Bills bench Tyrod Taylor for rookie qb Nathan Peterman

LinderFournette

2 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

I think almost all of us in the Bills forum have come to the conclusion it's time to move on from Tyrod. The timing of the benching is odd, especially considering we're 5-4 in a bad AFC but Tyrod has shown too little progress to make us think he's going to be here long term. One of the examples I've used is that we barely beat the Falcons when we forced four turnovers and our kicker won AFC ST player of the week because he hit three 50 yard field goals and that was because our offense was just so completely ineffective. The rest of our team had to play out of it's skin for us to barely hang on to a victory. Tyrod just limits our passing game too much for us to be an effective football team, he holds the ball too long and just lacks the decisiveness that a starting QB needs in this league. I like Tyrod as a person and he's really fun to watch at times but he is not the answer in Buffalo. I don't think Peterman will be either but you might as well see what you've got. 

So you throw in a mid-round rookie and hope for the best? As you said, the Bills are not only in contention for a playoff spot, but they currently hold it. Why mess with your team consistency in this situation? It would be one thing if the Bills were 1-9 and all but eliminated from playoff contention, it's quite another to make a QB change like this while in the hunt...

2 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

I think almost all of us in the Bills forum have come to the conclusion it's time to move on from Tyrod. The timing of the benching is odd, especially considering we're 5-4 in a bad AFC but Tyrod has shown too little progress to make us think he's going to be here long term. One of the examples I've used is that we barely beat the Falcons when we forced four turnovers and our kicker won AFC ST player of the week because he hit three 50 yard field goals and that was because our offense was just so completely ineffective. The rest of our team had to play out of it's skin for us to barely hang on to a victory. Tyrod just limits our passing game too much for us to be an effective football team, he holds the ball too long and just lacks the decisiveness that a starting QB needs in this league. I like Tyrod as a person and he's really fun to watch at times but he is not the answer in Buffalo. I don't think Peterman will be either but you might as well see what you've got. 

Bengals game was the same way, we won the TO margin by 2-3 yet the offense could do nothing. If I recall Tyrod averaged like... 4 yards per attempt.

Panthers game was winnable but the offense could do nothing (including a final play that could have been the game winner if he could get a pretty easy pass to Zay Jones).

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

So you throw in a mid-round rookie and hope for the best? As you said, the Bills are not only in contention for a playoff spot, but they currently hold it. Why mess with your team consistency in this situation? It would be one thing if the Bills were 1-9 and all but eliminated from playoff contention, it's quite another to make a QB change like this while in the hunt...

Agree here. He had one really bad game where the defense gave up 47 points and the QB is benched . . . That's a very questionable coaching decision to be made.

I agree the timing is a strange one but we're just not a playoff team. The last two games made that perfectly clear. Beane and McDermott have constantly stated this is a project and I think they've seen enough to know what Tyrod is. It's definitely a bold move and frankly we'll never know what would have happened if we stuck with Tyrod but it's hard to imagine we'll be any worse than we have been the last two weeks. Teams will at least have to somewhat respect the passing game now. 

Because we just got destroyed two weeks in a row, once of which to a garbage team.

Because we still face the Patriots twice and the Chiefs as well.

Because, regardless of our current record, this team cannot get to 10 wins, and it PROBABLY couldn't even get to 9 wins either.

Just now, Carmen Cygni said:

Agree here. He had one really bad game where the defense gave up 47 points and the QB is benched . . . That's a very questionable coaching decision to be made.

You don't watch enough Bills football if you think this is simply a response to the Saints game.

10 minutes ago, Danand said:

NEVER EVER judge by garbage time stats. Hey, do that QB Blake Bortles look good? All his stats were, where pumped up by garbage time yards/TD's.

I know. I would normally think the same thing but the Saints defense was still aggressive with their blitzes. They didn't all just sit back in zone. They were blitzing their offense was going for it on 4th down. It wasn't typical garbage time stats. Saints wanted to slaughter us. That being said Tyrod was so bad he couldnt even get a 1st down in garbage time...zero 1st downs by Tyrod in the 2nd half. 

