2022 Training Camp Thread

textaz03

3 hours ago, D82 said:

Nope. I’ve known it for a while now.

Jerry is a buisness man first and foremost.

I know he "believes" he wants to win another title, but I think is more of a daydream for him than a reality.

Picture him sitting in his office with an imaginary cloud over his head. In that cloud he is hoisting the Lombardi trophy, grinning from ear to ear.

Problem is, he had NO idea how to achieve this goal.

He knows how to generate cash and make his team the most profitable of all 4 major sports, but he is clueless to the Xs and Os of the game.

I said for 3 seasons now that Tyron Smith is NOT reliable anymore due to injuries. I said once a player gets injured, they don't start getting healthier later in their careers, they get worse.

Jerry should have drafted his replacement, even for grooming, 3 years ago.

I know we got Tyler Smith now, but unless he can acclimate to the most important position on the Online in a hurry, we're screwed.

This will just continue the long drawn out process of too little too late and waste the careers of players like Dak, Zeke, Cee Dee, Micah, etc. Like many players before them.

So hip hip, chin up, stiff upper lip, hold on and, do,t get your hopes up.

Go Boys.

3 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Jerry is a buisness man first and foremost.

All the owners are.

3 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Jerry should have drafted his replacement, even for grooming, 3 years ago.

Was there a left tackle prospect in Cowboys' draft range during the past 3 years?

35 minutes ago, TVScout said:

Was there a left tackle prospect in Cowboys' draft range during the past 3 years?

There’s been plenty. Rashawn Slater comes to mind immediately, if you’re ok with missing out on Parsons. But, there been plenty of opportunities to find someone.

1 hour ago, TVScout said:

All the owners are.

Yes they are, but only Jerry can lay claim to "the most profitable franchise in all 4 sports."

While other owners, who are also businessmen, do not generate Jerry's income, they know enough to hire a HC that is consistent with the times and stay the hell out of the way and let that man do his job.

That was the point.

1 hour ago, Rtnldave said:

Yes they are, but only Jerry can lay claim to "the most profitable franchise in all 4 sports."

While other owners, who are also businessmen, do not generate Jerry's income, they know enough to hire a HC that is consistent with the times and stay the hell out of the way and let that man do his job.

That was the point.

A true leader will as you say Dave hire a subject content expert(s) and let them manage.  Goals and timelines to achieve said goals will be established.  Course correcting takes place.  If goals are not met changed may take place.  Jerry anointed himself as ruler of the roost as is his right - he owns the club.  His track record as lord of the manor since the clubs last Superbowl is abysmal.  Jerry wants to win but wanting to win and being capable of winning are as long suffering honest Dallas fans will testify two different things.  Vastly different.  As a kid if the 1970s what I remember fondly are naturally the wins but moreso  the fact that Dallas was always a contender.  They did not win every year but they were in the conversation.  Legitimately.  As a fan that's what I want.  Your team won't win every year and it's foolish to think so. How many of us would be energized by a deep playoff run?  Sadly that has become unrealistic.  Until Jerry stays out of the way it will be same old same old.  That's why I am not as invested anymore.  I'll engage here but the days of having Sundays revolve around Dallas are over.

21 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I’d take a trade for Little over any of the available FAs.

Don’t know what kind of truth there is to this SI article. But from what I’m hearing Little is in the thick of being their starting RT. We would probably have to give up a top 3 round pick for him most likely. 

regardless, anyone coming from the outside is going to need time to learn the scheme, protection calls, play book, and just gel with the rest of the line. That takes time. This is why I really think the answer is Tyler Smith, trial by fire. 

6 hours ago, Northland said:

A true leader will as you say Dave hire a subject content expert(s) and let them manage.  Goals and timelines to achieve said goals will be established.  Course correcting takes place.  If goals are not met changed may take place.  Jerry anointed himself as ruler of the roost as is his right - he owns the club.  His track record as lord of the manor since the clubs last Superbowl is abysmal.  Jerry wants to win but wanting to win and being capable of winning are as long suffering honest Dallas fans will testify two different things.  Vastly different.  As a kid if the 1970s what I remember fondly are naturally the wins but moreso  the fact that Dallas was always a contender.  They did not win every year but they were in the conversation.  Legitimately.  As a fan that's what I want.  Your team won't win every year and it's foolish to think so. How many of us would be energized by a deep playoff run?  Sadly that has become unrealistic.  Until Jerry stays out of the way it will be same old same old.  That's why I am not as invested anymore.  I'll engage here but the days of having Sundays revolve around Dallas are over.

Yup. We posted something very similar a few weeks back.

If Jerry just focus on finance and let a "football guy" run the team, we may be looking at the early 90s again.

But the sad truth is we both know that is not going to happen.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Yup. We posted something very similar a few weeks back.

If Jerry just focus on finance and let a "football guy" run the team, we may be looking at the early 90s again.

But the sad truth is we both know that is not going to happen.

Jerry is a great marketer.

1 hour ago, TVScout said:

Absolutely not.

Slater is 6'4" with 33 inch arms who projected to LG. With that sort of logic we might be just as smart to put Martin to LT.

Honestly, solid O lines contributed more to SBs than a stout LB Corp.

No offense to Parsons, but given the choice of an outstanding O lineman or LB, I have to go Oline.

The LB pick is sexier, no doubt, but protecting your QB and controlling the game on the ground is the better value.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Honestly, solid O lines contributed more to SBs than a stout LB Corp.

No offense to Parsons, but given the choice of an outstanding O lineman or LB, I have to go Oline.

The LB pick is sexier, no doubt, but protecting your QB and controlling the game on the ground is the better value.

Normally I would agree, but Parsons isnt your typical LB. Teams also win Super Bowls with a great pass rush, something Pasons excels at. Our main issue over I dont know how many decades now, is preparing for losses and having depth. We have seen this time and time again that when injuries happen, we just arent prepared.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CAPJ said:

Normally I would agree, but Parsons isnt your typical LB. Teams also win Super Bowls with a great pass rush, something Pasons excels at. Our main issue over I dont know how many decades now, is preparing for losses and having depth. We have seen this time and time again that when injuries happen, we just arent prepared.

Boy you said it, Amen!

10 hours ago, CAPJ said:

There is also the requirement issue. In 2021 the O-line was set. The linebackers weren't. Lee retired and we had to replace him.

I might be in the minority but I think the front office made a big mistake but trading Cooper for a bag of peanuts. Me personally I would have let Schultz walk and picked up a 3rd round comp pick instead While moving Coopers money around. I believe Ferguson and Hendershot are our TEs for the future.

I also believe we have a Tyron Smith replacement already on the team but nobody is talking about him in A.Collins. He’s been a stud stepping in at RT this offseason, but his primary position was on the left side in Minnesota and in College. He’s better than Ball and Weltetzko, but nobody is giving him any attention.