NFL for him. I think it is overstated and seeing DEN do so well once he was gone, then his two years here before this year, did irreparable damage to his image. It was clear that he had to have elite talent to have a good team, and just a good roster meant an ok team.

I hope Fox gets fired and we get a coach that really drives the offense. I believe that would help us significantly while trying to lure FAs here. Lafleur, Defilippo, Reich are the ones.

I get that Pace has to convince players to come here, but if he cannot do that then he really shouldn't be a GM.

Pace is responsible for the fact that Glennon was throwing passes to WRs, he is responsible for Loggains being the OC. If those 2 things kept WRs away that is his issue, he doenst get a pass for that.

11 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I get that Pace has to convince players to come here, but if he cannot do that then he really shouldn't be a GM.

Pace is responsible for the fact that Glennon was throwing passes to WRs, he is responsible for Loggains being the OC. If those 2 things kept WRs away that is his issue, he doenst get a pass for that.

How on Earth is he responsible for Loggains being the OC when he has zero say in Fox's coordinators? Come on Windy, this is getting ridiculous. It's Pace's fault that this top two WRs got injured for the year too, right?

3 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

You're both making good points honestly, but none of them matter right now. Nothing is going to change until end of season, and then the second most important decision of paces career comes up. If he got it right with Trubisky and gets it right on a coach. No one will care about his fa record.

I just don't get why people are so quick to point out his FA signings.  We can all admit that 2017 was not a very rewarding FA class but when you look at 2016's it was awesome.  Akiem Hicks, Danny Trevethan, Jerell Freeman and Mitch Unrein.  If you are going to bash him for this past year's class then you have to give him a lot of credit for the previous one.

8 minutes ago, G08 said:

How on Earth is he responsible for Loggains being the OC when he has zero say in Fox's coordinators? Come on Windy, this is getting ridiculous. It's Pace's fault that this top two WRs got injured for the year too, right?

You strongly suggest that he hire a competent OC, or you fire Fox.

GMs have a strong voice in coaching.

White getting hurt should have surprised no one, but it apparently surprised Pace.

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

I just don't get why people are so quick to point out his FA signings.  We can all admit that 2017 was not a very rewarding FA class but when you look at 2016's it was awesome.  Akiem Hicks, Danny Trevethan, Jerell Freeman and Mitch Unrein.  If you are going to bash him for this past year's class then you have to give him a lot of credit for the previous one.

Because it's easy to bag on his mistakes -- let's be honest, he had a HORRIBLE signing class last year. But, as I pointed out in another thread, all these dudes can be cut at the end of the season with a minimal impact on our salary cap next season.

I'm looking at the 2018 WR FAs right now and I'm kind of getting worried... I don't think Watkins gets out of St. Louis, Robinson is coming off a torn ACL and I think Pace is going to be extremely hesitant to go after him because of White's injury history AND Meredith coming off torn knee ligaments. Who's left after that who could be a potential #1? Moncrief? Matthews? 

Might have to open the floodgates for Davante Adams... I don't know if that's a good idea.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

You strongly suggest that he hire a competent OC, or you fire Fox.

GMs have a strong voice in coaching.

White getting hurt should have surprised no one, but it apparently surprised Pace.

Unless they don't... typically when a GM has final say over the 53 man roster, the head coach has final say over his coordinators (which he pretty much always does regardless... I can't think of a situation off the top of my head, save for Trestman, where the GM heavily influenced the coordinator decision... and that was because Tresty literally didn't know anyone in the NFL to bring in to run his defense).

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Because it's easy to bag on his mistakes -- let's be honest, he had a HORRIBLE signing class last year. But, as I pointed out in another thread, all these dudes can be cut at the end of the season with a minimal impact on our salary cap next season.

I'm looking at the 2018 WR FAs right now and I'm kind of getting worried... I don't think Watkins gets out of St. Louis, Robinson is coming off a torn ACL and I think Pace is going to be extremely hesitant to go after him because of White's injury history AND Meredith coming off torn knee ligaments. Who's left after that who could be a potential #1? Moncrief? Matthews? 

Might have to open the floodgates for Davante Adams... I don't know if that's a good idea.

Josh.....Josh Gordon.

23 minutes ago, G08 said:

Unless they don't... typically when a GM has final say over the 53 man roster, the head coach has final say over his coordinators (which he pretty much always does regardless... I can't think of a situation off the top of my head, save for Trestman, where the GM heavily influenced the coordinator decision... and that was because Tresty literally didn't know anyone in the NFL to bring in to run his defense).

They all have control over coaches because they control the head coaches employment.

"I am going to draft a QB at 2nd overall, hire a real OC, or I am going to fire you John."

Not so sure it works that way, Windy... Pace didn't trust Fox enough (because of how much he talks) to tell him that he wanted to draft Trubisky. That tells me all I need to know in that regard.

Back on topic... do we have to pounce FAST in order to get our guy? I know Pace is a methodical guy and I'm sure he'll have his preferred list of candidates in order. Suppose we want LaFleur, do we pounce first to interview him during the Rams' first round bye and then offer him the job if we want him? Or do we interview him, interview DeFilippo, and then go from there?

Absolutely you need to move fast.  Read that story about the McVay hire and you'll see that they were putting the deal in place while he was on the way to another interview, and telling him so. 

For the criticism of Pace, you can't say he doesn't pull the trigger or act fast when he's certain on someone, so hoping this means he's got some tampering in place to get first interviews with people he likes. This is also when the issue of playoffs comes up... DeFillippo and Reich are going to be busy long after Fox gets fired, right?

37 minutes ago, G08 said:

Not so sure it works that way, Windy... Pace didn't trust Fox enough (because of how much he talks) to tell him that he wanted to draft Trubisky. That tells me all I need to know in that regard.

Back on topic... do we have to pounce FAST in order to get our guy? I know Pace is a methodical guy and I'm sure he'll have his preferred list of candidates in order. Suppose we want LaFleur, do we pounce first to interview him during the Rams' first round bye and then offer him the job if we want him? Or do we interview him, interview DeFilippo, and then go from there?

You have to move quickly.

More so to land the top assistants. My guess is a DC like Pettineis going to be in demand with his HC experience and the Bears need to get those type of guys to support a young coach.

Archived