6 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

I know. I would normally think the same thing but the Saints defense was still aggressive with their blitzes. They didn't all just sit back in zone. They were blitzing their offense was going for it on 4th down. It wasn't typical garbage time stats. Saints wanted to slaughter us. That being said Tyrod was so bad he couldnt even get a 1st down in garbage time...zero 1st downs by Tyrod in the 2nd half. 

They blitzed 2 out of 10 pass attempts and the other 8 they only rushed using their front 4. That is not aggressive by any means.

At least this benching will prevent another team from running for almost 300 yards on them . . . :)

Just now, Carmen Cygni said:

I do, and it's my opinion on the matter.

Was Zay Jones benched after he dropped a game winning TD? It's a very questionable midseason change to be made.

Tyrod is below average starting quarter back. The Saints game was an awful game and definitely not his average game but he has a whole list of games that just aren't good enough and not enough games that show you he is worth hanging on to. 

Against the Panthers he threw for 125 yards and averaged 5 yards a pass. Against the Bengals he had 166 yards for 4.9 yards a pass. He's thrown for over 250 yards twice on the season. Tyrod is not a bad quarterback but he can't get the job done when teams make him beat them. It's never more apparent then late in the game or when he is trailing. I don't think any of us hate Tyrod but it's quite clear what we have in Tyrod and it isn't based on one game. 

1 minute ago, LeeEvans said:

Tyrod is below average starting quarter back. The Saints game was an awful game and definitely not his average game but he has a whole list of games that just aren't good enough and not enough games that show you he is worth hanging on to. 

Against the Panthers he threw for 125 yards and averaged 5 yards a pass. Against the Bengals he had 166 yards for 4.9 yards a pass. He's thrown for over 250 yards twice on the season. Tyrod is not a bad quarterback but he can't get the job done when teams make him beat them. It's never more apparent then late in the game or when he is trailing. I don't think any of us hate Tyrod but it's quite clear what we have in Tyrod and it isn't based on one game. 

Granted, but Tyrod's hands have been tied this year with the lack of serviceable receivers. Frankly, I'm not entirely sure any QB could've posted many yards in that situation. And to subject a rookie to it... I think you're going to see more turnovers than anything... but we'll see.

It's easy to look at the stats and see a 94.1 QBR and his highlights (avoiding sacks) and assume Tyrod is a good QB.

Those stats are padded by a low INT/attempt and high completion percentage. Don't get me wrong, those are both excellent things, but when it comes to the math of a QBR, it masks the clear flaws that prevent him from being an NFL QB. It is fools gold. He is Trent Edwards with the ability to scramble and avoid sacks.

Tyrod is 31st in the NFL in YPG.
Tyrod is 26th in the NFL in YPA.
The Bills top receivers (in order), LeSean McCoy, Charles Clay, Jordan Mathews, Nick O'Leary

Tyrod has low INTs and a high completion percentage because he doesn't actually make the type of pass attempts that help to win ball games.

If you think Nathan Peterman cannot replicate what Tyrod does by dinking and dunking to McCoy and Clay, then you are mistaken.

1 minute ago, LeeEvans said:

Also of note, those are two top defensive units (Bengals top 3 vs the pass). Overall, I do see the point you are making in saying he's not a gamechanging factor.

1 minute ago, Carmen Cygni said:

They blitzed 2 out of 10 pass attempts and the other 8 they only rushed using their front 4. That is not aggressive by any means.

Let me correct that for you. Aggressive for most blow out games. Usually Saints defense blitzes about 28% of the time. Not sure what it is this year but that's what's it been in the past. So 20% is still pretty aggressive for a typical blowout game. Heck there are some teams that don't even blitz 20% of an entire close game let alone late in 4th quarter of a blowout

Archived