Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

7 hours ago, bruceb said:

Just can't see LeVert on the team.

What does he bring?

When hes healthy his biggest asset is that he can create his own shot and is a good scoring option/slasher, problem is that he has always struggled with staying on the court. Depending how guys like Okoro/Agbaji play along with Sextons situation--I could see him traded at the deadline to a team looking for cap relief since he is on a pretty hefty expiring contract.

But I know the FO might favor him because he is a veteran with experience 

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

In a sign and trade you’re lucky to get anything. It would probably be protected picks. 

In this case, untrue. Dallas doesn't have the cap space to make an offer to Sexton that he would sign. So the only way they would have a shot at him would be via S&T. And Sexton isn't the level of player to be able to FORCE a S&T if the team isn't into it.

I would agree with the earlier statement, there's nothing Dallas can give (reasonably) that would make me move off of Sexton. This team DESPERATELY needed somebody who could create their own offense last year outside of Garland. Sexton is that guy. There are only so many 24 and under guys in the NBA who have proven that they can be an EFFICIENT high volume scorer. I'm not giving one of them up for peanuts.

19 minutes ago, FGK said:

In this case, untrue. Dallas doesn't have the cap space to make an offer to Sexton that he would sign. So the only way they would have a shot at him would be via S&T. And Sexton isn't the level of player to be able to FORCE a S&T if the team isn't into it.

I would agree with the earlier statement, there's nothing Dallas can give (reasonably) that would make me move off of Sexton. This team DESPERATELY needed somebody who could create their own offense last year outside of Garland. Sexton is that guy. There are only so many 24 and under guys in the NBA who have proven that they can be an EFFICIENT high volume scorer. I'm not giving one of them up for peanuts.

They just need to make the salary’s match. Get a 3rd team involved. We were in a similar situation last year with Lauri. Didn’t have the cap for him so we did a 3 team sign and trade with nance going to Portland and a protected 2nd. I just feel like this happens every time a s&t is discussed. The trading teams fans think they can get something of value but it’s always just protected picks. 

24 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

He will start if he can consistently do this

He looked darn good shooting the ball. The the best part about drsfting an upperclassman, he looks ready to play now. He should feast off of Garland and Mobley 

14 hours ago, candyman93 said:

He needs to start at SG. His 3 point shot is NBA ready and we need that for spacing.

Awesome to see his shot translating to NBA range and he has no problem pulling the trigger, thats huge.

The one weird part about his game is his athleticism with the ball in his hands. I saw something pre-draft about his style and its that he IS really athletic in transition, but for some reason when he is dribbling/driving, he doesnt play athletic. I think that manifested itself a few times yesterday. He tried to pumpfake and drive but he couldnt get around the defender in front of him so he forced bad shots. Its almost like he is moving in slow motion with the ball in his hands.

Im sure that is something that can be worked on with drills/practice, but if he is going to be a 3pt marksman, hes going to have to learn how to drive past guys he pulls out to the perimeter.

If Donavan Mitchell is really available we need to be aggressive in getting him. I don’t care if he and garland are a bad defensive match together it would still work. That’s why we have Mobley and Allen. Their length and defensive ability can do what Rudy was able to do for Mitchell on Utah. Mitchell has carried the offensive load for a western conference team who made the playoffs all 5 years he’s been in the league. You get a player like that if you can. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 11:18 AM, sdrawkcab321 said:

If Donavan Mitchell is really available we need to be aggressive in getting him. I don’t care if he and garland are a bad defensive match together it would still work. That’s why we have Mobley and Allen. Their length and defensive ability can do what Rudy was able to do for Mitchell on Utah. Mitchell has carried the offensive load for a western conference team who made the playoffs all 5 years he’s been in the league. You get a player like that if you can. 

I don't think what it would cost on our end on players/picks and Mitchell's pretty hefty contract would make it worth it.  Although I think Mitchell can take our team into the playoffs, he didn't really take the Jazz much farther than that.

20 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

I don't think what it would cost on our end on players/picks and Mitchell's pretty hefty contract would make it worth it.  Although I think Mitchell can take our team into the playoffs, he didn't really take the Jazz much farther than that.

He was the jazzs only real offensive weapon. With Rudy who is a zero offensively outside of 1 foot.  But him with garland and they’d contend every year. 

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck