Deebo signs extension

GW21

The timing seems to work out well for us in regards to Trey as well. If he turns out to be the franchise guy we’re all hoping he is he’ll be in his 5th year option Deebo & George’s last year under contract.

Obviously if he does turn out the way we hope we’ll probably extend him before that year, but it seems like when KC did that with Mahomes, it didn’t impact his cap number for his 5th year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GW21 said:

The timing seems to work out well for us in regards to Trey as well. If he turns out to be the franchise guy we’re all hoping he is he’ll be in his 5th year option Deebo & George’s last year under contract.

Honestly, we will be in an even better situation than that fifth year if he's who we are hoping he'll be as he will never see that fifth year option. He'll sign his deal after year 3 or 4 and you just know it'll be back loaded, so that first year or two will likely be less than a fifth year option cap hit

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, we will be in an even better situation than that fifth year if he's who we are hoping he'll be as he will never see that fifth year option. He'll sign his deal after year 3 or 4 and you just know it'll be back loaded, so that first year or two will likely be less than a fifth year option cap hit

When did Mahomes sign his? Before year 5, or before that? It seems to me that he signed it after year 4, but I could be mistaken.

I’m also not implying that we need to follow KC’s template to a T, but more so making the point that we will potentially be clearing up a significant amount of money when Trey’s commitment is up. 

1 minute ago, GW21 said:

When did Mahomes sign his? Before year 5, or before that? It seems to me that he signed it after year 4, but I could be mistaken.

I’m also not implying that we need to follow KC’s template to a T, but more so making the point that we will potentially be clearing up a significant amount of money when Trey’s commitment is up. 

After his third year (July of 20, I think)

The only QBs who have made their fifth year options were guys who ultimately were just not the guy. Mariota, Winston, Darnold, Baker etc. Lamar is the extreme outlier and it's not for lack of trying on the teams part, it seems. 

So if Trey is what we hope, he'll get his deal before year 4/5, and those first a year or two will have small cap hits. Likely smaller than what the actual fifth year option would be. Josh Allen is in the second year of his extension and his hit is 16m, less than Darnold and Baker fifth year options are, so it'll be a good position for sure

• Like 1