UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

15 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I wouldn't exactly describe John Fox as charismatic

Maybe not with the media but we've heard multiple times that his players love him.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but this is what Pace said he was looking for before Fox was hired, not afterwards.  IF we are to believe the reports that Fox was dumped on Pace by McCaskey and Accorsi then we can;t really blame Pace for saying this.

20 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I wouldn't exactly describe John Fox as charismatic

He's extremely charismatic... dude doesn't shut the hell up when he's away from the media. Players absolutely love him.

Aside from the obvious, another reason why Philly's coaches (Reich and DeFilippo) could very much be in play is because Pace is connected to  Eagles Vice President of PP Joe Douglas.  If any of you recall, Douglas worked as Pace's Director of College Scouting in his 1st year as GM with the Bears, and I'm sure Pace will lean on him heavily if and when it comes to looking at these guys as potential candidates to replace Fox.

"I firmly believe the reason I'm here is because of Josh. I owe a lot of my career to him," said receiver Danny Amendola, who first played under McDaniels in 2011 with the Rams. "I appreciate everything he does for this team. Communicating with guys sometimes isn't easy, and he does a great job of getting on the same page."

Added receiver Brandin Cooks, "He's a guy that pays attention to the game in such minute ways. He helps me out in ways, with OCs, that you really don't find. He's talking to me about route detail, or whatever it may be. And then there's his leadership, vocally, which has been awesome."

10 hours ago, G08 said:

I want absolutely nothing to do with the dumpster fire that is McDaniels.  I ask for the 1000th time, what positive thing has McDaniels done away form bb and tb?  Denver isnt his only other job than the Pats.  Until proven otherwise bb is the ultimate game master and oversees everything about every aspect of his team from game planning to gameday calls.  And tb executes everything.  Until i see something positive for Mcdumbiels that doesnt involve the pats, no damn thanks

50 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I want absolutely nothing to do with the dumpster fire that is McDaniels.  I ask for the 1000th time, what positive thing has McDaniels done away form bb and tb?  Denver isnt his only other job than the Pats.  Until proven otherwise bb is the ultimate game master and oversees everything about every aspect of his team from game planning to gameday calls.  And tb executes everything.  Until i see something positive for Mcdumbiels that doesnt involve the pats, no damn thanks

I think the biggest indication of BB being squarely in charge is the fact that regardless of who the Pats OC is there is never a drop off outside of injury...year in year out it's the same scheme with the same results...Brady just takes an OC along for the ride.

50 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I think the biggest indication of BB being squarely in charge is the fact that regardless of who the Pats OC is there is never a drop off outside of injury...year in year out it's the same scheme with the same results...Brady just takes an OC along for the ride.

Coach Power Rankings

1. David Shaw [HC Stanford]

Shaw would be my first choice of anyone involved. Offensive coach, great leader, has run the Stanford program without issue or drama, and he runs a pro style offense that translates to the NFL, which is always my concern with college coaches. Has NFL experience with the Oakland Raiders.

-Proven experience running a program
-Pro Style Offense
-Tomlin level confidence and swagger
-3-4 defense

2. Matt LaFelur [Rams OC]

If I cannot get a proven leader like David Shaw I am going to try and find my Sean McVay. Lafleur does not call plays and this would be a big jump for him, but he has a couple of things on his resume that I love.

-Has worked for years with Shannahan and McVay.
-QBs have career years with him, RG3, Everett Golson, Matt Ryan, Jared Goff.
-Highly respected in the NFL.
-I love what the Rams are doing on offense with a QB with less physical tools than Trubisky

3. John DeFillipo [Eagles QB Coach]

After the Eagles games multiple beat reporters from the Bears talked about how the Eagles were most afraid of losing DeFillippo and how much love he was getting for the Wentz explosion. There are also a number of interesting data points on his resume.

-Has developed 2 young franchise QBs [Wentz, Carr]
-Has 1 year of play calling experience in Cleveland
-When a QB coach gets this attention there is a reason

4. Matt Nagy [KC OC]

The Nagy star has faded a little for me as the Chiefs offense has regressed and become pretty bad this season. I also think that the Colts may be targeting him with the obvious KC connections between him and Ballard.

-Long time Big Red understudy
-Crazy diversity in their offense
-Can he develop a young QB? No concrete proof.

5. Josh McDaniels [Patriots OC]

I will be the first to admit that he is probably higher on every NFL teams list than this, but his disastrous run in Denver and the Bellichek coaching tree would scare me off. I also think that he will want more power and control than Pace wants his coach to have.

-His offense routinely spanks NFL defense even when Brady doesn't play
-Garoppolo and Brissett clearly improved under his guidance

I just don't understand how everyone can be pimping some guys that have never called plays and other guys that have called plays and failed miserably.

