Preseason Week 1 @ Denver

textaz03

25 minutes ago, Northland said:

They truly were.  I'm with D82.  I enjoy football (even though the NFL is flag happy)but I'll put it this way.  If Dallas is the only televised option in my area I'll probably tune in.  If there are multiple options I'll probably choose to watch another game.  As long as Jerry has some say in the product on the field Dallas will continue to spin its wheels.  They will be more pretender than contender.  I don't expect a Super Bowl every year.  That's unrealistic.  But it is obviously too much to ask for even a deep playoff run.  The only consistency with this team is mediocrity and futility.  They have been top three in one category over the past quarter century plus though.  Sadly that's penalties and fines.

True that

On 8/15/2022 at 9:27 AM, Rtnldave said:

Thank you for the response. There for a moment I thought I was the only one realizing this.

What a night and day scenario this franchise has become. For those of you born after 1995, I'm so sorry for you as Cowboy fans. 

You have never known the joy or had a chance to enjoy the success of this once very proud organization.

I was born in 1971, the Cowboys had won the SB that year against Miami.

Throughout the 70s they were dominant, although losing 2 tough games to Pitts in SBs, they were always contending. They even collected another SB in 77 I believe against Den.

Then the 80s happened. But even then they went to 3 consecutive NFC championship games.

I got to experience major heartbreak at the age of 10 with "The Catch" before some girl had the chance to do it to me several years later. But they were STILL competitive!

Until the late 80s were they went 3-13 and 1-15.

But even then their woes were short lived.

Only 5 years later they won the first of 3 SBs in 4 years.

Living in South Philly, this was an indescribable pleasure. I work at an Italuan restaurant at the time located 2 blocks from the Vet stadium. It was frickin sweeeeeeeet!!!!

The Iggles practiced directly across the alley from us.

I used to LOVE wearing my Aikman jersey to work on Sundays.

That was the 1st 25 years of my life.

Being 51, the past 26 have been, well, you know yourselves. Just plain 💩.

So, I agree with D82. I will watch with a careless attitude and expect nothing. It's just a crying shame to see what this franchise has become.

You summed up how I feel when you said they were still competitive.  That's important. Like you I will watch them with the bar set very low.

2 hours ago, Northland said:

You know Jerry has the perfect business model.  He has the world's most valuable sports franchise yet the product fails to produce any substantial results.  With this reality why should he spend more money? 

How much money does the guy need at this point?

On 8/18/2022 at 11:49 AM, Northland said:

There's no logical explanation.  Sometimes those who have always want more.

The idea that Jerry doesn’t care about winning is so silly. But even if he really only cares about the money, nothing would make him more money than winning another Super Bowl.

I’m pretty confident Dallas would be in on every big free agent if there were no salary cap. The logical explanation for why we don’t do more is that he/they think the best path to winning is through the draft and not overpaying for free agents.

You can think they are incompetent (either for or at employing that strategy), but I think the “Jerry doesn’t even care about winning” is bogus.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

The idea that Jerry doesn’t care about winning is so silly. But even if he really only cares about the money, nothing would make him more money than winning another Super Bowl.

I’m pretty confident Dallas would be in on every big free agent if there were no salary cap. The logical explanation for why we don’t do more is that he/they think the best path to winning is through the draft and not overpaying for free agents.

You can think they are incompetent (either for or at employing that strategy), but I think the “Jerry doesn’t even care about winning” is bogus.

I am not a fan of Jerry and I think his record and strategy as GM and czar of the boys since 1996 has been abysmal.

Let me frame it this way.  What have Jerry and the Cowboys done to continue to earn the support of fans? Every year there's a lot of talk and hype that ultimately meets a heavy dose of reality. A playoff victory every 6.5 years is a bar set pretty low.

I will stand by my assertion that Jerry has the perfect business model.  A mediocre product that fails to meet expectations has resulted in the most valuable asset in the segment in which he competes.  It's brilliant.

I don't expect a Super Bowl every year.  That's dreaming.  However a deep playoff run has become a thing of fantasy in Dallas.  

Not that it matters but as I said on an earlier post I'm done drinking the Kool aid.  I enjoy football.  If Dallas is the only viewing option I will probably watch.  If I have a choice and determine another game is the better option that's where I'll be.

Edited by Northland

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I totally agree with this take except for one very important caveat.   While Winning is extremely important to Jerry it also is very important to Jerry that HE HAS THE FINAL SAY. IMO Jerry wants the "thrill" of being IN CHARGE, or BEING THE MAN. Though I will say I have seen some slight decrease in this as he has allowed some of this control to slip down stream as it were.

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Jerry has gone from 1 extreme to another. His first 15 years he was constantly buying high price FA’s or making lavish trades trying to get top tier talent on the roster. Then all of the sudden, a light switched and they started going cheap in FA and making low end trades that cost next to nothing. 

There needs to be a happy medium. We can’t always dull out 2nd and 3rd contracts to the same players who are not getting the job done when it matters the most. We need to bring in players who have had post season success.  But, in order to do this, Jerry and Steven need to do a much better job at navigating the Salary Cap

• Like 1

11 hours ago, textaz03 said:

Jerry has gone from 1 extreme to another. His first 15 years he was constantly buying high price FA’s or making lavish trades trying to get top tier talent on the roster. Then all of the sudden, a light switched and they started going cheap in FA and making low end trades that cost next to nothing. 

There needs to be a happy medium. We can’t always dull out 2nd and 3rd contracts to the same players who are not getting the job done when it matters the most. We need to bring in players who have had post season success.  But, in order to do this, Jerry and Steven need to do a much better job at navigating the Salary Cap

This is a strategy thing, not a cheapness thing, is my point. I agree, their strategy is far from perfect, and occasionally quite frustrating.

11 hours ago, quiller said:

I totally agree with this take except for one very important caveat.   While Winning is extremely important to Jerry it also is very important to Jerry that HE HAS THE FINAL SAY. IMO Jerry wants the "thrill" of being IN CHARGE, or BEING THE MAN. Though I will say I have seen some slight decrease in this as he has allowed some of this control to slip down stream as it were.

He does want control, as I would if I owned the Cowboys. But again, my only point is that lack of effectiveness/competence/self-awareness is not the same thing as caring more about money than winning.