UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

We also need to move quickly and grab an experienced play calling OC.

That way Flip would have some support on gamedays and would not need to manage as much all the time.

Would love

HC: DeFillipo

OC: Bill Musgrave, has called plays, worked with Flip and was key in Derek Carr's development

DC: Mike Pettine, worked with Flip in Cleveland and can be handed the defense. Also more aggressive than fangio.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

He was talking about him on the Score.

Flip is getting a ton of pub right now. He is going to be a hot name.

Perfect world the Bears can move quickly, grab Flip before he gets on the interview circuit and then lock up Pettine before Nagy does wherever he lands.

Even if he is our 1a we would still need to satisfy the Rooney Rule before we can hire him. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Even if he is our 1a we would still need to satisfy the Rooney Rule before we can hire him. 

We could satisfy the Rooney rule 10 seconds after Fox is fired. Interview and minority assistant coach and it is done.

I think getting into the market first is a big deal. We see it with free agents all the time when guys "don't leave the building".

It is why the Browns jumped into the GM market to get in front of the Giants.

The Giants will have there GM in place super early as well.

10 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Are there any coaches who would really disappoint you?

Pete Carmichael

Dennis Allen

Pat Shurmur

Those would not have me energized.

Carmichael would excite me. He fits with the GM. Having your coach and GM lock step on the same page is a good thing.  He is also more than qualified for the job. He had coached one of the best offensives in the league for years and been part of that team for over a decade.  

35 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Are there any coaches who would really disappoint you?

Pete Carmichael

Dennis Allen

Pat Shurmur

Those would not have me energized.

We are in lock step on this Windy (finally lol). I’ve already had to deal with one ? coaching hire this month (looking at you, Herm Edwards). It’d be nice to actually be excited by one. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

We could satisfy the Rooney rule 10 seconds after Fox is fired. Interview and minority assistant coach and it is done.

I think getting into the market first is a big deal. We see it with free agents all the time when guys "don't leave the building".

It is why the Browns jumped into the GM market to get in front of the Giants.

The Giants will have there GM in place super early as well.

FWIW they could begin talking with Harbaugh right now since we wouldn’t have to wait for 1/1 for his season to end. Same with Shaw (who also obviously satisfies Rooney). Not sayin’. Just sayin’.

FWIW they could begin talking with Harbaugh right now since we wouldn’t have to wait for 1/1 for his season to end. Same with Shaw (who also obviously satisfies Rooney). Not sayin’. Just sayin’.

Can't with a coach in place.

We are in lock step on this Windy (finally lol). I’ve already had to deal with one ? coaching hire this month (looking at you, Herm Edwards). It’d be nice to actually be excited by one. 

2 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

Carmichael would excite me. He fits with the GM. Having your coach and GM lock step on the same page is a good thing.  He is also more than qualified for the job. He had coached one of the best offensives in the league for years and been part of that team for over a decade.  

Carmichael isn't calling plays this year and one of the Saints beat guys was asked on The Score and politely said he doesn't command a room.

We need some discipline and accountability 

You know. I've been mulling it for a few days. I'd say about a few weeks ago I would have been completely against firing Pace. Now I'd like to see him go. This last free agent class looking back on it just pissed me off. It was obviously an issue when it initially happened and predictably it's completely failed so far. The rebuild is behind schedule and I think this is a big reason why. 

37 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

You know. I've been mulling it for a few days. I'd say about a few weeks ago I would have been completely against firing Pace. Now I'd like to see him go. This last free agent class looking back on it just pissed me off. It was obviously an issue when it initially happened and predictably it's completely failed so far. The rebuild is behind schedule and I think this is a big reason why. 

I think you need to let him see this Trubisky thing through.

But I agree he gets way too much love and is not getting his fair share of abuse for this garbage.

I think Trubisky is the most hope we have had in a decade and firing Pace probably hurts him 

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think you need to let him see this Trubisky thing through.

But I agree he gets way too much love and is not getting his fair share of abuse for this garbage.

I think Trubisky is the most hope we have had in a decade and firing Pace probably hurts him 

I don't think he gets love so much as getting the benefit of the doubt where perhaps he shouldn’t. I think it’s fair regarding some of the offensive skill position FAs to at least consider that they may not have busted in a more modern or diverse offensive scheme. Perhaps not, but it’s something to consider. I believe Fox has been given the autonomy to hire and fire his own position coaches and coordinators just as most veteran HC get.

Were Markus Wheaton able to be Pittsburgh Markus Wheaton here how different would the conversation be? How much of that is how he’s deployed by Fox & Loggains vs. what he can or can’t do? We’ve seen him be productive in the past so it’s a fair question. We know Kendall Wright is an effective slot because when he’s been on the field he’s been our most consistent passing game asset, but for most of the season he’s gotten limited run. That’s not on Pace. I’d argue Wright, especially at the price, has been a good signing. Pace should also get some credit for the in-season move to get Inman for basically nothing once it was painfully clear that Wheaton was an airball. It’s not a home run by any means, but it’s a productive player for now who may have a role in the long run. 

Archived