Paul Kuharsky and Nike Ryan Flaherty on Mariota

Farsendor1

I'm going to guess that Marcus cleared this with the coaches before going through with it. He just doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that would change up his playing weight without consulting the team first.

With that said, I don't know how much of a difference this makes. I can't imagine 10 pounds lighter would have made him quick enough to avoid the hit that broke his leg last year. I'm not against it, I doubt that being 215 instead of 222-225 makes him significantly more likely to get injured when he gets hit, I just don't think it ends up being a big deal

2 hours ago, titans0021 said:

I'm going to guess that Marcus cleared this with the coaches before going through with it. He just doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that would change up his playing weight without consulting the team first.

With that said, I don't know how much of a difference this makes. I can't imagine 10 pounds lighter would have made him quick enough to avoid the hit that broke his leg last year. I'm not against it, I doubt that being 215 instead of 222-225 makes him significantly more likely to get injured when he gets hit, I just don't think it ends up being a big deal

You a more than likely right on Mariota talking to the coach staff. To be honest that thought didn't even cross my mind when making this topic. Actually think him being at a higher weight would help protect his blind spots a bit better. 

I don't think playing light is the right choice but i'm not a professional in anything so pretty much an empty opinion. 

7 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

I have no idea what to have for an opinion. Initial thought him playing lighter means more injuries and being banged up. He claims it helps him move faster to avoid hits so who knows. Even if he bulked up just a little I still think he would be fine

I mean, I just don't think 10 pounds over his entire body prevents a leg from breaking. But as I said before, I really don't think this is too significant either way.

4 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I mean, I just don't think 10 pounds over his entire body prevents a leg from breaking. But as I said before, I really don't think this is too significant either way.

Ya I kind of feel the same way if he was 10 pounds heavier last year he still breaks a leg and 10 pounds lighter same still happens I just feel begin too light means he'll get banged up more but it's football he'll get banged up no matter what he just needs to do his best not to take the big hit anyway no matter what weight he plays at.

Im dying to see him play though im more worried about the leg slowing him down I don't know if broken legs play a factor with speed or not but if it does I'm just throwing it out there maybe Mariota wants to be lighter to mentally feel faster I don't know I never broke a leg so I really don't know if a broken leg makes you slower at all but he's also bionic now with a steel rod so maybe he'll run like Ray from Archer now ?

McNair was a stocky dude and got injury after injury. Vince Young was prototypical NFL size at 6'5 230-240 pounds, got hurt. Cam Newton is 6'5 250, gets hurt. Ben is 6'5 260, gets hurt. Locker was a big dude, injury after injury.

Getting hurt has nothing to do with your size or muscles. It's 90% luck and 10% conditioning(and conditioning only prevents the more minor injuries most of the time. Breaking your leg has nothing to do with how big you are).

Archived