Stand-up + sketch comedy thread

thrILL!

1 hour ago, Tetsujin said:

I stumbled upon all these Daily Show clips from ~20 years ago, with Steve Carell and Colbert. That was some of the best written stuff ever, IMO.

I remember watching them live back in the day. Definitely the best era of that show.

2 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

I stumbled upon all these Daily Show clips from ~20 years ago, with Steve Carell and Colbert. That was some of the best written stuff ever, IMO.

MV5BMWJkMmFjNGItZDhkYi00MTNkLTkyNmUtYzg0

This is a great comedy documentary on Hulu if you haven’t seen it. They go in depth with both Steves and how this show was their big break following Second City.  

3 hours ago, opeth0500 said:

Doug Stanhope will always be my favorite. Norm Macdonald, Dave Attell, Bill Burr, Anthony Jeselnik and older Jim Jefferies are all hilarious. 

Can't stand Jeselnik. He doesn't actually make anyone laugh, just groan and complain.

On 7/19/2022 at 9:05 PM, Tetsujin said:

This sketch group that SNL started featuring is pretty damn good 

Oh these guys are great. Their best stuff though was before they got on SNL. The Shailene Woodley 2k video is so, so good. And Martin Herlihy's colorblind glasses video is one of my personal favorites.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Oh these guys are great. Their best stuff though was before they got on SNL. The Shailene Woodley 2k video is so, so good. And Martin Herlihy's colorblind glasses video is one of my personal favorites.

Those are pretty solid, I also liked this skit they made before SNL, it is really good.  Is kind of odd they could not crank out more quality on SNL but was just their first year.  

31 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Can't stand Jeselnik. He doesn't actually make anyone laugh, just groan and complain.

Some like him some hate him, I love his persona and he is really unique, I am a fan of his comedy.  His dry delivery is great!  Want to say a guy that sucks it is Dane Cook.  

17 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Some like him some hate him, I love his persona and he is really unique, I am a fan of his comedy.  His dry delivery is great!  Want to say a guy that sucks it is Dane Cook.  

Dane Cook sucks, and I think he became like a really online guy that posts middle age women inspirational quotes on social media after he started dating a 17 year old. Weird guy.

And if we are talking comedians who suck, Jim Breuer may have just put out the worst stand up special of all-time. He's essentially doing Tim Heidecker's thing, but sincerely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bItcoUb5xsw

People pretending to like this or feeling like they have to like it because they agree/align with him politically are so, so funny.

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Dane Cook sucks, and I think he became like a really online guy that posts middle age women inspirational quotes on social media after he started dating a 17 year old. Weird guy.

And if we are talking comedians who suck, Jim Breuer may have just put out the worst stand up special of all-time. He's essentially doing Tim Heidecker's thing, but sincerely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bItcoUb5xsw

People pretending to like this or feeling like they have to like it because they agree/align with him politically are so, so funny.

I agree Jim Breuer is doing comedy targeted to a specific political group, just like what Kid Rock is doing now.  Pander to the Trump base and gain viewers and an audience.  

Fact is Jim Breuer sucked on SNL and honestly has never been funny and never will be.  But if he makes fun of things you think are fake then sure someone with those views might like him I guess...just like they might like the My Pillow guy because he has artwork of Jesus behind him, pretends to be religious yet allies with Trump and is flying a plane of cyber guys down to Arizona today to prove the election was rigged.  

Bill Burr is a funny dude and is killing it with almost anything he does.  He and Dave can almost do nothing wrong in terms of their standup, they are killing it!

I hold steadfast that comedy should be 1 thing- funny. Don't try to make me think or lecture me or make the same jokes me and my friends used to make in middle school, or go for cheers or groans over laughter.

That's partly why I really love just silly comedy. This is probably the pinnacle, and most prime example:

So, so good.