Training camp news and discussion

JAF-N72EX

I think the anger is mostly who is saying it, but also it lacks nuance.  Kmet and Montgomery are not garbage players, they are completely discounted nationally at moment.  

St. Brown may be a bit better player than people outside Bears camp think.  He has always had physical talent, but never showed it to date.  He is a better athlete than his younger brother and his brother is very good.   We’ll see.

Yes the team has a lot of unproven players, young players and has less overall blue chip talent than most teams.  They are the least talented team in NFCN this year imo.  

But what it isn’t is the historically bad expansion like team people are predicting.  

This is a competitive football team if healthy.  They are going to pull some upsets.  Especially with the hustle they are being drilled with.

May have a rough start because it is late and they are still figuring out Oline spots.  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I think the anger is mostly who is saying it, but also it lacks nuance.  Kmet and Montgomery are not garbage players, they are completely discounted nationally at moment.  

St. Brown may be a bit better player than people outside Bears camp think.  He has always had physical talent, but never showed it to date.  He is a better athlete than his younger brother and his brother is very good.   We’ll see.

Yes the team has a lot of unproven players, young players and has less overall blue chip talent than most teams.  They are the least talented team in NFCN this year imo.  

But what it isn’t is the historically bad expansion like team people are predicting.  

This is a competitive football team if healthy.  They are going to pull some upsets.  Especially with the hustle they are being drilled with.

May have a rough start because it is late and they are still figuring out Oline spots.  

(Apply the appropriate “it’s only preseason but” filter)

The defense just looks different right now. Everyone is playing super fast, and this was a pretty solid unit last year even after Mack and Hicks got hurt. Not elite, but solid. The secondary should be improved this year, and if they’re able to take the ball away more this year with Flus’ emphasis on it (just 8 INT and 8 FR last year) then that’ll set the offense up to score more often even if they’re not consistent in moving the ball down the field. I think the defense is going to keep us in games most weeks even when the offense struggles, and on those weeks it doesn’t struggle I think we’ll win some games, even those we probably shouldn’t on paper. 

Now, do I think that amounts to more than 6-7 wins? MAYBE 8 wins? Probably not. But this isn’t the 2-15 squad the national media would have you think either unless Fields misses most of the season. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, dll2000 said:

https://www.the33rdteam.com/video/justin-fields-in-nowin-situation-for-talentpoor-bears/

Martz firing on Bears O talent, Nagy and Fields.

Then there’s Chicago’s Justin Fields. Fields is a guy that makes a lot of mistakes and is not particularly accurate at times. He’s not a quick read-and-react guy, and he’s on a horrendous team. But I don’t know if I’ve seen an offense that bad in talent since the 0-16 Detroit Lions (in 2008). They just don’t have anybody there. … It’s a bad football team right now. 

Martz is the same guy who, when he didn't have HOF at QB, RB, LT and WR (x2), couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag in the NFL. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Martz is the same guy who, when he didn't have HOF at QB, RB, LT and WR (x2), couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag in the NFL. 

And it came out he forced the Olsen trade because he told GM he was never going to play him so what was point of having him?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

(Apply the appropriate “it’s only preseason but” filter)

The defense just looks different right now. Everyone is playing super fast, and this was a pretty solid unit last year even after Mack and Hicks got hurt. Not elite, but solid. The secondary should be improved this year, and if they’re able to take the ball away more this year with Flus’ emphasis on it (just 8 INT and 8 FR last year) then that’ll set the offense up to score more often even if they’re not consistent in moving the ball down the field. I think the defense is going to keep us in games most weeks even when the offense struggles, and on those weeks it doesn’t struggle I think we’ll win some games, even those we probably shouldn’t on paper. 

Now, do I think that amounts to more than 6-7 wins? MAYBE 8 wins? Probably not. But this isn’t the 2-15 squad the national media would have you think either unless Fields misses most of the season. 

Defense with a healthy Brisker is going to be better than last year I think.  Really sucks he got hurt.  Maybe significantly better if they can get and stay healthy. 

Which I didn't think before camp because of defections off DL/Edge in Hicks, Mack and Nichols.  

Brisker has been really good from day 1.   Gordon has not been as good as Brisker yet, but he still improves secondary both at nickel and corner over last year.  

I thought Quinn would be traded before season and he is here and happy.  Muhammad has looked better than I expected and practices I haven't seen he has been praised a lot by beat reporters.  Blackson is underrated and Jones is a solid football player.   Tonga is better than people think too.  

Morrow has looked good as well.  Roquan is now playing for a contract so he will be motivated.  

At practice the coaches emphasize fundamentals and teaching.  Which last coaching staff did not.  This will make a difference (even though Jackson and Gordon will remain bad tacklers - they are just bad tacklers).  

