Stand-up + sketch comedy thread

thrILL!

It's about time this forum had a thread dedicated to comedy!  

Whether standup or sketch, what are you guys watching?

Who are some of your favorite standup comedians?

Who have you seen live and how was the show?

What are some of your favorite bits?

Who are some up and coming comedians you really like?

What sketch comedy shows are you into?

Anybody dabble in either themselves IRL?

Post some links!

Edited by thrILL!

Over the past few years, I saw the late Norm MacDonald and the ridiculously funny Kevin Nealon. I think John Mulaney is probably the best standup working over the past 6-10 years.

I religiously watched SNL and MadTV back in the day. What really stood out to me was how much better the women were on MadTV compared to SNL.

I think Conan’s shows had some of the best bits I’ve seen.

• Like 2

Emo Phillips is by far the funniest stand up I have seen in person. He was electric and so original.. He is on tour with Weird Al right now, hoping to make the show in Louisville next month.

Still extremely bummed I never got to see Gilbert..

22 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

Over the past few years, I saw the late Norm MacDonald and the ridiculously funny Kevin Nealon. I think John Mulaney is probably the best standup working over the past 6-10 years.

I religiously watched SNL and MadTV back in the day. What really stood out to me was how much better the women were on MadTV compared to SNL.

I think Conan’s shows had some of the best bits I’ve seen.

You and I seemingly have eerily similar comedy sensibilities.

MadTV was absolutely amazing for several years and extremely underrated.   It was notably better than SNL for several years, and yes.....Mo Collins, Debra Wilson, Stephanie Weir etc....were so incredibly funny.   Michael McDonald, Will Sasso, Aries Spears, Bobby Lee, Key and Peele, etc....were all legends on that show too.  I still watch old clips on YouTube.

And Conan was my favorite too.   Miss him so much.   Late Night is utter trash now.    I miss his 90s and 2000s stuff so much....

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 5:26 PM, JohnChimpo said:

I used to love standup, but I haven’t been into it much in the last decade or so. Been thinking about watching some Netflix specials. Recommendations?

Dave Chappelle has several special on Netflix all of which are elite.

Bill Burr has 3-4 iirc including the newest one that dropped this week.  The covid jokes in it are a bit overdone at this point but his WNBA bit is freaking hilarious!

Jerry Seinfeld's 24 Hours to Kill  is fantastic.

Tom Segura has several really good ones.

Christina P has 2 specials and she's as good as any guy.

Sebastian Maniscalco has a few and he's a juggernaut lately.

Aziz Ansari has some really good ones.

Basically... Netflix has a ton of them lol.

Edited by thrILL!
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnChimpo said:

Hilarious. Never heard of him before.

He was on a huge podcast until recently (the name of which actually breaks forum rules so I can't even say it lol). He left recently to do this full time, and he's gotten really good. His laugh is the best.

14 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

This sketch group that SNL started featuring is pretty damn good 

Those guys are pretty good, this was the best skit they did all season though by far I feel.  They seemed to run out of ideas later in the year which is sad for what a 2 minute thing.  Impressive though they basically got the job on SNL based on the videos they have previously made....will see if they can keep improving and get some more material.

These are some of the best SNL skits that do not get much run.  

Chris Farley is freaking awesome!

Freaking hilarious skit, too bad Ryan broke character just at the end but still was great throughout....

Billy Bob Thornton 'Fenced in Area', could not find the skit but is an all time classic.  

11-17-2001_0.55.30.00-250x188.jpg

Outside of SNL hard to beat Will Sasso and MadTV

Coach Hines is an All time classic as well!

• Like 1