And then turn around a knock a guy who has 5 (!!!) Super Bowl rings, has the admiration of arguably the GOAT QB, and the respect of his offensive staff.

Yeah, he flamed out hard in Denver when he was 33 years old -- that was 7 years ago. He's spent 14 years under Belichick -- more than any other Belichick assistant -- and he made Garoppolo and Brissett look like GOOD NFL QBs while we can't seem to do that with a #2 overall pick.

You can't sit here and tell me he's not the best person available to develop our driven, impressionable QB. That is completely illogical.

10 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Coach Power Rankings

1. David Shaw [HC Stanford]

Shaw would be my first choice of anyone involved. Offensive coach, great leader, has run the Stanford program without issue or drama, and he runs a pro style offense that translates to the NFL, which is always my concern with college coaches. Has NFL experience with the Oakland Raiders.

-Proven experience running a program
-Pro Style Offense
-Tomlin level confidence and swagger
-3-4 defense

2. Matt LaFelur [Rams OC]

If I cannot get a proven leader like David Shaw I am going to try and find my Sean McVay. Lafleur does not call plays and this would be a big jump for him, but he has a couple of things on his resume that I love.

-Has worked for years with Shannahan and McVay.
-QBs have career years with him, RG3, Everett Golson, Matt Ryan, Jared Goff.
-Highly respected in the NFL.
-I love what the Rams are doing on offense with a QB with less physical tools than Trubisky

3. John DeFillipo [Eagles QB Coach]

After the Eagles games multiple beat reporters from the Bears talked about how the Eagles were most afraid of losing DeFillippo and how much love he was getting for the Wentz explosion. There are also a number of interesting data points on his resume.

-Has developed 2 young franchise QBs [Wentz, Carr]
-Has 1 year of play calling experience in Cleveland
-When a QB coach gets this attention there is a reason

4. Matt Nagy [KC OC]

The Nagy star has faded a little for me as the Chiefs offense has regressed and become pretty bad this season. I also think that the Colts may be targeting him with the obvious KC connections between him and Ballard.

-Long time Big Red understudy
-Crazy diversity in their offense
-Can he develop a young QB? No concrete proof.

5. Josh McDaniels [Patriots OC]

I will be the first to admit that he is probably higher on every NFL teams list than this, but his disastrous run in Denver and the Bellichek coaching tree would scare me off. I also think that he will want more power and control than Pace wants his coach to have.

-His offense routinely spanks NFL defense even when Brady doesn't play
-Garoppolo and Brissett clearly improved under his guidance

I pretty much agree with this list except I'd have Harbaugh and Reich ahead of Nagy and McDaniels.

Just now, G08 said:

I just don't understand how everyone can be pimping some guys that have never called plays and other guys that have called plays and failed miserably.

And then turn around a knock a guy who has 5 (!!!) Super Bowl rings, has the admiration of arguably the GOAT QB ever, and the respect of his offensive staff.

Yeah, he flamed out hard in Denver when he was 33 years old -- that was 7 years ago.

You can't sit here and tell me he's not the best person available to develop our driven, impressionable QB. That is completely illogical.

Being able to call plays under a Bill Belichick coached team with Tom Brady at QB is not as impressive as you make it sound out to be.  We are talking about the GOAT's at both coaching and QB here.

There's a reason why Belichick's disciples have never had much success outside of NE.

Besides that McDaniels to Chicago is a pipe dream and will not happen with Pace in charge here.  This is pretty obvious.

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

And then turn around a knock a guy who has 5 (!!!) Super Bowl rings, has the admiration of arguably the GOAT QB, and the respect of his offensive staff.

Yeah, he flamed out hard in Denver when he was 33 years old -- that was 7 years ago. He's spent 14 years under Belichick -- more than any other Belichick assistant -- and he made Garoppolo and Brissett look like GOOD NFL QBs while we can't seem to do that with a #2 overall pick.

1. His personality

2. Belichek Coaching Tree

3. Failure in Denver

4. Most of his production is with the greatest QB ever

1. By all accounts he has grown (read Pompei's piece on it)

2. None of them have spent 14 years with Belichick

3. 33 year old hot head that had no idea how to lead a group of men

4. Still developed Garoppolo (who was flipped for a very high 2nd round pick) and Brissett (traded for a former 1st round pick)

This is a no brainer to me.

It's all about Trubisky for me.

Josh McDaniels is a brilliant offensive mind, and he KNOWS how to develop QBs.

Trubisky is a humble, "yes sir", hard working kid who will soak up everything McDaniels will give him, EVEN IF McDaniels is a **** (which I don't think he will be)

To me? That's GOLD.

Defensively? Find a strong and proven DC like the Rams have done... that's the blueprint.

Archived