Guards

RSkinGM

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

As much as I disliked our draft this year, I can't blame them for not upgrading at guard. It wasn't a great class at guard/IOL. We could have grabbed Zion Johnson @ 16 and though. 

I like him, wouldn’t have taken him over any of the 1st rnd WRs or Devin Lloyd

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Norwell is > than Flowers. Wes S & Train Turner are about = to Flowers and they are 1/2 the cost. We drafted a guard who’s looked good in preseason, we still have Saahdiq Charles as well & Keith Ismael a c/g we drafted in 2020 who played valuable snaps last year at C.

Norwell hasn’t been good since he was in Carolina. Turner is basically the same. They could’ve worked out a new deal with the younger Flowers and played Schweitzer. I just don’t see the point in what they did other than we went back out and got more former Panthers. 

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Norwell hasn’t been good since he was in Carolina. Turner is basically the same. They could’ve worked out a new deal with the younger Flowers and played Schweitzer. I just don’t see the point in what they did other than we went back out and got more former Panthers. 

I don’t think that true. His play has declined and he never lived up to his contract but I think he was still good in JAX. Would love @.Buzz to chime in if they would though as they would have great insight. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lavar703 said:

He’s played well for us so far. There have been no issues. On one screen last week he got out and cleared the way. Saahdiq Charles did the same last night. I don’t think our guards are going to be an issues. Yes, we don’t have an all pro caliber RG anymore but we have a good solid group & depth at the position.

36 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He’s played well for us so far. There have been no issues. On one screen last week he got out and cleared the way. Saahdiq Charles did the same last night. I don’t think our guards are going to be an issues. Yes, we don’t have an all pro caliber RG anymore but we have a good solid group & depth at the position.

If they can get their over the hill axxes on the field.

4 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

If they can get their over the hill axxes on the field.

Well Norwell is playing. Even if Turner doesn’t play, Wes S is arguably better & Charles looks like he’s taken the next step in his development, Chris Paul our 7th rnd rookie has played well & My favorite idea is to play Cosmi at RG & start Lucas at RT. 

3 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

My favorite idea is to play Cosmi at RG & start Lucas at RT. 

Why? I rather keep Lucas as the swing tackle and let Cosmi develop as our 10 year RT .

I don’t care about a years from now, I care about having the best OL talent starting 1-5 & Lucas is our 4th or 5th best OL. If we had an injury to Leno he can switch to LT, Cosmi goes to RT & Turner or Wes S comes in to play RG. No biggie IMO.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Impressive effort and violence.  I have always thought his appropriate position is left guard.  Not sure if the kid will ever get it together, but I think they wasted a lot of time moving him to the right side when he historically has played on the left.  LT is obviously too much for him, but left guard seems like a really good fit.  I would love to see him succeed.

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

Impressive effort and violence.  I have always thought his appropriate position is left guard.  Not sure if the kid will ever get it together, but I think they wasted a lot of time moving him to the right side when he historically has played on the left.  LT is obviously too much for him, but left guard seems like a really good fit.  I would love to see him succeed.

I think he’s already there, just has to stay healthy. I agree, guard isn’t definitely a better spot for him than OT, just like w/ Scherff.