Training camp news and discussion

JAF-N72EX

On 8/30/2022 at 5:49 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

Velus has missed more practices than snaps played in preseason.

Just taking a look at this list

Brisker and Patrick we definitively know what happened, and have been targeting Week 1 returns, fingers crossed there

Johnson we have some info of when it happened, has sounded more precautionary, lets hope thats the case

Sharp is on the IR

Robinson we saw what happened, not sure he will be ready week 1

Jones and Pringle . . . . ?

It feels so weird that we just have no actual information here on both of them, definitely has me worried

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Just taking a look at this list

Brisker and Patrick we definitively know what happened, and have been targeting Week 1 returns, fingers crossed there

Johnson we have some info of when it happened, has sounded more precautionary, lets hope thats the case

Sharp is on the IR

Robinson we saw what happened, not sure he will be ready week 1

Jones and Pringle . . . . ?

It feels so weird that we just have no actual information here on both of them, definitely has me worried

It is weird. Velus missing week 1 was understandable since he was injured and didn't practice at all b/c of an 'undisclosed injury'-- no problem. Then he practiced once before a short week 2 and played the good amount of 1H snaps and things were looking up.  But then he mysteriously missed the very next practice and was kept out of week 3 again with the same "undisclosed injury". I'm hoping their just being careful with him. Or maybe he's having a tougher time absorbing the playbook than expected and they wanna slowly work him into the system as the season goes on.

I wasn't expecting much more than 40-50 plays from Velus this year since 1st year WRs rarely ever produce, but we still need bodies. I'm more concerned about Pringle because he was supposed to play a pivotal role as the #2 and the fact we haven't heard jack about him at all is definitely worrisome like you said.

Word is several teams reached out to the Jets about a possible trade for Mims and I wonder if Poles was one of them. He certainly wouldn't move the needle but a healthy body is better than no body at this point.  I don't expect Harry back until at least week 6 (he had the same injury in 2019 preseason and missed 9 regular season games because of it). So we need someone....anyone.  Claiming ISM is a good start. That's a good get IMO. I gotta believe Poles and co are already looking to add more.

20 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

It is weird. Velus missing week 1 was understandable since he was injured and didn't practice at all b/c of an 'undisclosed injury'-- no problem. Then he practiced once before a short week 2 and played the good amount of 1H snaps and things were looking up.  But then he mysteriously missed the very next practice and was kept out of week 3 again with the same "undisclosed injury". I'm hoping their just being careful with him. Or maybe he's having a tougher time absorbing the playbook than expected and they wanna slowly work him into the system as the season goes on.

I wasn't expecting much more than 40-50 plays from Velus this year since 1st year WRs rarely ever produce, but we still need bodies. I'm more concerned about Pringle because he was supposed to play a pivotal role as the #2 and the fact we haven't heard jack about him at all is definitely worrisome like you said.

Word is several teams reached out to the Jets about a possible trade for Mims and I wonder if Poles was one of them. He certainly wouldn't move the needle but a healthy body is better than no body at this point.  I don't expect Harry back until at least week 6 (he had the same injury in 2019 preseason and missed 9 regular season games because of it). So we need someone....anyone.  Claiming ISM is a good start. That's a good get IMO. I gotta believe Poles and co are already looking to add more.

Pretty sure the initial report on Pringle was a quad injury which usually takes “about a month.” That puts us right around now, and they didn’t put him on IR so they’re clearly expecting him back soon even if it’s not week 1.

Velus is more weird since he didn’t appear to get hurt in the SEA game but then didn’t practice at all after it so he wasn’t hurt at a practice. My thought from that was maybe an illness, but he’s been at practice on the side, so idk. Like you said hopefully just being overly cautious in what is a bye week this week. 

I’ve been pretty impressed with Pettis relative to my expectations. Preseason filter applied, but he’s been against the “1s” the last 2 preseason games and looked pretty competent and capable. Not star stuff, but similar to what I expect out of a healthy Pringle. Move some chains, possession WR type stuff. Occasional chunk gain. Something semi-reliable though. That’d be a huge development if it carries over. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’ve been pretty impressed with Pettis relative to my expectations. Preseason filter applied, but he’s been against the “1s” the last 2 preseason games and looked pretty competent and capable. Not star stuff, but similar to what I expect out of a healthy Pringle. Move some chains, possession WR type stuff. Occasional chunk gain. Something semi-reliable though. That’d be a huge development if it carries over. 

A big part of this IMO is that Fields seems to trust him. Talked him up a bit. 

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Agreed. if PS was any indication then he could possibly outplay expectations. Certainly not someone who you want to count on a regular basis but not many #4 5s are either.

That said, I don't wanna get my hopes up too high either because alot of people thought the same thing last year with Jesse James and we saw how that turned out.