Fields has had all reps this offseason and he had near zero this time last year.

I think Jones (wow Ourlads as Reiff as our starting LT right now - what are they watching?) will likely struggle at LT early in reg season games and I know Mustipher will.

Plus whatever 5 they pick will have had little time together.

That will hold back the offense a bit I think and gender some I told you so's, but for incomplete reasons.   

Martz does have a legit point that if Fields is pressured too much he will develop bad habits and start seeing ghosts.   You already see it in limited preseason action carrying over from last year.

Hopefully he can overcome it.

I think with Jenkins now in mix at guard we can find a talented 5 to build in front of Fields.  Going to take some time though and time is just about out before bullets are flying.

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Expansion teams are often filled with the same low-cost young players that make up the Bears' roster. I don't think the Bears are far removed from the typical expansion team. They may have a few "solid" players who will marginally move the needle. But not every expansion team is as bad as the 2008 Lions whose main problems were total failures of coaching and QB play.

For me, the Bears will go as far as Fields' hero-ball can take them. They've had trouble throwing the ball throughout camp, even against a young secondary playing completely new coverages. They're not good enough to consistently grind out low-scoring games, and they won't win shootouts. They look like a team that will struggle outside of the QB making a few elite plays every game.

Edited by abstract_thought
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Expansion teams are often filled with the same low-cost young players that make up the Bears' roster. I don't think the Bears are far removed from the typical expansion team. They may have a few "solid" players who will marginally move the needle. But not every expansion team is as bad as the 2008 Lions whose main problems were total failures of coaching and QB play.

For me, the Bears will go as far as Fields' hero-ball can take them. They've had trouble throwing the ball throughout camp, even against a young secondary playing completely new coverages. They're not good enough to consistently grind out low-scoring games, and they won't win shootouts. They look like a team that will struggle outside of the QB making a few elite plays every game.

They start out against 2 really good defenses in SF and GB which may be rough on psyche of fans and team.   

I think under in game 1 may be a good bet if you are a gambler.   But first games are hard to predict with months to prepare and first game sloppiness being large variables.  

But next 2 games I think will be more telling if they can stay mentally tough.

Maybe it is offseason optimism, but I just don't think they look nearly as bad as they did this time last year.   That was a team in disarray.   I don't get that Bears are totally lost this year.    More like a work in progress and trending in a decent direction.  

I had no confidence Bears could compete with Rams in game 1 last year.  

The SF game will be competitive and a Bears win would not shock me.

27 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

They have a good defense, and Shanahan is a great offensive mind. But Im not counting the Niners as a good team (much less really good) until Lance proves anything. 

That's what I mean.   49ers have a tough defense, but middle of Oline is suspect and QB is unproven.

One great WR, one great TE and good RB.   

Similar teams in some senses.

It is not an unwinnable game.  What is line ... -7

Bigger than I thought.  If I was betting I would take the Bears with the points at home.  

Biggest mismatch is 49ers dline vs. Bears O line.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

And it came out he forced the Olsen trade because he told GM he was never going to play him so what was point of having him?

Still drives me nuts to this day. Could have just made him your big WR and then not wasted time on Williams. 

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

That's what I mean.   49ers have a tough defense, but middle of Oline is suspect and QB is unproven.

One great WR, one great TE and good RB.   

Similar teams in some senses.

It is not an unwinnable game.  What is line ... -7

Bigger than I thought.  If I was betting I would take the Bears with the points at home.  

Biggest mismatch is 49ers dline vs. Bears O line.

I'm with both of you guys..I hate how Lance gets the benefit of the doubt after he's shown basically nothing and Fields gets crapped on for the ****ty situation he was put in last season.

Last season when these two teams faced off Fields held more than his own against what is pretty much the same 49ers team except they had an experienced QB in Jimmy G. I'd say it was probably Fields' most impressive showing.

Im excited to see how he does with a better supporting cast this time around outside of Allen Robinson who basically quit on the team anyway last season 

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I'm with both of you guys..I hate how Lance gets the benefit of the doubt after he's shown basically nothing and Fields gets crapped on for the ****ty situation he was put in last season.

Last season when these two teams faced off Fields held more than his own against what is pretty much the same 49ers team except they had an experienced QB in Jimmy G. I'd say it was probably Fields' most impressive showing.

Im excited to see how he does with a better supporting cast this time around outside of Allen Robinson who basically quit on the team anyway last season 

I think a lot has to do with the 49ers QB history, the Shanny love and Bears being... well, the Bears. Lance flops then you'll have 90% of the posters saying "I said so all along" just like if Fields blows up. 😂