UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

6 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

To me, if he's not fired this offseason, any HC can be confident that ownership believes he's not the problem and that Pace is there for at least a few more seasons.  Look at when they fired both Emery and Trestman.  They can point to that and say, "we didn't have faith in Emery, so we got rid of him.  We have full faith in Ryan and that he can continue to improve the talent on this roster"

He for sure won't be fired this off season nor the following off season unless things go completely off the rails..  The organization is clearly committed to him and Pace is tied to Trubisky, so unless he becomes a bust, which we'll find out for sure in a couple years, then it's safe to say Pace will be here for a while.

15 minutes ago, G08 said:

I don't know... I look myself 10 years ago and I know how much I've grown and how much better of a manager I've become. His offense loves him, they say he brings energy and passion every day and that makes it exciting for them to come to practice. I like that and I think people can grow (especially from age 33 to 42).

That St. Louis offense was garbage, but looking at the year before and after, they ranked 26th and 25th. That offense is very complex and hard to learn, you're not going to master it in one year and you're definitely not going to do it if you don't have the right players (smart smart smart).

14 years under Belichick, arguably the greatest NFL head coach ever, and he has a 5 page bible from Belichick on how to be a coach/run a team. I'd bet on the upside of him over the upside of a Frank Reich or Pete Carmichael Jr, but that's just me.

Again, we have to do what is best for Mitch.

You also have to ask yourself why would McDaniels would even want to come here?  I mean he turned down the job with the the 49ers last year  where he would have had his own hand picked GM in Caserio joining him, before it ultimately ended up going to Kyle Shanahan, meaning he could have drafted Trubisky with the pick the 49ers traded to the Bears and been in a very similar scenario already a year ahead with Trubisky.

Why would he all of a sudden change his mind to come to the Bears this coming offseason, if Pace is really that interested in him?  I just don't see it adding up.

51 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

You also have to ask yourself why would McDaniels would even want to come here?  I mean he turned down the job with the the 49ers last year  where he would have had his own hand picked GM in Caserio joining him, before it ultimately ended up going to Kyle Shanahan, meaning he could have drafted Trubisky with the pick the 49ers traded to the Bears and been in a very similar scenario already a year ahead with Trubisky.

Why would he all of a sudden change his mind to come to the Bears this coming offseason, if Pace is really that interested in him?  I just don't see it adding up.

I've read that he withdrew his name from consideration once he realized they preferred Shanahan to him.

Why come here? Potential franchise QB in a football-crazy town... the Bears are iconic whether we have been playing well or not, etc.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

I've read that he withdrew his name from consideration once he realized they preferred Shanahan to him.

Why come here? Potential franchise QB in a football-crazy town... the Bears are iconic whether we have been playing well or not, etc.

That's not what I heard.  All indications were that he was their first choice and then he got cold feet so they turned to Shanny.

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

That's not what I heard.  All indications were that he was their first choice and then he got cold feet so they turned to Shanny.

I'm looking it up and one site says he pulled himself from consideration because he didn't want to uproot and move his family across the country.

Found this as well from Schefty:

Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter
FollowFollow @AdamSchefter
More

49ers are - and have been - honing in on hiring Falcons OC Kyle Shanahan as their HC, per sources.

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

Got a link to that?

SANTA CLARA 

The 49ers’ head-coaching search is down to two candidates after New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels withdrew from consideration Monday.

McDaniels, 40, has four young children and said it wasn’t the right time to entertain a possible move to the West Coast

“At this time, it’s just best for my family and myself to remain here in New England and focus on the playoffs and finish out the year however it turns out,” he said in a conference call Monday.

A source close to McDaniels who didn’t have authority to speak on the record confirmed that his family situation was the deciding factor.

“It had nothing to do with the Niners. They did everything they could,” the source said.

The 49ers intently pursued Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels and esteemed player personnel director Nick Caserio in January and nearly completed contracts with both highly-sought candidates. While much media attention revolved around a potential coupling of McDaniels and former NFL exec and current ESPN analyst Louis Riddick, sources said that never was a pairing, but McDaniels and Caserio very much were a potential package deal for the 49ers.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/49ers-nearly-landed-patriots-combo-of-coach-and-gm-during-offseason-search/

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

Dude keeps taking interviews so you know he's interested in a gig... NE isn't terribly far from Chicago, and he's from Ohio which isn't far from here either yatta yatta.

Who knows.

Ya you never know, but again it's a longshot. 

It seems like he and Caserio are a package deal as  HC/GM and Pace isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so like I said I don't see how a McDaniels scenario fits with a Ryan Pace led Bears.

Let's be realistic here.

48 minutes ago, G08 said:

the Bears are iconic whether we have been playing well or not, etc.

I think the luster has worn off the organization and what other NFL players and coaches see is decades of horrible ownership.  This is why the bears cant land big time free agents.  No one is coming here because of what Ditka did in 85. 

2 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

I think the luster has worn off the organization and what other NFL players and coaches see is decades of horrible ownership.  This is why the bears cant land big time free agents.  No one is coming here because of what Ditka did in 85. 

I mean Julius Peppers came here, etc. Players care about money... I think the real football fans/purists will view this franchise in a different light.

It's like the Cubs sucking for so long... we still landed FAs because they wanted to be that team that finally turned things around. Hell, we got Theo Epstein (#God) here because of it.

"Josh, I want to pair you with Mitchell Trubisky and do everything in my power to make sure you succeed and bring a title back to Chicago, the Charter Franchise of the NFL."

I don't care who you are, that has to give you goosebumps.

I stand by the reasoning that we don't really know why Pace whiffed on all the big name FA's last year. Money talks, but I think that Pace is the kind of guy that won't sign unless the numbers are right. Imagine he is a huge huge pain to be a car salesman for!

I think this year will be better, partly because Chicago probably WILL be more attractive (good defense, new QB) and because I think Pace will be more willing to pay now that they're (presumably) almost there in terms of completeness.  I think the same applies for coaches; you get great cap space, young team with potential, new QB...

Next year's going to be OK barring disasters (like actual disasters like Trubisky getting hit by a car, not the "disasters" that are this years games.

9 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I stand by the reasoning that we don't really know why Pace whiffed on all the big name FA's last year. Money talks, but I think that Pace is the kind of guy that won't sign unless the numbers are right. Imagine he is a huge huge pain to be a car salesman for!

I think this year will be better, partly because Chicago probably WILL be more attractive (good defense, new QB) and because I think Pace will be more willing to pay now that they're (presumably) almost there in terms of completeness.  I think the same applies for coaches; you get great cap space, young team with potential, new QB...

Next year's going to be OK barring disasters (like actual disasters like Trubisky getting hit by a car, not the "disasters" that are this years games.

We don't know every single little detail on why, but I'll just ask this question. If you're Ryan Pace and you know that John Fox isn't your future head coach then why spend big money and long term on guys that may not fit the next coach's system?  Wouldn't be very smart now would it?

Now people can say well then why didn't he just fire Fox last offseason, which is a legitimate question to ask, but then again we don't know exactly why.  It could have been because ownership didn't want to be stuck with paying  Fox for 2 more years while paying a new coach, or it could be because they didn't know at the time that they would be able to get Trubisky, who is clearly Pace's guy.

Archived