UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

Just now, WindyCity said:

Pettine would be great.

-Runs 3-4

-Way more aggressive than Fangio

-HC experience

-Tons of play calling experience

I'm wondering why he's more or less out of the league, though. This year I believe he's a consultant for the Seahawks... what'd he do last year?

Pettine would be a good DC option, I would be happy with that choice.  He'd be a good coordinator, and likely will not yield more HC interest so it could help us keep scheme continuity for a while which I think was a huge reason for the sustained defensive success under Lovie Smith.

Just now, TankWilliams said:

Pettine would be a good DC option, I would be happy with that choice.  He'd be a good coordinator, and likely will not yield more HC interest so it could help us keep scheme continuity for a while which I think was a huge reason for the sustained defensive success under Lovie Smith.

Oh for sure... it's like anything in life, the longer you are doing something the better (hopefully) you will get at it.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

I'm wondering why he's more or less out of the league, though. This year I believe he's a consultant for the Seahawks... what'd he do last year?

From what I've heard, he's still being paid to be the browns head coach and there may have been a clause in his contract that once he took another coaching job he no longer earns that money.  Its a financial decision because I'm sure he made more to not be a coach (at a former HC salary since the contracts are guaranteed), than he would be to be a DC elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

From what I've heard, he's still being paid to be the browns head coach and there may have been a clause in his contract that once he took another coaching job he no longer earns that money.  Its a financial decision because I'm sure he made more to not be a coach (at a former HC salary since the contracts are guaranteed), than he would be to be a DC elsewhere.

Solid point, he signed a 5 year deal in 2014 so that dude is getting paper through the 2018-2019 season.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Solid point, he signed a 5 year deal in 2014 so that dude is getting paper through the 2018-2019 season.

I am pretty sure it is a financial decision. He is getting huge money from the Browns to stay off the sideline.

My guess is he has reached the point where he doesn't want to be out any longer and he is willing to lose out on the offsets.

4 hours ago, G08 said:

I want to believe that, but I vividly recall that sweaty asshat arrogantly stating that Pace reports to him.

"Ryan is going to oversee the entire football operation," team president Ted Phillips said as he introduced Pace.

OK, that was fine, but Phillips then added, "He is going to report directly to me, the head coach will report directly to Ryan."

Isn’t the first part of the quote the one that’s most relevant though? Pace has oversight over the entire football operation. It doesn’t matter whether he reports to Phillips, McCaskey or you and me - football decisions are entirely his, which also means entirely NOT those of Phillips or McCaskey. You can question Pace’s bosses ability to hire the right guy to do Pace’s job but they’ve made it very clear that they’re hands off with the football stuff once they pick their guy. And it’s not as though Pace was some crazy off the radar choice - he was highly regarded when he was brought in. 

48 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Isn’t the first part of the quote the one that’s most relevant though? Pace has oversight over the entire football operation. It doesn’t matter whether he reports to Phillips, McCaskey or you and me - football decisions are entirely his, which also means entirely NOT those of Phillips or McCaskey. You can question Pace’s bosses ability to hire the right guy to do Pace’s job but they’ve made it very clear that they’re hands off with the football stuff once they pick their guy. And it’s not as though Pace was some crazy off the radar choice - he was highly regarded when he was brought in. 

It is... but I still have to sit and wonder why that greasy SOB felt the need to say Pace reports to him. Ego? Does he actually have a say, somewhat, in these things? Michael Lombardi intimated as much during one of his hits on Spiegel and Parkins. Just makes me wonder.

3 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

It wasn't just him though, last time he brought in Ernie Accorsi who is a very respected former executive.  Theres more incompetence at play than George.

Yeah, guys do remember that at the time MOST viewed Fox as favorable, safe hire. The general expectation was that the team would get better quickishly, but maybe be limited by his playcalling style. It was half right!  I was down for it at the time.  

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I have a new game the rules are that you build the best coaching staff you can around a head coach candidate. I encourage you to look for possible connections and reasons for the coaches to work together.

Coaches who are fired and hit the market

Chicago [Ha Ha]

Houston

Tampa Bay

NYG

Indianapolis

Cincinnati 

Oakland-Not Del Rio, but everyone else

Denver-Offensive staff

You can also use any coaches that are on the street right now [McCoy, Norv, McAdoo]

You must fill the positions,

OC:

QB:

DC:

Special Teams:

I think maybe put this in a thread of its own...should make for an interesting take over the next few weeks.

Archived