Agree with this Best First Round Picks via NBC Sports Chicago?

mdonnelly21

It's really challenging comparing different positions lead alone defensive and offensive players. 

My list would go something like this 

#1. Jerry Rice 

#2. Lawrence Taylor

#3. Walter Payton

#4. Peyton Manning

#5. Ray Lewis  

#6. Deion Sanders 

#7. Anthony Munoz 

#8. John Elway

#9. Ronnie Lott 

#10. Emmitt Smith 

Edited by mdonnelly21

Draft picks are a team thing. Manning does not make the top 10 IMO. He got his first coach fired and wound up with 3 TD passes in 4 Super Bowls. He was carried to his Colts SB win (3 TDs 7 picks). He's a top 5 QB overall for his regular season record and statistics but he's not a top 10 pick on this list IMO. I'd love to see a simulation of all of Manning's playoff games with 2010-2014 Flacco (24 TDs to 4 picks) or 04-11 Brees or 11-17 Alex Smith. 3 rings? 4? I like to rip on Rodgers playoff failures but I'd guess he would have 2 or 3 SBs with those Colts as well.

His brother (16-5 TD INT from 07-16) is literally a .500 QB who only won playoff games in 2 years but he has a better playoff resume.

1. Jerry Rice
  2. Lawrence Taylor
  3. Jim Brown
  4. Walter Payton
  5. Ronnie Lott
  6. Pick a 70's Steeler, I will go Joe Greene as the one who started the run on amazing 1st round picks
  7. Aaron Donald  (we only get to grade him on 8 seasons so far and they are incredible)
  8. Deion Sanders
  9. Barry Sanders
  10. Troy Aikman (you take his 126.4, 104, and 106.1 Lombardi runs over anything Manning did)  Bradshaw and Elway are close here

I could revise this 100 times but this is what I have now. Its really hard to value O-lineman like Munoz compared to players with stats.

FWIW, Peyton Manning would probably be around 18-22 on my list. He was an awesome regular season QB (and had 4 great playoff games, including that AFCCG comeback)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Draft picks are a team thing. Manning does not make the top 10 IMO. He got his first coach fired and wound up with 3 TD passes in 4 Super Bowls. He was carried to his Colts SB win (3 TDs 7 picks). He's a top 5 QB overall for his regular season record and statistics but he's not a top 10 pick on this list IMO. I'd love to see a simulation of all of Manning's playoff games with 2010-2014 Flacco (24 TDs to 4 picks) or 04-11 Brees or 11-17 Alex Smith. 3 rings? 4? I like to rip on Rodgers playoff failures but I'd guess he would have 2 or 3 SBs with those Colts as well.

His brother (16-5 TD INT from 07-16) is literally a .500 QB who only won playoff games in 2 years but he has a better playoff resume.

1. Jerry Rice
  2. Lawrence Taylor
  3. Jim Brown
  4. Walter Payton
  5. Ronnie Lott
  6. Pick a 70's Steeler, I will go Joe Greene as the one who started the run on amazing 1st round picks
  7. Aaron Donald  (we only get to grade him on 8 seasons so far and they are incredible)
  8. Deion Sanders
  9. Barry Sanders
  10. Troy Aikman (you take his 126.4, 104, and 106.1 Lombardi runs over anything Manning did)  Bradshaw and Elway are close here

I could revise this 100 times but this is what I have now. Its really hard to value O-lineman like Munoz compared to players with stats.

FWIW, Peyton Manning would probably be around 18-22 on my list. He was an awesome regular season QB (and had 4 great playoff games, including that AFCCG comeback)

I'd be very curios to see your top 15 All time QB list. 

10 minutes ago, mdonnelly21 said:

I'd be very curios to see your top 15 All time QB list. 

Manning would be top 5 and Aikman would not be top 10. (maybe 15-20 range?)

I don't rate QBs and draft picks the same way.

Its tough to rate Otto Graham against Terry Bradshaw against Drew Brees due to eras and how they were used and what they did.

• Like 1

Very odd Ogden is not on that list, I would say as a player he might be better than Munoz was.  And what is it based off of winning or long term success?  Also Barry Sanders was arguably a better back that both Walter and Emmitt considering he did not play that long and if he did he would be the top ahead of Emmitt and Walter probably easily in terms of stats.  

Let us say best all time by position as 1st round picks, might look like this.  

QB Peyton Manning
RB Barry Sanders
WR Jerry Rice
WR Randy Moss
TE Tony Gonzalez
OT Jonathan Ogden
OG Bruce Matthews
C Maurkice Pouncey
OG John Hannah
OT Anthony Munoz

DE Reggie White
DT Aaron Donald
DT Warren Sapp
DE Bruce Smith
OLB Lawrence Taylor
ILB **** Butkus
OLB Derrick Thomas
CB Deion Sanders
CB Rod Woodson
SS Ronnie Lott
FS Ed Reed

Hard with the 4/3 or the 3/4 D, have to 3/4 OLBs but two 4/3 DEs, could maybe take off Bruce Smith and add Ray Lewis as the other 3/4 ILB.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Manning would be top 5 and Aikman would not be top 10. (maybe 15-20 range?)

I don't rate QBs and draft picks the same way.

Its tough to rate Otto Graham against Terry Bradshaw against Drew Brees due to eras and how they were used and what they did.

Terry Bradshaw isn't even a top 25 QB of all time. The dude had the greatest supporting cast of all time when you combined defense/offense. 

He had TWO more TD's then INTs for his career. TWO. If his teams didn't have 4 SBs he'd be viewed as a Brad Johnson/Trent Dilfer type historically. 

Edited by mdonnelly21

1 hour ago, mdonnelly21 said:

Terry Bradshaw isn't even a top 25 QB of all time. The dude had the greatest supporting cast of all time when you combined defense/offense. 

He had TWO more TD's then INTs for his career. TWO. If his teams didn't have 4 SBs he'd be viewed as a Brad Johnson/Trent Dilfer type historically. 

You know 1 to 1 TD INT was good in the 1970's, right?  Watch highlights of what you could do to receivers. Research what the Raiders would do to Lynn Swann for one example. Staubach was the exception (and I'd put him ahead of Bradshaw) but that's more on Staubach being the Steve Young of the 1970s.

Stabler had 194 TDs to 222 picks

Namath had 173 to 220

In 1976 the average team put up 15.4 TDs and 17.8 picks. In 2006 this was 20.3 to 16.3. In 2016 this was 24.6 to 13.0.

Bradshaw was a beast in those SBs. They win 1 or 2 instead of 4 without him. Watch highlights of those games. Pay attention to the beating he takes and keeps going and keeps launching bombs.

Bradshaw's 4 SB playoff run QB ratings were 94.9, 68.4, 104.1, and 98.5 in the 1970s when 65.0 was the average QB rating in 1978

Manning's 4 SB playoff run QB ratings were 70.5, 99.0, 94.2, and 75.4 in an era when 84.1 was the average in 2010

Saying those Steelers teams were loaded does not mean much without also saying that Dallas, Oakland, and Miami were also loaded.

I'd love to see a list of teams that won the SB who were not loaded. Think twice about your first answer since they won 2 in 5 years.

How many possible HoF players were on last years Rams team? How about the Bucs the year before?

• Like 1

If it’s based off the draft pick, it should be Elway or Bradshaw at the top. The teams that drafted then got 4 and 5 Super Bowl appearances out of it and multiple rings. 

Peyton was a better player but the Colts only got one title and one other SB appearance out of his run there. Even Rice, they already won two titles without him and were so stacked during the other 3 that it’s hard to believe they don’t go at least 2 out of 3 if he wasn’t there.