UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

If you had to out money down on ignore today, who do you think is the Bears HC?

I am going Defilippo

In addition to the offense/Qb focus I think he has the energy and charisma to be the “face of the franchise” that Fox failed so miserably to be.

I am going to spread my money evenly across the following guys getting the job:

Nagy, DeFilippo or Shurmur.

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

It’s so ridiculous after this was a frequent occurrence that Pace got slaughtered for trading a few mid-round picks to make sure this didn’t happen with Trubisky, and really to a lesser extent with Floyd. 

Hey I'm right there with you. Plus a franchise QB is worth several firsts, let alone a first and a few midround picks, which are pretty damn easy to recoup.

On the last forum I mentioned this and how a QB like Russell Wilson is worth 3-4 firsts to me (or something similar) as people were going back and forth on if he was a top tier QB or just above average.

The mid round picks are minimal, you can't assume you just missed Montana, TO, or Justin Tuck in the 3rd you missed out on. Hell it may have just been Grasu you gave up.

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

If you had to out money down on ignore today, who do you think is the Bears HC?

I am going Defilippo

In addition to the offense/Qb focus I think he has the energy and charisma to be the “face of the franchise” that Fox failed so miserably to be.

I'm going to put my money on

DeFilippo (50%) ---> Reich (25%) ----> Lafleur (15%) -----> Nagy (10%)

My money says its going to be someone unexpected... and I'd put the odds at something like:

Toub (our former ST coach)20%, Shaw (Stanford) 10%, or like..... some random dude that leaves the media scrambling but ultimately actually makes sense in a Pace kind of way 70%  (an example of such a person would be "Steve Wilks" DC-Carolina... who sports mockery just did an article about).... Basically just one of those kind of guys who's probably getting overlooked by other orgs....Just looking at Pace's draft history, his record is filled with lesser known kind of selections where he tries to be the smartest guy in the room.... In some cases it's worked out (Shaheen and Cohen this year for example)... and in others less so (Kevin White)

5 minutes ago, Epyon said:

My money says its going to be someone unexpected... and I'd put the odds at something like:

Toub (our former ST coach)20%, Shaw (Stanford) 10%, or like..... some random dude that leaves the media scrambling but ultimately actually makes sense in a Pace kind of way 70%  (an example of such a person would be "Steve Wilks" DC-Carolina... who sports mockery just did an article about).... Basically just one of those kind of guys who's probably getting overlooked by other orgs....Just looking at Pace's draft history, his record is filled with lesser known kind of selections where he tries to be the smartest guy in the room.... In some cases it's worked out (Shaheen and Cohen this year for example)... and in others less so (Kevin White)

Umm Kevin White wasnt even close to a lesser known smartest guy in the room pick he was the consensus #2 wr in the draft.  People keep trying to label Pace as with this crap.  Hes had plenty of big school picks to go with the small school guys.

18 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Umm Kevin White wasnt even close to a lesser known smartest guy in the room pick he was the consensus #2 wr in the draft.  People keep trying to label Pace as with this crap.  Hes had plenty of big school picks to go with the small school guys.

I disagree... White was a freak athlete who sucked at running routes..... which is one of the most important things a receiver needs to know how to do... and there was an obvious, no brainer pick in Vic Beasley sitting there who was a freak athlete and actually really talented at a his position.... but Pace tried to be cute and outsmart the rest of the universe with White.  Hell, even discounting Beasley, Bud Dupree was an generational level athlete who was roughly as talented at OLB/DE as White was at WR and went 14 picks later.... White imo was definitely Pace trying to outsmart the rest of the world.

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Fox was such a PR and media disaster, that is going to factor in.

The irony about that, is that was part of the reason he was hired in the first place, wasn't it? Having to do like a mock-press conference as part of the interview process.

This is easily a case if results bias as there was actual debate as to whether he or cooper was the top wr in the draft.  Again Pace wasnt trying to outsmart the rest of the world.  He made a pick the pick busted.  That doesnt mean that the pick was a smartest guy in the room pick.  A smartest guy in the room pick is a pick where a player no one ever expected gets drafted to a team no one ever expected.  Ive yet to see any example of that in any Pace draft.

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

For what it's worth, White was a pretty hot prospect, every mock draft had him in the top 10, and a majority had him to the Bears. 

Made sense at the time, but didn't work out due to injury.  I don't hold it too highly against Pace. I do however hold his evaluation of Glennon, and the decision on Ray McDonald (you all remember that?!) against him .  Overall, for a GM with such a crap record, can I still think he's done well

Archived