Training camp news and discussion

JAF-N72EX

When I was at practice and practices I have seen online I am impressed with the emphasis on fundamentals and the teaching between reps.

Something I didn’t see as much under Nagy and is a sign of good coaching staff. 

I think many people assume pros don’t need to practice fundamentals, but it isn’t true.  

• Like 1

To media bashing Bears Oline

Context Rookie LT playing and is still learning. How did Seattles 1st round rookie LT play?

RG has had two practices ever at position.  Center is back up.  And still many of pressures are fault of back up RBs.   

Give things a half minute to be built.

Oline coaching and building is a little harder than it looks.  It doesn’t happen like a video game where you plug and play different names.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Context Rookie LT playing and is still learning. How did Seattles 1st round rookie LT play?

RG has had two practices ever at position.  Center is back up.  And still many of pressures are fault of back up RBs.   

Oline coaching and building is a little harder than it looks.  It doesn’t happen like a video game where you plug and play different names.  

OL play is always something that takes time to come together…I have watched a few preseason games and outside of the Eagles I would say no other OL has looked massively better than ours…we won’t really know how this OL will look until a 3 or 4 games into the season.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Media narratives are insanely frustrating to me, but the ones that frustrate me the most are the former player ones where a guy obviously knows better but chooses to tell a story anyway. If you look close enough at anything you’ll see what you want to see. The younger “analysts” are the worst at it too. 

The major national outlets are the worst though. During the game at least give me analysis of what’s actually happening and not some bull **** push to what you decided to tell us ahead of time. That broadcast Thursday was shameful in that regard.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

OL play is always something that takes time to come together…I have watched a few preseason games and outside of the Eagles I would say no other OL has looked massively better than ours…we won’t really know how this OL will look until a 3 or 4 games into the season.

Ideally we can run the same 5 out there this week to start to see some of that continuity come together.

We have seen such a small portion of our offense so far too. Minimal moving pockets, but enough to know they’re there. Minimal screens, but enough to know that we’ll use them (they already look better coached and executed than those under Nagy too). No RPOs yet at all. Each of those will serve to help the pass protection out somewhat too.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Media narratives are insanely frustrating to me, but the ones that frustrate me the most are the former player ones where a guy obviously knows better but chooses to tell a story anyway. If you look close enough at anything you’ll see what you want to see. The younger “analysts” are the worst at it too. 

The major national outlets are the worst though. During the game at least give me analysis of what’s actually happening and not some bull **** push to what you decided to tell us ahead of time. That broadcast Thursday was shameful in that regard.

They are lazy.

They just use narratives in place of research and observation.   They have dream jobs of watching football and talking about it and they mail it in.

They do bare minimum. 

I get you aren't going to know same level of detail as a local beat reporter or fan, there isn't time.  But they can do way better than they do.

The fans have full time jobs.   This is your job.

• Like 1

Going into the season Oline was our biggest question mark and it still is.

But Bears are slowly answering the questions.   That is the positive.    Yes, it is a work in progress but there is light at end of tunnel now.  

This time last year it was being put together with bubble gum and that elmers glue you use in grade school.  The media wasn't there complaining like they should have been.   

Now they are complaining loudly and shouldn't be (as much as they are).

I think Braxton is going to get abused at times still, he already is and has been.   But he has a lot of upside potential.   

He is currently showing on par with most of the 2022 high draft picks out there and more than some.  I haven't really watched them aside from Seattle's guy last week, but from what I have read.  

Ideally Braxton would be watching and learning all year since that is best way to learn.  But sadly they are giving him reps in hopes he gets better that way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

True, but remember the media makes a living on reactionary statements. Skip Bayless makes more than our entire subforum because of his hot takes. "Poor Bears QB Justin Fields is in Danger" sells a hell of a lot more than "Rebuilding OL needs time to gel, OC needs to account for it in playcalling"  

Now that I think about Skip, most of us left a lot of money on the table by keeping our own hot takes to the forum. 😂

• Like 3