UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

Among the three offensive people mentioned, I would definitely rate them (from an outside point of view, of course):

1. Defilippo

2. Shurmur 

3. McDaniels 

While I'm less ecstatic about flip than a lot of folks here, I do think he's definitely a talented coach, I'm just leary of his lack of experience.  Shurmur has done great things, but also has had some years where I recall fans of his team were calling for his firing.  McDaniels may have changed his attitude and fixed the reasons for his past failures, but honestly I would much rather let another team figure that out

So at this point, we're at:

DeFilippo
McDaniels
Shurmur
Wilks

If I'm understanding the rules correctly, the first three guys have to be interview this week (assuming they accept the invites), and Wilks can't be interviewed until after the Wild Card round.

So other guys who may potentially be targeted but would fall into that "next week" group would be:

Toub
Nagy
Carmichael
LaFleur

Also, casual fans are all about Dave Toub. I've seen his name come up on Twitter a bunch, and I had The Score on for only ten minutes this evening and all of the callers and both of the hosts were talking about how he's the top candidate. After Pace's presser today, I don't know how accurate that is.

11 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

Also, casual fans are all about Dave Toub. I've seen his name come up on Twitter a bunch, and I had The Score on for only ten minutes this evening and all of the callers and both of the hosts were talking about how he's the top candidate. After Pace's presser today, I don't know how accurate that is.

Depends on whether you believe what he said or what he said without saying it. What he SAID was that they just want the best coach. What he said without saying it is that they are pinning EVERYTHING to Mitch being great, which implies a relative certainty that the next coach will be an offensive guy. Could end up being the same guy, of course. 

Peter King (Twitter) notes that two NFL teams had interest in Jim Harbaugh, but he won’t be leaving Michigan.

This aligns with a Hub Arkush radio spot back in November, where he said something along the lines of Michigan being Harbaugh’s dream job.

I’m sure I’ll be in the minority but I want nothing to do with Taub we aren’t in a position to take that sort of risk and unless you have experience coaching the qb position no need to apply. 

26 minutes ago, Pdogg said:

I’m sure I’ll be in the minority but I want nothing to do with Taub we aren’t in a position to take that sort of risk and unless you have experience coaching the qb position no need to apply. 

I'm in the same boat. I want Toub to get his chances, but I want a system to develop Truin here. 

Interesting point made on NFL.com where they were looking at the perfect fits for each franchise...listed both Wilkes and DeFilippo for us with Wilkes as HC then DeFilippo as OC stating that he is a FA as soon as the Eagles are eliminated...what if they are getting the jump on making a run at him to be OC?...personally I don't like it as he could be one and some like Gase but it would be an interesting win now strategy from Pace.

18 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Interesting point made on NFL.com where they were looking at the perfect fits for each franchise...listed both Wilkes and DeFilippo for us with Wilkes as HC then DeFilippo as OC stating that he is a FA as soon as the Eagles are eliminated...what if they are getting the jump on making a run at him to be OC?...personally I don't like it as he could be one and some like Gase but it would be an interesting win now strategy from Pace.

What is the story with Wilkes? There hasn’t been any hype on him to this point.

1 minute ago, chisoxguy7 said:

What is the story with Wilkes? There hasn’t been any hype on him to this point.

He was one of the best position coaches in the NFL for a long term and they slapped on the assistant HC tag to stop guys coming in for him as a coordinator...very energetic and aggressive...real leader of men and comes with a proven defensive scheme...if we didn't have a 23 year old QB he would be high on my list but it has to be all about the QB spot and finding someone to develop Trubisky long term.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't care for it. That just means Tru learns another system this year, then likely a new one in 2019. Flip, Nagy, Shurmur, McDaniels, etc, I just want whoever can bring intelligence, adaptability, and consistency to the offense while developing Trubisky.

If we had a pretty finished vet QB though, I would love Wilks. I hope he stays out of the NFC North.

Great stuff from Michael Lombardi in the 11am hour on Spiegel and Parkins. Some noteworthy items:

Michael noted that Ted Phillips is the Team President, so of course he will be involved in some fashion because of his title.

He thinks the Bears job is an easier job than the Giants because of the culture and the Lions because they finished 9-7.

He said McDaniels probably would like a situation similar to Shanahan in SF. He said Shanahan runs the show and Lynch works for him.

There was a lot of talk about message, how the message should be consistent from both the GM and head coach, and how the head coach should be the spokesperson with the GM in the background.

Check out this segment once it’s posted. It was great.

17 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

Great stuff from Michael Lombardi in the 11am hour on Spiegel and Parkins. Some noteworthy items:

Michael noted that Ted Phillips is the Team President, so of course he will be involved in some fashion because of his title.

He thinks the Bears job is an easier job than the Giants because of the culture and the Lions because they finished 9-7.

He said McDaniels probably would like a situation similar to Shanahan in SF. He said Shanahan runs the show and Lynch works for him.

There was a lot of talk about message, how the message should be consistent from both the GM and head coach, and how the head coach should be the spokesperson with the GM in the background.

Check out this segment once it’s posted. It was great.

Just was loaded about 2 minutes ago, thanks I'm loading it now.  Thanks. I don't really know what hosts are worthwile so I rarely listen to any of them.

Link to segment -

https://omny.fm/shows/the-spiegel-and-parkins-show-on-670-the-score/michael-lombardi-on-the-bears-search-for-a-new-hea

Rap is reporting that James Bettcher is getting an interview for the HC gig in AZ...well deserved but as some have pointed out it may not be the most attractive gig right now with Palmer & Fitz looking like they will retire...Johnson coming back from an injury and an agining win now roster might work well for us if we really do what DeFilippo who is apparently highly rated by AZ GM Steve Kirm. 

Archived