Roquan Smith Requests Trade

Just Want A Title

Apparently, long-term contract negotiations between Roquan Smith and the Bears have broken down to the point where he as asked for a trade.  It would be almost impossible for a player of his caliber to get traded within the division.  Still, if the Bears really don't think much of him, there is an outside chance it could happen.  Any thoughts on who might make a move?  The Chiefs might be able to pull it off.  Thoughts?

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2022/08/09/chicago-bears-roquan-smith-trade/

Edited by Just Want A Title
Forgot something

I thought about this but not sure its worth the draft/player cost or the contract cost.  LB isn't as important as it used to be, and although I think LB is our biggest weakness, I dont want to pay a LB $15-16M a year.  I think it would cost something like our Rams 1st or our 2nd plus for him and then a big contract and I'd rather just draft a LB next year or have those picks available to move up for a QB if needed than make a move for a great LB.  

5 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I don't think there is anyway the Bears would trade him to us, but damn that would be amazing. 

Also, what is Chicago doing? I think Fields will be an okay QB, but they gave up alot to move up for him and then blew up everything around him. 

Whatever it is they're doing, I hope they keep doing it. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

On the other hand, our best LB is Alex Anzalone.  That says a lot and not in a good way.

Agreed, but I feel like we should be able to upgrade with fewer resources.  Obviously not to that level but if the staff thought LB was a major need for their D to work, they would have used more resources this past offseason.  I think we definitely need an upgrade, but we dont need to have the highest paid LB once he resigns and draft capital to get him in the LB position. 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 8:52 PM, diehardlionfan said:

Hard pass for me.

To much draft capital and way to much money.

He's 25. He's the kind of guy who, if he'd been drafted alongside Ragnow and Tracy Walker in 2018, the Lions would have wrapped him up with a second contract by now and he'd be a centerpiece of the team's core.

The Bears aren't trading him, and really not trading him to the Lions, but if they did trade him, our pick from the Rams would probably do it, and I'd do that right now. And then I'd sign him to the contract he wants.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Superduperman said:

He's 25. He's the kind of guy who, if he'd been drafted alongside Ragnow and Tracy Walker in 2018, the Lions would have wrapped him up with a second contract by now and he'd be a centerpiece of the team's core.

The Bears aren't trading him, and really not trading him to the Lions, but if they did trade him, our pick from the Rams would probably do it, and I'd do that right now. And then I'd sign him to the contract he wants.

I like this strategy if it wasn't for the fact that we're likely still positioning for our QBOTF. Giving up 1st round draft capital for an off ball LB while we're still positioning to take our QBOTF doesn't make a ton of sense to me. If we wind up at #6 overall, that Rams 1st is much more valuable for us to move up in order to grab "our guy" than acquiring Smith. 

I don't think we're drafting a QB in 2023.

My prediction is, Goff is going to throw for 4,000+ yards and probably closer to 4,500.

Now, that doesn't mean he's going to be that good. Doesn't mean he's going to be clutch, to take great care of the ball, to get it done in game-winning time. But he's going to have guys to go to all over the field and great protection, plus the Lions are going to be in a lot of shootouts because I don't see their defense being dramatically improved.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

I don't think we're drafting a QB in 2023.

My prediction is, Goff is going to throw for 4,000+ yards and probably closer to 4,500.

Now, that doesn't mean he's going to be that good. Doesn't mean he's going to be clutch, to take great care of the ball, to get it done in game-winning time. But he's going to have guys to go to all over the field and great protection, plus the Lions are going to be in a lot of shootouts because I don't see their defense being dramatically improved.

This is basically what I think will happen, with the exception I don't think the numbers will be quite that inflated. I think if the team can control the clock through the run, then that greatly benefit the defense. But it is very possible if they can't control through the run, those numbers do occur. But I overall agree with this and would be somewhat surprised if we are looking for a qbotf next year in the 1st.

12 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Can't control the clock when your defense is giving up touchdowns several times a game, which is what I expect.

I know talent is an issue but how can we expect AG to be a future HC candidate for 2023 if the defense is THAT bad? 

For once, I don't give one single d*** if Glenn or anyone else get HC jobs. The staff has great chemistry, with many former players, and they're bringing in more young guys to learn and move up. If Glenn leaves, then Pleasant or Sheppard could advance, or someone else could come from outside because the Lions' staff has a good thing going on. If the Lions' D is that bad all season and doesn't show anything by the second half of the season, then I'd give the D staff at least one more year with added talent.

Edited by Superduperman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Superduperman said:

For once, I don't give one single d*** if Glenn or anyone else get HC jobs. The staff has great chemistry, with many former players, and they're bringing in more young guys to learn and move up. If Glenn leaves, then Pleasant or Sheppard could advance, or someone else could come from outside because the Lions' staff has a good thing going on. If the Lions' D is that bad all season and doesn't show anything by the second half of the season, then I'd give the D staff at least one more year with added talent.

It's not really about what we want or don't want.. more so about expectations. If we're giving up nearly 30 points a game and always playing from behind, I just don't see AG seriously being considered for a HC role (barring major injuries and playing hard despite the lack of talent). 

Pleasant or Sheppard would more than likely step into the DC role (barring either of them following AG), so I'm not too worried. I just have a hard time seeing us with a defense as poorly as expected to lose any staff this year. Despite the struggles, the defense vastly outplayed it's talent level IMO and we were pretty competitive in a lot of games without a lot of help from the offense.